Moreland, Gac Named Post-Season All-Stars
Clinton, IA - Two vital pieces to the Clinton LumberKings' league-leading offense were named to the 2008 Post-Season All-Star Team by the Midwest League today. League RBI leader Mitch Moreland was named the best first-baseman, while former LumberKing Ian Gac (now with Bakersfield) was named the best designated hitter.
Moreland looked like a strong candidate to win the MVP award, ranking second in the league with a .317 average, first in RBI with 94 and fifth in home runs with 17. The 17th round pick by the Texas Rangers out of Mississippi State in 2007, Moreland also leads the league in slugging percentage (.526) and extra-base hits (54) while ranking fourth in on-base percentage (.392) and total hits (139).
However, Moreland did not win MVP. Beloit's Ben Revere captured both the Top Prospect and MVP accolades, thanks to a league-best .379 average.
Gac blasted 19 home runs and drove in 60 RBI while batting .310 in just 67 games with the LumberKings. He finished three home runs short of the Clinton single-season franchise record, even though he was promoted to high-A Bakersfield on June 26.
Manager Mike Micucci, who took home Baseball America's "Best Managerial Prospect" award, did not take home the Manager of the Year award. Mark Haley of the South Bend Silver Hawks earned those honors.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 26, 2008
- Snappers Fall in Extras - Beloit Snappers
- Bees Score 11 Runs in First Three Innings in 14-4 Win Over Quad Cities - Burlington Bees
- Kings Claim Final Home Game - Clinton LumberKings
- Cougars Win in 10, Even Series - Kane County Cougars
- Rattlers blanked in loss - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Burlington jumps out to 10-0 lead after two - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Sac Fly Tips 'Caps Past Loons - Great Lakes Loons
- Tucker wins game with walk-off sac fly - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Chiefs Fall 5-2 on Tuesday - Peoria Chiefs
- Big second lifts Dayton past Lugnuts - Lansing Lugnuts
- Dragons Win, Cut Magic Number to Three - Dayton Dragons
- Revere Named Midwest League MVP and Top Prospect - Beloit Snappers
- Rattlers Welcome the Zooperstars - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Treasurer to Award CollegeChoice 529 Investment Accounts at Ft. Wayne Wizards Game - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Kirwan Makes His Way Back to Beloit - Beloit Snappers
- Estanga stakes claim to post season award - Lansing Lugnuts
- Two Dragons Named to MWL Full-Season All-Star Team - Dayton Dragons
- Hamburger Beefs Up Clinton Bullpen - Clinton LumberKings
- Kibler, Figaro Named to MWL Post Season All-Stars - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Quezada Honored For Relief Efforts - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Lambo Selected MWL Post-Season All-Star - Great Lakes Loons
- Moreland, Gac Named Post-Season All-Stars - Clinton LumberKings
- 2008 Post Season All-Star Roster Unveiled - MWL
- Tickets Going Fast for Final Homestand of Season - Great Lakes Loons
- Kernels beat Wisconsin, 6-2 Magic Number down to 3 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Silver Hawks Clinch Playoff Spot - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Brito to the Rescue - Beloit Snappers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.