P-Bruins Fall 4-3 to Phantoms
Providence, RI - The Providence Bruins fell 4-3 to the Lehigh Valley Phantoms Friday night, missing out on a chance to clinch a place in the 2019 Calder Cup Playoffs. The P-Bruins got their goals from Paul Carey, Gemel Smith and Jordan Szwarz, while Zane McIntyre made his 45th start of the season in net.
Lehigh Valley started off strong when Colin McDonald netted the first goal of the game and his 12th of the season at 5:18. Matthew Strome and Cole Bardreau earned the assists on the play that gave the Phantoms a 1-0 lead. Providence struggled to keep up as Lehigh Valley's Byron Froese tallied another goal at 7:51. Mark Friedman and James de Haas earned helpers on the play giving the Phantoms a 2-0 lead over the P-Bruins into the locker room.
The Phantoms extended their lead at the start of the second when Greg Carey tallied their third goal of the game and his 29th of the season at 1:04. Corban Knight assisted on the power play goal that gave Lehigh Valley a 3-0 advantage. The Phantoms continued to pour it on when Knight potted their fourth goal of the game at 18:14, assisted by Bardreau. Providence fought to make a comeback as Paul Carey lit the lamp with his 27th of the season. Gemel Smith earned the helper on the play that put the P-Bruins on the board. Smith netted a goal only a few minutes later, beating Felix Sandstrom with just one second left on the clock. Jordan Szwarz and Lee Stempniak assisted on the power play goal that kept Providence alive trailing just 4-2 into the second intermission.
The P-Bruins continued their comeback as Jordan Szwarz netted Providence's third goal of the night and his 23rd of the season at 9:35. Anton Blidh and Jakub Zboril earned assists on the play as the P-Bruins trimmed their deficit to one. Both teams continued a steady back and forth fight throughout the remainder of the third period, but Providence fell short to Lehigh Valley 4-3 in regulation.
McIntyre stopped 25 shots while Sandstrom stopped 40 shots. Providence was 2/6 on the power play and 2-3 on the penalty kill. The P-Bruins are back at the Dunk for their final regular season game Sunday April 14 when they take on the Springfield Thunderbirds at 3:05 pm.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 12, 2019
- Captain Cal O'Reilly Leads Wild to 2-1 Victory over Chicago - Iowa Wild
- Barracuda Put Eagles Playoff Hopes in Doubt After 3-1 Win - San Jose Barracuda
- Comeback Falls Short in Home Finale - San Antonio Rampage
- Stars Fight for 4-3 Win in San Antonio to Stay Alive - Texas Stars
- Barracuda Score Three Unanswered to Top Eagles, 3-1 - Colorado Eagles
- St. Denis and Aho each score in Bridgeport's penultimate game of the regular season - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Griffins' Fate Undetermined Heading into Saturday's Regular Season Finale - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Amerks Fall in Overtime in Regular Season Home Finale - Rochester Americans
- Moose Tops Grand Rapids, 4-1 - Manitoba Moose
- Struthers Gets First Pro Goal in 5-1 Loss to Syracuse - Laval Rocket
- Iowa Too Wild for Wolves in OT - Chicago Wolves
- Penguins Defeated by Comets in Utica - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Sold out MassMutual Center Sees T-Birds Stomp Sound Tigers, 7-2 - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Sandstrom Sensational in Phantoms Debut - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Devils Stun Amerks in Overtime, 4-3 - Binghamton Devils
- Boucher's Hat Trick Leads Comets To Wild Win Over Penguins - Utica Comets
- Pack Doubled up by Hershey in Home Finale - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Monsters Upended by Checkers 2-1 in Final Regular-Season Home Game - Cleveland Monsters
- Bears Blowout Wolf Pack, 6-3 - Hershey Bears
- Crunch Ground Rocket, 5-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- P-Bruins Fall 4-3 to Phantoms - Providence Bruins
- Checkers Top Cleveland in Regular-Season Finale - Charlotte Checkers
- Game #67 Preview: Tucson vs. San Diego - Tucson Roadrunners
- Hamilton Assigned to Walleye - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Flames Sign Center Adam Ruzicka - Stockton Heat
- Amerks Sign Luukkonen to Amateur Tryout - Rochester Americans
- Ontario's Brett Sutter Wins AHL's Fred T. Hunt Memorial Award - AHL
- Brett Sutter Voted Winner of AHL's Fred T. Hunt Memorial Award - Ontario Reign
- Iowa Wild's Landon Ferraro Named Winner of Yanick Dupre Memorial Award as AHL's Man of the Year - Iowa Wild
- Heat, Reign Square off Friday in Ontario - Stockton Heat
- Iowa's Landon Ferraro Named 2018-19 AHL Man of the Year - AHL
- Sound Tigers Cap Regular Season this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game Preview: Bears at Wolf Pack, 7:15 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Blue Jackets Recall Defenseman Adam Clendening from Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Providence Bruins Stories
- P-Bruins Score Seven Goals, Defeat Belleville 7-4
- P-Bruins Fall to Laval Rocket, 3-2
- P-Bruins Recall Kyle Keyser from ECHL's Atlanta Gladiators
- P-Bruins Comeback Falls Just Short as Laval Rocket Wins in Shootout, 5-4
- P-Bruins Fall to Springfield Thunderbirds, 5-2