Phillips and Galvas Strike and IceHogs Earn Point in Shootout Loss in Rosemont
Rosemont, IL - Defensemen Isaak Phillips and Jakub Galvas each scored their first goals of the season early in the second period, but the Rockford IceHogs (5-7-1-1) dropped a 3-2 shootout decision to the Chicago Wolves (10-4-1-1) at Allstate Arena Saturday evening.
The contest marked the second time in as many meetings the IceHogs and Wolves battled to the breakaway showdown, with the IceHogs taking a 3-2 win last Saturday in Rosemont.
Wolves forward Max Letunov opened the game scoring on the power play 11:55 into the contest, snapping a shot over IceHogs goalie Collin Delia (SOL, 26 saves on 28 shots) from the right-wing faceoff circle.
The IceHogs responded in the second period with a quick strike from Phillips 33 seconds into the frame. Forward Evan Barratt found Phillips at the bottom of the right-wing circle for his first goal of the season. Moments later, Galvas picked up his first goal of the campaign and gave the IceHogs a 2-1 lead, banking a shot off a member of the Wolves and past netminder Alex Lyon (W, 17 saves on 19 shots) 5:11.
As the clock wound down in the third period, the Wolves pushed back into the game and grabbed a game-tying marker from C.J. Smith with 5:19 left in regulation time to force overtime and eventually a shootout for the second consecutive meeting.
In the breakaway completion IceHogs forwards Michal Teply, D.J. Busdeker, and Lukas Reichel were denied by Lyon, and Wolves forward Josh Livo provided the game-winning walk-off goal in the bottom of the third round. The IceHogs finished the contest 0-for-4 on the power play while the Wolves went 1-for-4.
The Rockford IceHogs return home to BMO Harris Bank Center to complete a three-game in three-day weekend tomorrow, Sunday, Nov. 28 against the Milwaukee Admirals at 4:00 p.m. Tickets start as low as $11! Buy Tickets
Watch and listen to the action on the IceHogs Broadcast Network presented by BMO Harris Bank! Tune in from your favorite device, at home or on the road at IceHogs.com and on the IceHogs app! Fans can also watch every IceHogs home game and select road games this season on 23.3 Circle TV and every game on AHLTV and listen in on all of Mid-West Family's local stations including 104.9 The X, B103, 95.3 The Bull, and Rockford Greatest Hits 100.5 and featured on Rock River Current.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 28, 2021
- Howarth and Nylander Push IceHogs over Admirals with 2-1 Victory - Rockford IceHogs
- Ads Win Streak in Rockford Snapped - Milwaukee Admirals
- Griffins Drop Sixth Straight against Chicago - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Wild Fall to the Silver Knights, 6-5 - Iowa Wild
- Come-From-Behind Effort Propels Silver Knights to 6-5 Victory over Wild - Henderson Silver Knights
- Anaheim Ducks Recall Groulx - San Diego Gulls
- Moose Make Most of Shots in Second Period of Win over Texas - Manitoba Moose
- Wolves Complete Weekend Sweep - Chicago Wolves
- Stars Score Two in the Third But Fall 5-3 in Manitoba - Texas Stars
- Checkers Fall to First-Place Comets 5-2 - Charlotte Checkers
- Comets Laberge Leads Team against Checkers in 5-2 Win - Utica Comets
- Panthers Assign Aleksi Heponiemi to Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- St. Louis Blues Recall F Logan Brown from T-Birds - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Matt Berry Joins Griffins on PTO - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Hogs Game Day: IceHogs Complete Three-Game in Three-Day Weekend Today vs. Admirals at BMO Harris Bank Center - Rockford IceHogs
- Roadrunners Secure Comeback Win Over Canucks - Tucson Roadrunners
- Dostal, Gulls Down Bakersfield, 2-1 - San Diego Gulls
- Abbotsford Canucks Lose Heartbreaker in the Desert - Abbotsford Canucks
- Phillips and Galvas Strike and IceHogs Earn Point in Shootout Loss in Rosemont - Rockford IceHogs
- Czarnik Leads Islanders over Phantoms 4-1 - Bridgeport Islanders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rockford IceHogs Stories
- IceHogs Season Comes to an End, Wolves Advance to Central Division Finals
- IceHogs Look to Keep Season Alive with Win over Wolves Tonight at the BMO
- IceHogs Outshot, Overpowered by Wolves
- IceHogs and Wolves Meet for Game 2 of Central Division Semifinals Tonight in Rosemont
- Hogs Fall to Wolves in Game 1 of Central Division Semifinals