Thunder Strike Down Senators 10-1
The Trenton Thunder defeated the Harrisburg Senators 10-1 Friday night at FNB Field. With Altoona's loss, the Senators remain three games back in the standings and four games behind in the loss column for second place in the Western Division with 23 games to play.
The start of the game was delayed 31 minutes due to weather.
After neither team scored over the first two frames, Trey Amburgey hit a grand slam in the third against Senators starting pitcher Jaron Long.
Mandy Alvarez and Brandon Wagner hit back-to-back home runs in the fifth to put Trenton ahead 6-0.
The Senators scored their lone run in the fifth. After Drew Ward hit a leadoff triple, Zach Collier drove him home with a single to left.
The Thunder scored three more in the sixth and tacked on one in the ninth en route to the 10-1 victory.
Long (4-8) allowed nine runs on 10 hits over five and two thirds frames. Trenton starter Brian Keller (9-8) picked up the win with six and two-thirds innings of one run ball.
Hunter Jones and Collier each finished with a pair of hits in the loss.
The Senators and Thunder play game two of their series Saturday night. Sterling Sharp takes the mound for the Senators against Trenton starter Jordan Foley. First pitch is scheduled for 6:00 p.m. at FNB Field. The game can be heard on CBS Sports Harrisburg 96.5 & 95.3 FM and 1400 AM or at www.cbssportsharrisburg.com beginning at 5:45 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from August 10, 2018
- 'Dogs Win 10-9 for the Second Straight Game - Portland Sea Dogs
- Marvel Shines in Debut, Curve Bats Go Silent in Loss - Altoona Curve
- Sea Dogs Get Better of RubberDucks in Hitting Duel - Akron RubberDucks
- Pinch-Hit Walkoff Gives Fightins Sixth Straight Win - Reading Fightin Phils
- Pitching Dominates in 3-1 Win over Altoona - Erie SeaWolves
- League-Best 'Cats Inch Closer to Playoff Berth - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Randolph Lifts off to Spoil Ponies' Late Push - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Thunder Strike Down Senators 10-1 - Harrisburg Senators
- Squirrels Zipped by Zeuch; 'Cats Take Opener - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Rodriguez Lifts Baysox to Come from Behind Win - Bowie Baysox
- Three Home Runs Power Thunder to Victory - Trenton Thunder
- No Relief as Sox Undress Los Chivos - Hartford Yard Goats
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: Game #117 - Rumble Ponies (55-61) at Fightin Phils (55-60) - 7:15 PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Sea Dogs Game Notes August 10th at Akron - Portland Sea Dogs
- RubberDucks Broadcaster Jim Clark to Sign "Rally 'Round Cleveland - the Story of the 1974 Franchise-Saving Cleveland Indians" Saturday - Akron RubberDucks
- Game Notes vs. Altoona - Erie SeaWolves
- Pro Golfer Woody Austin to Throw First Pitch - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Harrisburg Senators Stories
- Senators Eliminated with 12-5 Loss
- Harrisburg Senators Game Information & Starting Lineup vs. Bowie - Game 4 WDCS
- Early Deficit too Much for Senators to Overcome
- Harrisburg Senators Game Information and Starting Lineup vs Bowie, Game 3, WDCS
- Senators Knot Series in 12