Orlando City Returns to Action against Toronto FC on Saturday
ORLANDO, Fla. - Orlando City SC (3-1-3, 12 points) returns to the pitch following a near three-week break from play to take on Toronto FC (1-4-2, 5 points) on Saturday, June 19. While the Lions will serve as the away side on the day, the match will be played at Exploria Stadium and will be closed to spectators.
Kickoff is slated for 7:30 p.m. ET with coverage set to begin at 7 p.m. ET on FOX35 PLUS. The match, presented by Heineken, in addition to being locally broadcast on FOX35 PLUS will be available to stream on LionNation TV, while being transmitted on 96.9 The Game in English and Acción 97.9FM, 810AM in Spanish.
"Excited to get back to the competition again, especially to play against a good rival in Toronto that we faced already a few weeks ago. [We're] trying to get the whole group together again after having players at their national teams, some players carrying injuries and things like that," Head Coach Oscar Pareja said ahead of Saturday's match. "We're looking forward to the competition, especially this coming week that is full of games. We're excited."
City will look for its second result against the Reds this year on Saturday night, defeating the weekend's opposition nearly a month ago at Exploria Stadium. Tesho Akindele scored the eventual game-winner for the Lions in that match in the 12th minute of play, with Silvester van der Water and Kyle Smith earning the assist on the finish.
Saturday's match will serve as the first for the Lions since May 29 at Red Bull Arena, with the visitors dropping their first result of the year in a 2-1 defeat after beginning the season at six matches unbeaten. Silvester van der Water scored the lone goal for City on the afternoon, his first as a Lion.
Nani leads City with three finishes this season, set to return from a two-game suspension on Saturday. Akindele follows with two, while sitting tied for the team lead in assists with Chris Mueller and Kyle Smith.
Toronto returns to the field after dropping a 2-1 decision to the Columbus Crew in their last outing. Luis Diaz and Gyasi Zardes each found the back of the net in the first half, with Ayo Akinola halving the deficit after the break to account for the Reds' lone finish in the match.
Eight different members of the Toronto roster have found the back of the net this campaign, with Michael Bradley leading the side with two assists.
Following Saturday's match, the Lions will remain in The City Beautiful to take on the San Jose Earthquakes on Tuesday, June 22 in front of a full-capacity crowd at Exploria Stadium.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 18, 2021
- New York Hands Nashville SC First Loss of the Season at Red Bull Arena - New York Red Bulls
- Nashville Soccer Club Falls for the First Time in 2021 Season - Nashville SC
- Chicago Fire FC Unveils New Crest and Visual Identity Directly Inspired by More Than 20,000 Fire Fans and Supporters - Chicago Fire FC
- LAFC Loans Five Players to Las Vegas Lights FC for Upcoming Match against Orange County Sc - Los Angeles FC
- LA Galaxy Release Match Information for Match Saturday vs. Seattle Sounders FC - LA Galaxy
- Sporting KC, Negro Leagues Baseball Museum Commemorate Juneteenth - Sporting Kansas City
- Game Notes: Sounders FC at La Galaxy - June 19, 2021 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Catie Griggs to Depart Atlanta United in July - Atlanta United FC
- 'A Lot of Great Memories': Alex Muyl Returns to Face the New York Red Bulls for the First Time - Nashville SC
- Minnesota United FC at FC Dallas Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo FC Return to League Play on National TV - Houston Dynamo FC
- #DALvMIN: Five Facts You Need to Know - FC Dallas
- Earthquakes Loan Eric Calvillo to Orange County SC - San Jose Earthquakes
- Atlanta United Announces the Unity Kit Tour - Atlanta United FC
- Colorado Rapids Return to Action Saturday in CincinnatiÃÂ - Colorado Rapids
- Acosta, Bassett, Lewis, Trusty & Vines Named to Provisional Gold Cup Roster - Colorado Rapids
- Five Houston Dynamo FC Players Named to Preliminary Concacaf Gold Cup Rosters - Houston Dynamo FC
- By the Numbers: Back from the Break - Orlando City SC
- Brandt Bronico Discusses His Successful Loan, Future Teammate Christian Fuchs - Charlotte FC
- Second-Place Sporting Visits Portland on Saturday - Sporting Kansas City
- Inter Miami CF, Fort Lauderdale CF Players Included in 2021 Concacaf Gold Cup Preliminary Rosters - Inter Miami CF
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at New York City FC - New England Revolution
- Academy Teams to Play Friendly Games Again - Club de Foot Montreal
- Provisional Rosters Released for Concacaf Gold Cup - Sporting Kansas City
- Orlando City Returns to Action against Toronto FC on Saturday - Orlando City SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Orlando City SC Stories
- Orlando City Returns to Action at FC Cincinnati
- Daryl Dike Ranks Second in Star-Studded 22 Under 22 Presented by BODYARMOR Rankings
- Orlando City SC Unveils In the Hunt Pop-Up Installation as Team Makes Push for 2021 MLS Postseason
- Orlando City SC, Orlando Pride Announce 2021 Breast Cancer Awareness Month Initiatives
- Daryl Dike's Stoppage Time Stunner Sends Orlando City Past DC United