Bees Score 11 Runs in First Three Innings in 14-4 Win Over Quad Cities
Burlington, IA (Aug 26, 2008) - The Burlington Bees ended a two-game losing streak with a bang defeating Quad Cites 14-4 Tuesday night at Community Field. The Bees had a season-high 19 hits and Alex Caldera threw seven scoreless innings to pick up the victory.
The Bees began the scoring in the bottom of the first inning by scoring five runs and sending ten batters to the plate. There were two errors in the inning and all of the runs scored with two outs. The Biggest hit of the inning came off of Nick Francis' bat when he doubled to score Mike Moustakas and Clint Robinson.
The Bees pretty much had a repeat of the first inning in the second inning. They once again sent ten batters to the plate and scored five runs. Nick Van Stratten had a two-run double in the inning, which scored Jason Taylor and Robinson. The Bees added another run in the third when Moustakas led the inning off by hitting his league-leading 22nd homerun of the season to give the Bees an 11-0 lead.
Alex Caldera got the start for the Bees and once again was extremely good. In seven innings of work, he allowed just three hits with three strikeouts and no walks. He got the win to move to 12-6 on the season.
Quad Cities did score four runs in the eighth inning to cut their deficit to seven runs. The Bees finished out their scoring by putting up another three runs in the bottom of the eighth. The Bees were helped in the inning by two Quad Cities errors as only Moutaskas had an RBI off of a sacrifice fly. Zach Peterson pitched a perfect ninth inning with two strikeouts.
The Bees had 19 hits with everyone in the lineup having at least one hit. Five players had multiple hits. Johnny Giavotella led the way as he went 4-5 with two runs and one RBI. Robinson, Van Stratten and Juan Rivera each had three hits. Van Stratten led the way with three RBI. Moustakas, Taylor, Francis and Rivera each had two RBI.
The Bees continue the series with Quad Cities Wednesday evening at Community Field. Matt Mitchell is the scheduled starter for the Bees. First pitch is scheduled for 7:00. The game can be heard on 1490 KBUR and online at www.GoBees.com. Tickets are still available by logging on to www.GoBees.com or by visiting Community Field.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 26, 2008
- Snappers Fall in Extras - Beloit Snappers
- Bees Score 11 Runs in First Three Innings in 14-4 Win Over Quad Cities - Burlington Bees
- Kings Claim Final Home Game - Clinton LumberKings
- Cougars Win in 10, Even Series - Kane County Cougars
- Rattlers blanked in loss - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Burlington jumps out to 10-0 lead after two - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Sac Fly Tips 'Caps Past Loons - Great Lakes Loons
- Tucker wins game with walk-off sac fly - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Chiefs Fall 5-2 on Tuesday - Peoria Chiefs
- Big second lifts Dayton past Lugnuts - Lansing Lugnuts
- Dragons Win, Cut Magic Number to Three - Dayton Dragons
- Revere Named Midwest League MVP and Top Prospect - Beloit Snappers
- Rattlers Welcome the Zooperstars - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Treasurer to Award CollegeChoice 529 Investment Accounts at Ft. Wayne Wizards Game - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Kirwan Makes His Way Back to Beloit - Beloit Snappers
- Estanga stakes claim to post season award - Lansing Lugnuts
- Two Dragons Named to MWL Full-Season All-Star Team - Dayton Dragons
- Hamburger Beefs Up Clinton Bullpen - Clinton LumberKings
- Kibler, Figaro Named to MWL Post Season All-Stars - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Quezada Honored For Relief Efforts - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Lambo Selected MWL Post-Season All-Star - Great Lakes Loons
- Moreland, Gac Named Post-Season All-Stars - Clinton LumberKings
- 2008 Post Season All-Star Roster Unveiled - MWL
- Tickets Going Fast for Final Homestand of Season - Great Lakes Loons
- Kernels beat Wisconsin, 6-2 Magic Number down to 3 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Silver Hawks Clinch Playoff Spot - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Brito to the Rescue - Beloit Snappers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.