Sporting KC, Negro Leagues Baseball Museum Commemorate Juneteenth
Sporting Kansas City and the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum have partnered to commemorate Juneteenth and celebrate the 101st anniversary of the Negro leagues by launching a limited-edition capsule collection for supporters.
The vintage capsule collection combines the nostalgic look of the Negro leagues with Sporting's classic soccer threads and features a T-shirt, a match scarf and two different hats. The collaboration honors Juneteenth-a national federal holiday observed on June 19 that celebrates the emancipation of enslaved people in the United States-while also paying homage to the rich history of Negro leagues baseball, which began in 1920 and paved the way for African American athletes of future generations.
The capsule collection will be available beginning Wednesday while supplies last at the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum Extra Innings Gift Shop, NLBM.com and at all SportingStyle locations inside Children's Mercy Park when Sporting Kansas City hosts the Colorado Rapids at 7:30 p.m. CT (tickets). Pre-orders for the new merchandise are now open at SportingStyle.com with pickup taking place on the Mazuma Plaza beginning at 6 p.m. CT on Wednesday.
As part of the launch, Sporting Kansas City will donate a portion of all capsule collection sales to the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum.
"The Negro Leagues Baseball Museum is thrilled to team with Sporting KC to commemorate Juneteenth as we reflect on the arduous journey to freedom for African Americans while celebrating and enlightening people about the triumphant story of the Negro leagues," said Bob Kendrick, NLBM President. "The Negro leagues helped build a bridge across the chasm of prejudice, which created a pathway for African American athletes to showcase their immense talents and level the playing field. This collection beautifully captures that winning spirit."
"Through the seemingly incongruous juxtaposition of soccer and baseball, Sporting and the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum are retelling an important story that transcends sports and resonates powerfully in our city," said Chad Reynolds, Sporting KC Creative Director. "So much of Kansas City's history is rooted in black history and we couldn't be prouder to commemorate Juneteenth in partnership with an iconic Kansas City institution like the NLBM."
Bridging a gap between past and present, the capsule collection stems from a new partnership between Sporting Kansas City and the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum that began earlier this year. The unique partnership between local institutions creates a platform that honors history, educates fans and strengthens community ties across the Kansas City region.
Sporting KC + Negro Leagues Baseball Museum Capsule Collection
T-shirt: Classic cream-colored top with "Kansas City" arched across the chest in baseball typeface with an NLBM patch on the sleeve and a red "KC Heart" jocktag as an homage to the vintage look of the Negro leagues teams.
Scarf: A black and white pinstripe scarf design with the NLBM logo on one side and SKC and "KC Heart" on the reverse.
Two hats: Black and dark grey versions with cream-colored "KC" stitched on the front and an NLBM patch on the side.
On Thursday, Major League Soccer announced its own plans to recognize Juneteenth with a series of initiatives celebrating freedom. MLS programs will include a limited-edition jersey auction and two components that will highlight all matches from June 18-20: Juneteenth-inspired numbers on the jerseys of all players and the playing of the Black National Anthem ("Lift Every Voice and Sing").
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 18, 2021
- New York Hands Nashville SC First Loss of the Season at Red Bull Arena - New York Red Bulls
- Nashville Soccer Club Falls for the First Time in 2021 Season - Nashville SC
- Chicago Fire FC Unveils New Crest and Visual Identity Directly Inspired by More Than 20,000 Fire Fans and Supporters - Chicago Fire FC
- LAFC Loans Five Players to Las Vegas Lights FC for Upcoming Match against Orange County Sc - Los Angeles FC
- LA Galaxy Release Match Information for Match Saturday vs. Seattle Sounders FC - LA Galaxy
- Sporting KC, Negro Leagues Baseball Museum Commemorate Juneteenth - Sporting Kansas City
- Game Notes: Sounders FC at La Galaxy - June 19, 2021 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Catie Griggs to Depart Atlanta United in July - Atlanta United FC
- 'A Lot of Great Memories': Alex Muyl Returns to Face the New York Red Bulls for the First Time - Nashville SC
- Minnesota United FC at FC Dallas Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo FC Return to League Play on National TV - Houston Dynamo FC
- #DALvMIN: Five Facts You Need to Know - FC Dallas
- Earthquakes Loan Eric Calvillo to Orange County SC - San Jose Earthquakes
- Atlanta United Announces the Unity Kit Tour - Atlanta United FC
- Colorado Rapids Return to Action Saturday in CincinnatiÃÂ - Colorado Rapids
- Acosta, Bassett, Lewis, Trusty & Vines Named to Provisional Gold Cup Roster - Colorado Rapids
- Five Houston Dynamo FC Players Named to Preliminary Concacaf Gold Cup Rosters - Houston Dynamo FC
- By the Numbers: Back from the Break - Orlando City SC
- Brandt Bronico Discusses His Successful Loan, Future Teammate Christian Fuchs - Charlotte FC
- Second-Place Sporting Visits Portland on Saturday - Sporting Kansas City
- Inter Miami CF, Fort Lauderdale CF Players Included in 2021 Concacaf Gold Cup Preliminary Rosters - Inter Miami CF
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at New York City FC - New England Revolution
- Academy Teams to Play Friendly Games Again - Club de Foot Montreal
- Provisional Rosters Released for Concacaf Gold Cup - Sporting Kansas City
- Orlando City Returns to Action against Toronto FC on Saturday - Orlando City SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sporting Kansas City Stories
- Sporting to Host FC Dallas on Saturday
- Sporting KC and Love, Tito's Team up to Support the Victory Project and Other Nonprofits
- Compass Minerals Launches Youth Soccer Scholarship
- Sporting KC Welcomes Patrick Mahomes as Member of Sporting Club Ownership Group
- Sporting KC Weekly