New York Hands Nashville SC First Loss of the Season at Red Bull Arena
New York Red Bulls (4-4-0, 12 points) won their fourth straight home match as they defeated Nashville SC (2-1-5, 11 points), 2-1 on Friday night at Red Bull Arena.
After a long ball delivered by Sean Nealis, Patryk Klimala passed it off to Fabio, who struck it on the volley in the 37th minute and put New York in the lead.
The Red Bulls won possession of the ball and Caden Clark delivered a pass to Kyle Duncan, who scored and doubled New York's lead in the 56th minute.
Fabio scored his first career MLS goal and has tallied all six points (1G, 4A) he has earned this season at Red Bull Arena.
Nealis tallied his first assist of the season and his first since October 7, 2020, against CF Montreal.
Klimala recorded his second-straight match with an assist in the win.
After posting three goals in 2020, Duncan scored his first goal of the season.
Clark registered his second assist of the year, setting a career high after tallying one assist in 2020. He has recorded a goal or an assist in five-straight home matches.
Goalkeeper Carlos Coronel recorded his third shutout this season, making one save in the match. This was his third shutout at Red Bull Arena in 2021.
Captain Sean Davis played his 146th career MLS match, moving into a tie with Carlos Mendes for sixth all-time in franchise history in matches played.
New York moved their home winning streak to four matches for the first time since 2018, which ran from August 5 to September 14.
With the clean sheet, New York earned their 196th clean sheet in MLS competition all-time.
This is the second-straight match that New York has defeated an unbeaten team in MLS with Nashville having a 2-0-5 mark coming into the match.
In their last four home matches, the Red Bulls have outscored their opponents, 8-1.
New York added on to having the best home record in MLS since Red Bull Arena opened in 2010, with the most home wins (116) and points (383).
In their last five matches, Nashville had only conceded two goals. Fabio and Duncan equaled that total tonight.
Following Friday's match, New York will travel to Gillette Stadium to face off against New England Revolution on Wednesday, June 23. Kickoff between the Red Bulls and New England is scheduled for 7 p.m. ET on MSG and MSG GO and New York Red Bulls Radio in English and Spanish via TuneIn, the New York Red Bulls app and NewYorkRedBulls.com.
New York Red Bulls 2, Nashville SC 0
2021 MLS Regular-Season Match 8
Friday, June 18, 2021 - 8:00 p.m. ET
Red Bull Arena | Harrison, N.J.
NY - Fabio 1 (Klimala, Nealis) 37'
NY - Kyle Duncan 1 (Clark) 56'
NY - Patryk Klimala (caution, foul) 58'
NY - Kyle Duncan (caution, foul) 71'
New York Red Bulls: Carlos Coronel; Kyle Duncan, Andres Reyes (Amro Tarek 83'), Sean Nealis, John Tolkin; Tom Edwards (Dru Yearwood 51'), Sean Davis â¸, Frankie Amaya (Wikelman Carmona 83'), Caden Clark; Patryk Klimala, Fabio (Tom Barlow 75')
Unused Subs: Ryan Meara, Jason Pendant, Florian Valot, Cameron Harper
TOTAL SHOTS: 13; SHOTS ON GOAL: 6; FOULS: 15; POSSESSION: 58.5%; CORNER KICKS: 5; SAVES: 1
Nashville SC: Joe Willis; Daniel Lovitz, Dave Romney, Walker Zimmerman (Jalil Anibaba 63'), Alistair Johnston, Randall Leal (Luke Haakenson 63'), Matt LaGrassa (Koze Donasiyano 63'), Dax McCarty, Alex Muyl; Hany Mukhtar (Handwalla Bwana 84'), C.J. Sapong (Abu Danladi 77')
Unused Subs: Bryan Meredith, Dylan Nealis, Eric Miller, Taylor Washington
TOTAL SHOTS: 8 SHOTS ON GOAL: 1; FOULS: 11; POSSESSION: 41.5%; CORNER KICKS: 3; SAVES: 4
Referee: Nima Saghafi
Assistant Referees: Brian Poeschel, Eric Weisbrod
4th Official: Natalie Simon
VAR: Jose Carlos Rivero
AVAR: Tom Supple
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 18, 2021
- New York Hands Nashville SC First Loss of the Season at Red Bull Arena - New York Red Bulls
- Nashville Soccer Club Falls for the First Time in 2021 Season - Nashville SC
- Chicago Fire FC Unveils New Crest and Visual Identity Directly Inspired by More Than 20,000 Fire Fans and Supporters - Chicago Fire FC
- LAFC Loans Five Players to Las Vegas Lights FC for Upcoming Match against Orange County Sc - Los Angeles FC
- LA Galaxy Release Match Information for Match Saturday vs. Seattle Sounders FC - LA Galaxy
- Sporting KC, Negro Leagues Baseball Museum Commemorate Juneteenth - Sporting Kansas City
- Game Notes: Sounders FC at La Galaxy - June 19, 2021 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Catie Griggs to Depart Atlanta United in July - Atlanta United FC
- 'A Lot of Great Memories': Alex Muyl Returns to Face the New York Red Bulls for the First Time - Nashville SC
- Minnesota United FC at FC Dallas Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo FC Return to League Play on National TV - Houston Dynamo FC
- #DALvMIN: Five Facts You Need to Know - FC Dallas
- Earthquakes Loan Eric Calvillo to Orange County SC - San Jose Earthquakes
- Atlanta United Announces the Unity Kit Tour - Atlanta United FC
- Colorado Rapids Return to Action Saturday in CincinnatiÃÂ - Colorado Rapids
- Acosta, Bassett, Lewis, Trusty & Vines Named to Provisional Gold Cup Roster - Colorado Rapids
- Five Houston Dynamo FC Players Named to Preliminary Concacaf Gold Cup Rosters - Houston Dynamo FC
- By the Numbers: Back from the Break - Orlando City SC
- Brandt Bronico Discusses His Successful Loan, Future Teammate Christian Fuchs - Charlotte FC
- Second-Place Sporting Visits Portland on Saturday - Sporting Kansas City
- Inter Miami CF, Fort Lauderdale CF Players Included in 2021 Concacaf Gold Cup Preliminary Rosters - Inter Miami CF
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at New York City FC - New England Revolution
- Academy Teams to Play Friendly Games Again - Club de Foot Montreal
- Provisional Rosters Released for Concacaf Gold Cup - Sporting Kansas City
- Orlando City Returns to Action against Toronto FC on Saturday - Orlando City SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Red Bulls Stories
- New York Welcomes New England Revolution to Red Bull Arena on Saturday
- New York Red Bulls-Inter Miami CF Match Rescheduled to October 9
- New York Suffers 1-0 Defeat to D.C. United on Sunday Night
- New York Battles D.C. United in First Round for Atlantic Cup on Sunday
- New York and Toronto Draw 1-1 at BMO Field on Wednesday Night