'Dogs Win 10-9 for the Second Straight Game
Akron, Ohio - Bobby Dalbec snapped a 9-9 tie with a game-winning RBI single in the ninth inning, lifting the Portland Sea Dogs (48-67) to a 10-9 win over the Akron RubberDucks (66-51) on Friday night at Canal Park. Portland has won back-to-back games by 10-9 scores.
Josh Taylor (2-4) worked 2.2 scoreless on two hits and four strikeouts to earn the win. In the ninth inning, Taylor allowed a lead-off single but retired the next three batters to end the game.
Portland jumped out to a 1-0 lead against Sean Brady (ND) in the third inning. Deiner Lopez reached on a two-base error by 3B Joe Sever, stole third base, and scored on a throwing error by the catcher.
Akron responded in their half of the third with five runs off Daniel McGrath and Jake Cosart. McGrath walked four straight batters and yielded a sac-fly before Cosart took over. Tyler Krieger delivered a run-scoring single, and two wild pitches by Cosart scored runs.
The Sea Dogs answered the call in the fourth, scoring five off Brady. Dalbec knocked in the first run with a sacrifice fly. Tate Matheny brought home a run with an infield single, and Austin Rei clubbed a three-run homer (#7) to left.
The Rubber Ducks scored a run in the sixth on a two-out RBI single from Gian Paul Gonzalez, but once again, the two teams responded, as they each scored three times in the seventh. Jordan Betts blasted a two-run homer (#6) to right capping off the three-run rally. Ka'ai Tom tied the game with a two-run single off Taylor in the seventh.
Portland snapped an eight-game losing streak at Canal Park and tied the season series at two games apiece. Akron had a season-high five wild pitches but fanned 15 batters. Portland's pitchers issued nine walks but fanned 11.
Michael Chavis continued his hot hitting, going 3-for-4 and is 13-for-20 on the roadtrip. Johnny Bladel went 2-for-4 with three runs scored.
The Sea Dogs and Akron RubberDucks (Indians affiliate) continue their series on Saturday night at Canal Park. Right-hander Teddy Stankiewicz (7-9, 4.44) makes the start for the Sea Dogs. Akron sends righty Tristan McKenzie (6-3, 2.965) to the mound. Radio coverage with Mike Antonellis begins at 6:50 PM on the WPEI U.S. Cellular Sea Dogs Radio Network. MiLB.TV starts at 7:00 PM.
Tickets for any remaining game at Hadlock Field are available at seadogs.com or 207-879-9500.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from August 10, 2018
- 'Dogs Win 10-9 for the Second Straight Game - Portland Sea Dogs
- Marvel Shines in Debut, Curve Bats Go Silent in Loss - Altoona Curve
- Sea Dogs Get Better of RubberDucks in Hitting Duel - Akron RubberDucks
- Pinch-Hit Walkoff Gives Fightins Sixth Straight Win - Reading Fightin Phils
- Pitching Dominates in 3-1 Win over Altoona - Erie SeaWolves
- League-Best 'Cats Inch Closer to Playoff Berth - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Randolph Lifts off to Spoil Ponies' Late Push - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Thunder Strike Down Senators 10-1 - Harrisburg Senators
- Squirrels Zipped by Zeuch; 'Cats Take Opener - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Rodriguez Lifts Baysox to Come from Behind Win - Bowie Baysox
- Three Home Runs Power Thunder to Victory - Trenton Thunder
- No Relief as Sox Undress Los Chivos - Hartford Yard Goats
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: Game #117 - Rumble Ponies (55-61) at Fightin Phils (55-60) - 7:15 PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Sea Dogs Game Notes August 10th at Akron - Portland Sea Dogs
- RubberDucks Broadcaster Jim Clark to Sign "Rally 'Round Cleveland - the Story of the 1974 Franchise-Saving Cleveland Indians" Saturday - Akron RubberDucks
- Game Notes vs. Altoona - Erie SeaWolves
- Pro Golfer Woody Austin to Throw First Pitch - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.