Rattlers blanked in loss
GRAND CHUTE, WI - Jose Perez struck out ten and the Cedar Rapids Kernels scored three times in the top of the seventh in a 4-0 win over the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers Tuesday night. Perez pitched eight innings and allowed just five hits for the victory on Time Warner Cable Field at Fox Cities Stadium to help the Kernels inch closer to a Midwest League playoff spot.
The Kernels (37-27 second half, 69-63 overall) got the lead with a run in the top of the second. Julio Perez singled to start the inning. He stole second and went to third on a throwing error. A single by Clay Fuller drove in Perez for the 1-0 advantage.
The Rattlers nearly got to Jose Perez in the bottom of the fifth. They had runners at second and third with one out. But, Perez got a strikeout and a fly ball to left to end Wisconsin's best shot at a run on the evening.
The Kernels put things away in the seventh. Hector Estrella doubled to start the inning. Julio Perez doubled to right-center and Estrella scored for a 2-0 lead. Rattler centerfielder Maximo Mendez dropped Fuller's fly ball and Perez scored. Later in the inning, Jay Brossman's sacrifice fly got Fuller home for a three-run inning and a 4-0 advantage.
Jose Perez pitched through the eighth and turned the ball over to Tim Kiely for the ninth. Kiely walked a batter to start the inning. However, he retired the next three batters, including two via strikeout to end the game.
The Kernel victory coupled with Quad Cities' 14-4 loss at Burlington moved Cedar Rapids lead over Quad Cities to five games in the Western Division Wild Card race with six games left to play in the 2008 season.
Game three of the series is Wednesday night. Michael Pineda (7-5, 2.05) is the scheduled starting pitcher for the Timber Rattlers. Robert Fish (9-5, 5.07) is set to go for the Kernels.
Wednesday is another bonus Bang For Your Buck Night with soda, hot dogs, and beer for $1. Plus, it's an Everyone Wins Wednesday. Each fan in attendance on Wednesday will go home with a prize. Prizes will have various ranges in value.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 26, 2008
- Snappers Fall in Extras - Beloit Snappers
- Bees Score 11 Runs in First Three Innings in 14-4 Win Over Quad Cities - Burlington Bees
- Kings Claim Final Home Game - Clinton LumberKings
- Cougars Win in 10, Even Series - Kane County Cougars
- Rattlers blanked in loss - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Burlington jumps out to 10-0 lead after two - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Sac Fly Tips 'Caps Past Loons - Great Lakes Loons
- Tucker wins game with walk-off sac fly - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Chiefs Fall 5-2 on Tuesday - Peoria Chiefs
- Big second lifts Dayton past Lugnuts - Lansing Lugnuts
- Dragons Win, Cut Magic Number to Three - Dayton Dragons
- Revere Named Midwest League MVP and Top Prospect - Beloit Snappers
- Rattlers Welcome the Zooperstars - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Treasurer to Award CollegeChoice 529 Investment Accounts at Ft. Wayne Wizards Game - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Kirwan Makes His Way Back to Beloit - Beloit Snappers
- Estanga stakes claim to post season award - Lansing Lugnuts
- Two Dragons Named to MWL Full-Season All-Star Team - Dayton Dragons
- Hamburger Beefs Up Clinton Bullpen - Clinton LumberKings
- Kibler, Figaro Named to MWL Post Season All-Stars - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Quezada Honored For Relief Efforts - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Lambo Selected MWL Post-Season All-Star - Great Lakes Loons
- Moreland, Gac Named Post-Season All-Stars - Clinton LumberKings
- 2008 Post Season All-Star Roster Unveiled - MWL
- Tickets Going Fast for Final Homestand of Season - Great Lakes Loons
- Kernels beat Wisconsin, 6-2 Magic Number down to 3 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Silver Hawks Clinch Playoff Spot - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Brito to the Rescue - Beloit Snappers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wisconsin Timber Rattlers Stories
- Take Home Friday Fish Frys Return to the Ballpark on March 5
- Timber Rattlers Announce 2021 Schedule and Invite You to "Come Back Home"
- Future Solidified: New Era for Timber Rattlers Baseball
- Dock Spiders Announce Full 2020 Schedule
- It's Back: Friday Night Fish Fry To-Go from the Ballpark