By the Numbers: Back from the Break
46 - Into the fire
Daryl Dike is back in Orlando, and he brings with him both a barreling hype train and the stats to back it up. Since making his professional debut in the MLS is Back Tournament on July 25, Dike has made 46 appearances for club and country, with an aesthetically pleasing split of 22 for Orlando City, 22 for Barnsley of the English Championship and 2 for the United States Men's National Team. Dike will look to continue taking the soccer world by storm with his astonishing strength and nifty finishing skill with the Lions this summer.
5,000 - Nani making history
Orlando City captain Nani will be available for selection on Saturday for the first time since May 16 after serving a two-game suspension, and if he plays 73 minutes against Toronto he will reach 5,000 minutes played in all competitions for Orlando. Nani has emerged as one of the best players in Club history since signing a Designated Player deal in 2019, scoring 24 goals and adding 18 assists in all competitions while leading the Lions to the MLS is Back final and their first-ever Audi MLS Cup Playoffs appearance and victory.
0.19 - Not-so-open looks
Expected goals (xG) tell us how likely, on a scale of 0 to 1, a shot from any given location will result in a goal. Post-shot expected goals (PSxG) adds another dimension by denoting the quality of the shots taken from those locations; were they scuffed, were they shot clean to the top corner, etc. So far this season, Orlando City's defense is limiting opponents to 0.19 PSxG for every shot on target, meaning they have just a 19% chance of being scored. That is comfortably the lowest mark in MLS and it's not just small sample noise either - Orlando City led the league in this same statistic last year as well.
20 - Sniffing them out
Antonio Carlos, twice named to the MLS Team of the Week in May, has established himself as one of the league's best center backs both on the eye test and in the numbers. His 20 interceptions on the season rank third in the league behind the Seattle pair of Alex Roldan and Yeimar Gomez Andrade, and Antonio Carlos has played one fewer match than the Sounders duo. The Brazilian, who signed a new three-year deal this offseason, should be a rock at the back for the Lions for the foreseeable future.
1.5 - FAIRWINDS Credit Union
Score up to 1.5% cash back and LionNation points when you use your FAIRWINDS Orlando City VisaÂ® or Orlando Pride VisaÂ® on game day purchases and everyday essentials. Apply today and get purple carded.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 18, 2021
- New York Hands Nashville SC First Loss of the Season at Red Bull Arena - New York Red Bulls
- Nashville Soccer Club Falls for the First Time in 2021 Season - Nashville SC
- Chicago Fire FC Unveils New Crest and Visual Identity Directly Inspired by More Than 20,000 Fire Fans and Supporters - Chicago Fire FC
- LAFC Loans Five Players to Las Vegas Lights FC for Upcoming Match against Orange County Sc - Los Angeles FC
- LA Galaxy Release Match Information for Match Saturday vs. Seattle Sounders FC - LA Galaxy
- Sporting KC, Negro Leagues Baseball Museum Commemorate Juneteenth - Sporting Kansas City
- Game Notes: Sounders FC at La Galaxy - June 19, 2021 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Catie Griggs to Depart Atlanta United in July - Atlanta United FC
- 'A Lot of Great Memories': Alex Muyl Returns to Face the New York Red Bulls for the First Time - Nashville SC
- Minnesota United FC at FC Dallas Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo FC Return to League Play on National TV - Houston Dynamo FC
- #DALvMIN: Five Facts You Need to Know - FC Dallas
- Earthquakes Loan Eric Calvillo to Orange County SC - San Jose Earthquakes
- Atlanta United Announces the Unity Kit Tour - Atlanta United FC
- Colorado Rapids Return to Action Saturday in CincinnatiÃÂ - Colorado Rapids
- Acosta, Bassett, Lewis, Trusty & Vines Named to Provisional Gold Cup Roster - Colorado Rapids
- Five Houston Dynamo FC Players Named to Preliminary Concacaf Gold Cup Rosters - Houston Dynamo FC
- By the Numbers: Back from the Break - Orlando City SC
- Brandt Bronico Discusses His Successful Loan, Future Teammate Christian Fuchs - Charlotte FC
- Second-Place Sporting Visits Portland on Saturday - Sporting Kansas City
- Inter Miami CF, Fort Lauderdale CF Players Included in 2021 Concacaf Gold Cup Preliminary Rosters - Inter Miami CF
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at New York City FC - New England Revolution
- Academy Teams to Play Friendly Games Again - Club de Foot Montreal
- Provisional Rosters Released for Concacaf Gold Cup - Sporting Kansas City
- Orlando City Returns to Action against Toronto FC on Saturday - Orlando City SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Orlando City SC Stories
- Orlando City Returns to Action at FC Cincinnati
- Daryl Dike Ranks Second in Star-Studded 22 Under 22 Presented by BODYARMOR Rankings
- Orlando City SC Unveils In the Hunt Pop-Up Installation as Team Makes Push for 2021 MLS Postseason
- Orlando City SC, Orlando Pride Announce 2021 Breast Cancer Awareness Month Initiatives
- Daryl Dike's Stoppage Time Stunner Sends Orlando City Past DC United