Amerks Sign Luukkonen to Amateur Tryout
(Rochester, NY) - Rochester Americans General Manager Randy Sexton announced today that the team has signed goaltender Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen to an Amateur Tryout contract.
Luukkonen, 20, joins Rochester having recently completed his first season with Sudbury Wolves of the Ontario Hockey League, where he posted a 38-11-2-2 record in 53 appearances, leading the league in in both wins (38) and shutouts (6). He also finished second and third among all OHL netminders with a .920 save percentage and a 2.50 goals-against average, respectively, while his 38 wins set a franchise record for the Wolves, who advanced to the postseason for the second time in three years following a second-place finish in the OHL's Central Division.
The 6-foot-5, 214-pound netminder also compiled a 4-3 record with a 3.27 goals-against average and a .906 save percentage in eight playoff games for Sudbury.
Prior to signing a three-year, entry-level contract with the Buffalo Sabres, Luukkonen spent the bulk of the 2017-18 season playing professionally for Leki (Mestis) of Finland's second division. In 24 games for Leki last season, he posted an 11-11-2 record and finished seventh in the league with a .909 save percentage.
Buffalo's second-round pick (54th overall) of the 2017 NHL Draft, Luukkonen was rated the No. 1 European goaltender by NHL Central Scouting in 2017. During the 2016-17 campaign, Luukkonen backstopped HPK (Finland Jr.) to a championship with the league's best goals-against average in both the regular season (1.78) and the postseason (2.01).
Internationally, the Espoo, Finland, native has represented his country on numerous occasions, most recently winning the gold medal with a 3-2 win over Team USA at the 2019 World Junior Championship in Canada. Luukkonen also participated in the 2018 World Junior Championship in Buffalo, and prior to that, took home silver and gold medals at the 2017 and 2016 Under-18 World Championships, respectively.
Amerks 2019-20 Season Ticket Memberships, which start as low as just $14 per game, are on-sale now. Season tickets for the 2019-20 season can be purchased online by visiting www.amerks.com/earlybird while current Season Ticket Members can renew their seats at www.amerks.com/renew. Full-season ticket member benefits include, but are not limited to, Riverside Club VIP Room access with Amerks Alumni, family meet and greet and annual Skate with the Players event, an exclusive preseason Ice Breaker Party and much more. For more information, visit www.amerks.com or call 1-855-GO-AMERKS.
Images from this story
Goaltender Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 12, 2019
- Captain Cal O'Reilly Leads Wild to 2-1 Victory over Chicago - Iowa Wild
- Barracuda Put Eagles Playoff Hopes in Doubt After 3-1 Win - San Jose Barracuda
- Comeback Falls Short in Home Finale - San Antonio Rampage
- Stars Fight for 4-3 Win in San Antonio to Stay Alive - Texas Stars
- Barracuda Score Three Unanswered to Top Eagles, 3-1 - Colorado Eagles
- St. Denis and Aho each score in Bridgeport's penultimate game of the regular season - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Griffins' Fate Undetermined Heading into Saturday's Regular Season Finale - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Amerks Fall in Overtime in Regular Season Home Finale - Rochester Americans
- Moose Tops Grand Rapids, 4-1 - Manitoba Moose
- Struthers Gets First Pro Goal in 5-1 Loss to Syracuse - Laval Rocket
- Iowa Too Wild for Wolves in OT - Chicago Wolves
- Penguins Defeated by Comets in Utica - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Sold out MassMutual Center Sees T-Birds Stomp Sound Tigers, 7-2 - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Sandstrom Sensational in Phantoms Debut - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Devils Stun Amerks in Overtime, 4-3 - Binghamton Devils
- Boucher's Hat Trick Leads Comets To Wild Win Over Penguins - Utica Comets
- Pack Doubled up by Hershey in Home Finale - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Monsters Upended by Checkers 2-1 in Final Regular-Season Home Game - Cleveland Monsters
- Bears Blowout Wolf Pack, 6-3 - Hershey Bears
- Crunch Ground Rocket, 5-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- P-Bruins Fall 4-3 to Phantoms - Providence Bruins
- Checkers Top Cleveland in Regular-Season Finale - Charlotte Checkers
- Game #67 Preview: Tucson vs. San Diego - Tucson Roadrunners
- Hamilton Assigned to Walleye - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Flames Sign Center Adam Ruzicka - Stockton Heat
- Amerks Sign Luukkonen to Amateur Tryout - Rochester Americans
- Ontario's Brett Sutter Wins AHL's Fred T. Hunt Memorial Award - AHL
- Brett Sutter Voted Winner of AHL's Fred T. Hunt Memorial Award - Ontario Reign
- Iowa Wild's Landon Ferraro Named Winner of Yanick Dupre Memorial Award as AHL's Man of the Year - Iowa Wild
- Heat, Reign Square off Friday in Ontario - Stockton Heat
- Iowa's Landon Ferraro Named 2018-19 AHL Man of the Year - AHL
- Sound Tigers Cap Regular Season this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game Preview: Bears at Wolf Pack, 7:15 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Blue Jackets Recall Defenseman Adam Clendening from Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.