Tucker wins game with walk-off sac fly
COMSTOCK PARK - With the bases loaded and one out in the bottom of the tenth, Joe Tucker drove in Cory Middleton on a sacrifice fly to give the Whitecaps a 3-2 victory over Great Lakes. West Michigan rallied from a 2-0 deficit early in the game to beat the Loons for the eighth straight time. Paul Nardozzi retired 13 for the 14 batters he faced in 4.1 shutout innings of relief for the Whitecaps from the fifth through the ninth inning.
For the second day in a row, the Loons scoring was confined to the third inning. Parker Dalton went 3-for-5 with a pair of doubles for Great Lakes, including a two base hit with two out in the third. Dalton scored on a single by Eduardo Perez, who in turn scored on a Roger Tomas throwing error during an infield single by Brandon Taylor. Chris Carlson hit his tenth home run of the season in the fourth inning to cut the Loons lead in half, 2-1. West Michigan tied the game on an RBI triple by Kody Kaiser in the seventh.
Scott Green pitched the top of the tenth to earn his first professional victory and improve to 1-2. Bob Zimmerman retired the first six Whitecaps batters he faced, but allowed three consecutive one out singles in the bottom of the tenth and the Tucker sac fly. Former Tigers farmhand Juan Cedeno pitched 7.1 innings as the Loons starter and gave up two runs on eight hits and a walk.
For the second game in a row, all nine players in the Whitecaps lineup collected a hit. Aaron Fuhrman made his first start in a Whitecaps uniform and allowed two runs on seven hits over 4.2 innings.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 26, 2008
- Snappers Fall in Extras - Beloit Snappers
- Bees Score 11 Runs in First Three Innings in 14-4 Win Over Quad Cities - Burlington Bees
- Kings Claim Final Home Game - Clinton LumberKings
- Cougars Win in 10, Even Series - Kane County Cougars
- Rattlers blanked in loss - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Burlington jumps out to 10-0 lead after two - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Sac Fly Tips 'Caps Past Loons - Great Lakes Loons
- Tucker wins game with walk-off sac fly - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Chiefs Fall 5-2 on Tuesday - Peoria Chiefs
- Big second lifts Dayton past Lugnuts - Lansing Lugnuts
- Dragons Win, Cut Magic Number to Three - Dayton Dragons
- Revere Named Midwest League MVP and Top Prospect - Beloit Snappers
- Rattlers Welcome the Zooperstars - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Treasurer to Award CollegeChoice 529 Investment Accounts at Ft. Wayne Wizards Game - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Kirwan Makes His Way Back to Beloit - Beloit Snappers
- Estanga stakes claim to post season award - Lansing Lugnuts
- Two Dragons Named to MWL Full-Season All-Star Team - Dayton Dragons
- Hamburger Beefs Up Clinton Bullpen - Clinton LumberKings
- Kibler, Figaro Named to MWL Post Season All-Stars - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Quezada Honored For Relief Efforts - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Lambo Selected MWL Post-Season All-Star - Great Lakes Loons
- Moreland, Gac Named Post-Season All-Stars - Clinton LumberKings
- 2008 Post Season All-Star Roster Unveiled - MWL
- Tickets Going Fast for Final Homestand of Season - Great Lakes Loons
- Kernels beat Wisconsin, 6-2 Magic Number down to 3 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Silver Hawks Clinch Playoff Spot - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Brito to the Rescue - Beloit Snappers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent West Michigan Whitecaps Stories
- MLB Releases West Michigan Whitecaps 2021 Baseball Schedule
- Whitecaps Expect Season Schedule Soon
- Lake Michigan Credit Union and West Michigan Whitecaps Announce New Multi-Year Partnership
- One Week Until Whitecaps Community Foundation
- Whitecaps Community Foundation Annual "Step up to the Plate" Fundraiser Set