Devils Stun Amerks in Overtime, 4-3
ROCHESTER - Nathan Bastian scored the game-winning goal as the Binghamton Devils defeated the Rochester Americans in overtime, 4-3, in front of 8,367 at BlueCross Arena on Friday night.
After 17 minutes of scoreless hockey, Rochester scored two goals just two minutes apart. William Borgen scored on a shot from the point that took a fluke bounce off the end wall and trickled in behind Cam Johnson for a 1-0 lead.
Victor Olofsson made it 2-0 with 1:36 remaining in the first, beating Johnson on a breakaway opportunity after sneaking behind the defense and taking a pass from Kyle Criscuolo. The Devils entered the first intermission being outshot 13-3 and trailing by two.
The Devils came out flying to start the second period and scored two goals in 19 seconds to tie the game at two. Brandon Baddock beat Adam Wilcox with a low wrist shot on the glove side 2:50 into the second. Marian Studenic and Eric Gryba earned assists on the play.
After the ensuing puck drop, Brett Seney took a stretch pass from newcomer Jeremy Groleau and streaked down the wing into the Rochester zone. Seney beat the defense, outwaited Wilcox, and beat the netminder with a backhand shot. Groleau's assist marked his first career point in the American Hockey League. Groleau and Nick Lappin earned assists on the play.
Binghamton took a 3-2 lead 14:32 into the middle frame as Eric Tangradi scored on the power play. Colton White sent the puck to Ryan Schemlzer who hit Tangradi to the left of the crease. Tangradi forced the puck into the net to give the Devils a 3-2 advantage heading to the third.
That lead would last 1:55 into the final period, as Rochester evened the score just as the power play came to an end. Taylor Leier spotted Rasmus Asplund alone in front of the Binghamton net and Asplund fired a quick wrister past Johnson.
After a chaotic overtime period, Nathan Bastian was able to end the game with 14 seconds remaining. Eric Gryba launched a shot towards the net and Wilcox kicked out a big rebound to Bastian who fired it into the yawning cage to give the Devils a 4-3 victory.
The Devils return home for the final home game for Fan Appreciation Night, tomorrow, against Laval at 7:05 p.m. Get the night started with a Devils Block Party at 4:30 p.m. and get a FREE Mike Kolcun Insurance team photo giveaway. In addition, a Jack Sherman Toyota car giveaway, meet the Binghamton Rumble Ponies, and stay after the game for a player game used stick giveaway on the ice. Call or text "TICKETS" to 607-722-7367.
Binghamton Devils full season memberships are now available for the 2019-20 season! Get great benefits such as FREE New Jersey Devils NHL tickets, exclusive access to Devils players, a brand new referral program, gift cards, and much more! For information on becoming a member, text "MEMBER" to 607-722-7367.
Images from this story
Binghamton Devils defenseman Eric Gryba vs. the Rochester Americans
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 12, 2019
- Captain Cal O'Reilly Leads Wild to 2-1 Victory over Chicago - Iowa Wild
- Barracuda Put Eagles Playoff Hopes in Doubt After 3-1 Win - San Jose Barracuda
- Comeback Falls Short in Home Finale - San Antonio Rampage
- Stars Fight for 4-3 Win in San Antonio to Stay Alive - Texas Stars
- Barracuda Score Three Unanswered to Top Eagles, 3-1 - Colorado Eagles
- St. Denis and Aho each score in Bridgeport's penultimate game of the regular season - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Griffins' Fate Undetermined Heading into Saturday's Regular Season Finale - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Amerks Fall in Overtime in Regular Season Home Finale - Rochester Americans
- Moose Tops Grand Rapids, 4-1 - Manitoba Moose
- Struthers Gets First Pro Goal in 5-1 Loss to Syracuse - Laval Rocket
- Iowa Too Wild for Wolves in OT - Chicago Wolves
- Penguins Defeated by Comets in Utica - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Sold out MassMutual Center Sees T-Birds Stomp Sound Tigers, 7-2 - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Sandstrom Sensational in Phantoms Debut - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Devils Stun Amerks in Overtime, 4-3 - Binghamton Devils
- Boucher's Hat Trick Leads Comets To Wild Win Over Penguins - Utica Comets
- Pack Doubled up by Hershey in Home Finale - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Monsters Upended by Checkers 2-1 in Final Regular-Season Home Game - Cleveland Monsters
- Bears Blowout Wolf Pack, 6-3 - Hershey Bears
- Crunch Ground Rocket, 5-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- P-Bruins Fall 4-3 to Phantoms - Providence Bruins
- Checkers Top Cleveland in Regular-Season Finale - Charlotte Checkers
- Game #67 Preview: Tucson vs. San Diego - Tucson Roadrunners
- Hamilton Assigned to Walleye - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Flames Sign Center Adam Ruzicka - Stockton Heat
- Amerks Sign Luukkonen to Amateur Tryout - Rochester Americans
- Ontario's Brett Sutter Wins AHL's Fred T. Hunt Memorial Award - AHL
- Brett Sutter Voted Winner of AHL's Fred T. Hunt Memorial Award - Ontario Reign
- Iowa Wild's Landon Ferraro Named Winner of Yanick Dupre Memorial Award as AHL's Man of the Year - Iowa Wild
- Heat, Reign Square off Friday in Ontario - Stockton Heat
- Iowa's Landon Ferraro Named 2018-19 AHL Man of the Year - AHL
- Sound Tigers Cap Regular Season this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game Preview: Bears at Wolf Pack, 7:15 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Blue Jackets Recall Defenseman Adam Clendening from Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.