Struthers Gets First Pro Goal in 5-1 Loss to Syracuse
SYRACUSE - The Laval Rocket played their second to last game of the season against the Syracuse Crunch at Onondaga County War Memorial Arena on Friday night, where the Crunch proved why they are one of the teams atop the league and defeated the Rocket by a score of 5-1.
After a difficult start for the Rocket that saw the Joël Bouchard's troops down two goals less than three minutes into the game, the visitors demonstrated their poise and maturity yet again by staying calm and working towards a comeback against the second place overall Crunch. Though the goals from Alexander Volkov and Andy Andreoff gave Syracuse a two-goal lead, Matthew Struthers was able to bring the Rocket back to within one with his first professional goal. His shot from the top of the faceoff circle on the powerplay snuck by Eddie Pasquale, who made 20 saves in his team's victory.
Carter Verhaeghe netted another early goal for the Crunch in the second period while his team was on the powerplay to make it a 3-1 game. Rocket netminder Connor LaCouvee was screened on the play that lead to Verhaeghe's goal, and Michael McNiven entered the game in relief of LaCouvee thereafter. The rising tension between the divisional rivals lead to Hayden Verbeek and Hubert Labrie dropping the gloves mid-period and though the Rocket attempted to build from the fight's momentum, Verhaeghe netted his second of the period two minutes later to make it 4-1 after forty minutes of play.
Eight penalties were distributed in the final frame but it was only in the final five minutes of play that one of them resulted in a goal. Syracuse's Alex Barre-Boulet slapped a one-timer past McNiven at 16:23, giving the Crunch a 5-1 lead while Alex Kile was serving a roughing penalty for Michael Pezzetta. The fifth goal ended up being the last of the night for either team, locking in the final score of 5-1.
The Rocket will play their final game of the season Saturday night against the Binghamton Devils.
LAV: Struthers (Alain, Fleury)
SYR: Volkov | Andreoff (Raddysh, Gaunce) | Verhaeghe (Gaunce, Conacher) | Verhaeghe (Dumont, Barre-Boulet) | Barre-Boulet (Conacher)
Goaltenders: LAV: LaCouvee (8/11), McNiven (14/16) | SYR: Pasquale (20/21)
Rocket Powerplay: 1/4 | Rocket Penalty Kill: 3/5
Three Stars: 1. Carter Verhaeghe - SYR | 2. Alex Barre-Boulet - SYR | 3. Cameron Gaunce - SYR
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 12, 2019
- Captain Cal O'Reilly Leads Wild to 2-1 Victory over Chicago - Iowa Wild
- Barracuda Put Eagles Playoff Hopes in Doubt After 3-1 Win - San Jose Barracuda
- Comeback Falls Short in Home Finale - San Antonio Rampage
- Stars Fight for 4-3 Win in San Antonio to Stay Alive - Texas Stars
- Barracuda Score Three Unanswered to Top Eagles, 3-1 - Colorado Eagles
- St. Denis and Aho each score in Bridgeport's penultimate game of the regular season - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Griffins' Fate Undetermined Heading into Saturday's Regular Season Finale - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Amerks Fall in Overtime in Regular Season Home Finale - Rochester Americans
- Moose Tops Grand Rapids, 4-1 - Manitoba Moose
- Struthers Gets First Pro Goal in 5-1 Loss to Syracuse - Laval Rocket
- Iowa Too Wild for Wolves in OT - Chicago Wolves
- Penguins Defeated by Comets in Utica - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Sold out MassMutual Center Sees T-Birds Stomp Sound Tigers, 7-2 - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Sandstrom Sensational in Phantoms Debut - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Devils Stun Amerks in Overtime, 4-3 - Binghamton Devils
- Boucher's Hat Trick Leads Comets To Wild Win Over Penguins - Utica Comets
- Pack Doubled up by Hershey in Home Finale - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Monsters Upended by Checkers 2-1 in Final Regular-Season Home Game - Cleveland Monsters
- Bears Blowout Wolf Pack, 6-3 - Hershey Bears
- Crunch Ground Rocket, 5-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- P-Bruins Fall 4-3 to Phantoms - Providence Bruins
- Checkers Top Cleveland in Regular-Season Finale - Charlotte Checkers
- Game #67 Preview: Tucson vs. San Diego - Tucson Roadrunners
- Hamilton Assigned to Walleye - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Flames Sign Center Adam Ruzicka - Stockton Heat
- Amerks Sign Luukkonen to Amateur Tryout - Rochester Americans
- Ontario's Brett Sutter Wins AHL's Fred T. Hunt Memorial Award - AHL
- Brett Sutter Voted Winner of AHL's Fred T. Hunt Memorial Award - Ontario Reign
- Iowa Wild's Landon Ferraro Named Winner of Yanick Dupre Memorial Award as AHL's Man of the Year - Iowa Wild
- Heat, Reign Square off Friday in Ontario - Stockton Heat
- Iowa's Landon Ferraro Named 2018-19 AHL Man of the Year - AHL
- Sound Tigers Cap Regular Season this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game Preview: Bears at Wolf Pack, 7:15 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Blue Jackets Recall Defenseman Adam Clendening from Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Laval Rocket Stories
- Jevpalovs Scores Highlight Reel Goal in Dramatic Overtime Victory to End Season
- Struthers Gets First Pro Goal in 5-1 Loss to Syracuse
- Bridgeport Sound Tigers Defeat Rocket 2-1
- Rocket Score Four Goals in the Third Period to Defeat Hershey 5-2 in Front of 8,643 Fans
- Cleveland Defeats Laval 3-2 with Late Third Period Goal