Pair of solo homers back Stratton's gem
WEST SACRAMENTO, CA - The Sacramento River Cats (46-70) snapped their six-game losing streak with a 2-1 victory over the El Paso Chihuahuas (65-50) behind a brilliant pitching performance from Chris Stratton and solo home runs for Myles Schroder and Peter Bourjos.
In his third start with the River Cats, right-hander Chris Stratton was excellent in a season-high seven innings pitched. He struck out eight batters and allowed just one run on five hits. Stratton tossed 106 pitches (72 strikes) and moved to 2-0 at Triple-A this season with a 3.50 ERA.
San Francisco Giants reliever Hunter Strickland continued to rehab his broken right hand, and provided a scoreless eighth inning with two strikeouts and hovered in the mid-90's with his fastball. Submariner Tyler Rogers came on in the ninth and needed just seven pitches to nail down his second save of the season.
The River Cats jumped out to a 1-0 lead in the second inning when Myles Schroder launched his ninth homer of the year to left field. El Paso would tie the game 1-1 in the fourth, but Peter Bourjos would untie the game with a towering solo home run that would prove to be the winning run.
Sacramento is back in action tomorrow for game two of this four-game series. River Cats ace Casey Kelly (10-9, 4.78) is set to take the mound, while the Chihuahuas counter with fellow right-hander Kyle Lloyd (3-1, 6.55). First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. (PT). Catch all of the action live online at rivercats.com, on the MiLB First Pitch app, and on the air on Money 105.FM.
- Schroder's ninth home run adds one more to his already career-high output this season. He previously hit seven long balls in 2015 and 2017 with Double-A Richmond.
- With the win tonight, the River Cats move to 5-21 against left-handed pitchers and their first win against a southpaw since June 25 against Albuquerque.
The Sacramento River Cats are the Triple-A affiliate of the three-time World Champion San Francisco Giants. The team plays at Raley Field in West Sacramento, consistently voted one of the top ballparks in America. River Cats Season Tickets, Mini-Plans, and Flex Plans can be purchased for the 2018 season by calling the River Cats Ticket Hotline at (916) 371-HITS (4487). For more information about the River Cats, visit www.rivercats.com. For information on other events at Raley Field, visit www.raleyfield.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 10, 2018
- Blash, Walsh Lead Bees over Rainiers - Salt Lake Bees
- Rainiers Bounced By Bees, 10-4 - Tacoma Rainiers
- I-Cubs Bake the 'Cakes, 4-2 - Iowa Cubs
- Redbirds Turn Slow Start into 8-4 Win - Memphis Redbirds
- Bassitt's Arm, Barret's Bat Lead Sounds to 11th Straight Win - Nashville Sounds
- Brooks Quality Start Can't Break Sounds Rhythm - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Sloppy Inning Snaps Baby Cakes' Win Streak - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Hernandez Keys Chasers 3rd Straight Shutout in 2-0 Win - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Round Rock Narrowly Bested by Omaha, 2-0 - Round Rock Express
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (60-55) at Colorado Springs Sky Sox (60-53) - Nashville Sounds
- Reno Aces Game Notes at Las Vegas - Reno Aces
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 10, 2018 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Memphis Redbirds Homestand Highlights (August 13-19) - Memphis Redbirds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (72-44) at Oklahoma City Dodgers (61-52) -- - Memphis Redbirds
- Sounds Begin Seven-Game Homestand Monday - Nashville Sounds
- Vargas Extends Franchise Record with 33-Game Hit Streak - Reno Aces
- Tanielu and Tucker power Grizzlies past Isotopes 3-2 - Fresno Grizzlies
- Pair of solo homers back Stratton's gem - Sacramento River Cats
- Sacramento Out-Homers El Paso - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Express Struggles Continue After 9-0 Loss to Storm Chasers - Round Rock Express
- Winning Streak Runs to 10 Games as Sounds Rout Sky Sox - Nashville Sounds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sacramento River Cats Stories
- River Cats' 20th Season Brings Exciting Updates to Raley Field
- Dinger's Valentine's Day Dinger Grams Now Available
- Dave Brundage to Return as River Cats Manager for 2019
- Full 2019 Sacramento River Cats Schedule Now Available
- 2019 Giant Pack Now Available Online for Thanksgiving Holiday