Winning Streak Runs to 10 Games as Sounds Rout Sky Sox
COLORADO SPRINGS - The Nashville Sounds got offensive Thursday night to outlast the Colorado Springs Sky Sox 18-9 at Security Service Field. The win extended Nashville's season-best winning streak to 10 games, which is the second longest in the franchise's Pacific Coast League era.
Big innings were plentiful as each team had at least two innings in which they scored at least three runs. Nashville scored five in the first, six in the fourth, and three in the ninth while Colorado Springs posted three in the third and five in the fifth. Sheldon Neuse collected a career-high four hits while Dustin Fowler also recorded four hits on the night. BJ Boyd drove in a career-high six runs while Neuse, Beau Taylor, and Franklin Barreto each drove in three to pace Nashville's offense. The 18 runs scored and 19 hits by the Sounds set new season-highs.
The Sounds wasted no time getting on the scoreboard as they sent 10 batters to the plate and put up five runs in the first inning. Nashville chased Colorado Springs starter Brandon Woodruff from the game after eight batters. Barreto and Neuse collected back-to-back RBI-doubles while Boyd tallied a run-scoring single.
Three innings later Nashville again sent 10 batters to the plate. In the fourth inning the Sounds took advantage of a pair of run-scoring infield singles from Anthony Garcia and Neuse before Boyd cleared the bases with a mammoth grand slam the opposite way to make it 12-3.
Again 10 batters came to the plate in the fourth inning for the Sounds who put up six runs in the frame highlighted by Boyd's grand slam. Colorado Springs did not back down despite looking down the barrel a 12-3 deficit. The Sky Sox scored five runs in the fifth to keep the game within reach for a time before Nashville pulled away with two runs in the eighth and three in the ninth.
The Sounds were able to see the game out and emerge with the 18-9 victory. Carlos Ramirez earned his second win of the season with 1 2/3 scoreless innings while Josh Lucas allowed a run in two innings and Raul Alcantara tossed a scoreless ninth inning.
The completion of the suspended game from May 3 is scheduled for Friday night followed by game two of the four-game series with the Sky Sox. Right-hander Chris Bassitt (4-4, 4.82) starts for Nashville against right-hander Adrian Houser (1-2, 5.74) for Colorado Springs in the regularly scheduled game. The resumption of the suspended game is scheduled for 6:00 p.m. First pitch of the regularly scheduled game is scheduled for 7:40 p.m.
With tonight's 18-9 win, the Sounds improved to 60-55 on the season.
The Sounds extended their season-best winning streak to 10 games and have set a season-high mark of five games over .500.
The 10-game winning streak is the second-longest winning streak for Nashville in the PCL-era (1998-present).
BJ Boyd's fourth-inning grand slam was the third grand slam of the season hit by the Sounds. Anthony Garcia has the other two.
Thursday night's game was the first time this season the Sounds had two innings of at least five runs in the same game. They scored five runs in the first and six in the fourth.
The game lasted three hours and 55 minutes. It was the longest nine-inning game of the season for the Sounds.
The 2018 season is the Sounds' 41st in franchise history and fourth as the Oakland Athletics' top affiliate. Single-game tickets are available now by calling (615) 690-4487 or by visiting www.nashvillesounds.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 10, 2018
- Blash, Walsh Lead Bees over Rainiers - Salt Lake Bees
- Rainiers Bounced By Bees, 10-4 - Tacoma Rainiers
- I-Cubs Bake the 'Cakes, 4-2 - Iowa Cubs
- Redbirds Turn Slow Start into 8-4 Win - Memphis Redbirds
- Bassitt's Arm, Barret's Bat Lead Sounds to 11th Straight Win - Nashville Sounds
- Brooks Quality Start Can't Break Sounds Rhythm - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Sloppy Inning Snaps Baby Cakes' Win Streak - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Hernandez Keys Chasers 3rd Straight Shutout in 2-0 Win - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Round Rock Narrowly Bested by Omaha, 2-0 - Round Rock Express
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (60-55) at Colorado Springs Sky Sox (60-53) - Nashville Sounds
- Reno Aces Game Notes at Las Vegas - Reno Aces
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 10, 2018 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Memphis Redbirds Homestand Highlights (August 13-19) - Memphis Redbirds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (72-44) at Oklahoma City Dodgers (61-52) -- - Memphis Redbirds
- Sounds Begin Seven-Game Homestand Monday - Nashville Sounds
- Vargas Extends Franchise Record with 33-Game Hit Streak - Reno Aces
- Tanielu and Tucker power Grizzlies past Isotopes 3-2 - Fresno Grizzlies
- Pair of solo homers back Stratton's gem - Sacramento River Cats
- Sacramento Out-Homers El Paso - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Express Struggles Continue After 9-0 Loss to Storm Chasers - Round Rock Express
- Winning Streak Runs to 10 Games as Sounds Rout Sky Sox - Nashville Sounds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Nashville Sounds Stories
- Sounds' Winning Streak Snapped at 15 Games
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Round Rock Express (53-68) at Nashville Sounds (66-55)
- Sounds Match Franchise Record with 15th Straight Win
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Round Rock Express (53-67) at Nashville Sounds (65-55)
- Sounds Extend Winning Streak to 14 Games with Walk-Off at First Tennessee Park