'A Lot of Great Memories': Alex Muyl Returns to Face the New York Red Bulls for the First Time
Nashville SC midfielder Alex Muyl is no stranger to Red Bull Arena.
Muyl spent the first four seasons of his Major League Soccer career with the New York Red Bulls. Now, he will face his former team for the first time ever, when Nashville SC travels to Harrison, New Jersey for a Friday night showdown.
"I'm very excited to be going to a place that I know so well and playing against some guys that I haven't been able to see in a long time," Muyl said. "I'm sure it's gonna be something emotional for me."
Muyl was traded from the Red Bulls in August 2020 and has since appeared in 25 regular season matches for Nashville SC. The attacking midfielder has become a creative contributor in the attack for the Boys in Gold, adding a goal against New England Revolution on May 8 and an assist against Inter Miami CF during the Audi MLS Cup Playoffs.
As a native of New York City, Muyl joined the Red Bulls' academy in 2010 and won two U.S. Soccer Development Academy national championships with the Red Bulls at the U-16 and U-18 levels.
After his time in the Red Bulls' academy, Muyl attended Georgetown University where he led the Hoyas to the program's first men's Big East Tournament title.
Muyl signed a homegrown contract with the Red Bulls after his junior season in 2015 and made his first MLS appearance in 2016. He scored his first MLS goal later that season against rival New York City F.C.
The match will be Nashville's first meeting with the Red Bulls in club history. The Boys in Gold will travel to Harrison, New Jersey for their first match in nearly three weeks as MLS paused for international competition. Nashville's last match was also on the road, a 2-2 draw against Atlanta United FC after trailing 2-0 on May 29.
"I think it's been a good couple of weeks where we've been able to work hard. I don't think that we've let any fitness slip, we definitely have been pushing," Muyl said. "And now, almost coming up to a game, we've been able to come back a little bit so we're fresh for the game."
Nashville SC currently sits above NYRB in the Eastern Conference standings with 11 points compared to the Red Bulls' nine. The Red Bulls are coming off a 2-1 win over Orlando City while Nashville SC will be looking to continue its seven-match unbeaten run to start the season.
Muyl said he is excited to see family, friends and old teammates, but his focus will turn solely to soccer once the match begins.
"I'm happy to be going back somewhere that a lot of family can come and watch me play," Muyl said. "A place where I have a lot of great memories."
Fans can watch Muyl and the Boys in Gold take on the Red Bulls starting with the pregame show at 6:30 p.m. CT on MyTV30 and NashvilleSC.com for in-market streaming and ESPN+ for out-of-market streaming.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 18, 2021
- New York Hands Nashville SC First Loss of the Season at Red Bull Arena - New York Red Bulls
- Nashville Soccer Club Falls for the First Time in 2021 Season - Nashville SC
- Chicago Fire FC Unveils New Crest and Visual Identity Directly Inspired by More Than 20,000 Fire Fans and Supporters - Chicago Fire FC
- LAFC Loans Five Players to Las Vegas Lights FC for Upcoming Match against Orange County Sc - Los Angeles FC
- LA Galaxy Release Match Information for Match Saturday vs. Seattle Sounders FC - LA Galaxy
- Sporting KC, Negro Leagues Baseball Museum Commemorate Juneteenth - Sporting Kansas City
- Game Notes: Sounders FC at La Galaxy - June 19, 2021 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Catie Griggs to Depart Atlanta United in July - Atlanta United FC
- 'A Lot of Great Memories': Alex Muyl Returns to Face the New York Red Bulls for the First Time - Nashville SC
- Minnesota United FC at FC Dallas Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo FC Return to League Play on National TV - Houston Dynamo FC
- #DALvMIN: Five Facts You Need to Know - FC Dallas
- Earthquakes Loan Eric Calvillo to Orange County SC - San Jose Earthquakes
- Atlanta United Announces the Unity Kit Tour - Atlanta United FC
- Colorado Rapids Return to Action Saturday in CincinnatiÃÂ - Colorado Rapids
- Acosta, Bassett, Lewis, Trusty & Vines Named to Provisional Gold Cup Roster - Colorado Rapids
- Five Houston Dynamo FC Players Named to Preliminary Concacaf Gold Cup Rosters - Houston Dynamo FC
- By the Numbers: Back from the Break - Orlando City SC
- Brandt Bronico Discusses His Successful Loan, Future Teammate Christian Fuchs - Charlotte FC
- Second-Place Sporting Visits Portland on Saturday - Sporting Kansas City
- Inter Miami CF, Fort Lauderdale CF Players Included in 2021 Concacaf Gold Cup Preliminary Rosters - Inter Miami CF
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at New York City FC - New England Revolution
- Academy Teams to Play Friendly Games Again - Club de Foot Montreal
- Provisional Rosters Released for Concacaf Gold Cup - Sporting Kansas City
- Orlando City Returns to Action against Toronto FC on Saturday - Orlando City SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Nashville SC Stories
- Nashville Soccer Club Trades Dominique Badji to the Colorado Rapids
- 'Perfect Little Trio' Sapong, Mukhtar and Leal Lead Nashville SC Attack in JulyÃÂ
- Nashville Soccer Club Moves to Second Place in the Eastern Conference with Victory over Rival FC Cincinnati
- What to Watch for as Nashville SC Hosts Rival FC Cincinnati at Nissan Stadium this Saturday
- Nashville Soccer Club Earns Road Point against Defending MLS Cup Champions