Two Dragons Named to MWL Full-Season All-Star Team
Dayton, Ohio-Dayton Dragons shortstop Zack Cozart and third baseman Brandon Waring were named today to the Midwest League Full-Season All-Star Team. Cozart and Waring were two of 13 players named to the team that was selected in a vote by MWL managers. The team included one player per position with four pitchers.
Cozart has played in 103 games for the Dragons this season and is batting .278 with 14 home runs and 49 runs batted in. Cozart, a product of the University of Mississippi, also leads Midwest League shortstops in fielding percentage.
Waring leads the Dragons in home runs with 18 and runs batted in with 64 while batting .264. He was the starting third baseman for the Eastern Division in the Midwest League All-Star Game in June. Waring played at Wofford College.
Both Cozart and Waring were also selected as the best defensive players at their positions in the league in the annual Baseball America "Best Tools" survey based on conversations with league managers.
The Dragons play at Lansing tonight at 7:05 p.m. The Dragons hold a three game lead over the Fort Wayne Wizards in the Eastern Division wildcard race with seven games to play. The Dragons "magic number" to clinch the wildcard berth is five (any combination of Dragons' wins and Wizards' losses totaling five would put the Dragons in the playoffs). If the Dragons remain ahead of Fort Wayne, they would open the first round of the playoffs at Fifth Third Field on Wednesday, September 3rd at 7:00 p.m. against either Lansing or West Michigan in the first game of a best-of-three series.
The Dragons return home to Fifth Third Field for the final series of the regular season starting Friday night at 7:00 p.m. against West Michigan.
All Dragons games can be heard on WING-AM 1410 and on the internet at www.daytondragons.com
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 26, 2008
- Snappers Fall in Extras - Beloit Snappers
- Bees Score 11 Runs in First Three Innings in 14-4 Win Over Quad Cities - Burlington Bees
- Kings Claim Final Home Game - Clinton LumberKings
- Cougars Win in 10, Even Series - Kane County Cougars
- Rattlers blanked in loss - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Burlington jumps out to 10-0 lead after two - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Sac Fly Tips 'Caps Past Loons - Great Lakes Loons
- Tucker wins game with walk-off sac fly - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Chiefs Fall 5-2 on Tuesday - Peoria Chiefs
- Big second lifts Dayton past Lugnuts - Lansing Lugnuts
- Dragons Win, Cut Magic Number to Three - Dayton Dragons
- Revere Named Midwest League MVP and Top Prospect - Beloit Snappers
- Rattlers Welcome the Zooperstars - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Treasurer to Award CollegeChoice 529 Investment Accounts at Ft. Wayne Wizards Game - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Kirwan Makes His Way Back to Beloit - Beloit Snappers
- Estanga stakes claim to post season award - Lansing Lugnuts
- Two Dragons Named to MWL Full-Season All-Star Team - Dayton Dragons
- Hamburger Beefs Up Clinton Bullpen - Clinton LumberKings
- Kibler, Figaro Named to MWL Post Season All-Stars - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Quezada Honored For Relief Efforts - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Lambo Selected MWL Post-Season All-Star - Great Lakes Loons
- Moreland, Gac Named Post-Season All-Stars - Clinton LumberKings
- 2008 Post Season All-Star Roster Unveiled - MWL
- Tickets Going Fast for Final Homestand of Season - Great Lakes Loons
- Kernels beat Wisconsin, 6-2 Magic Number down to 3 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Silver Hawks Clinch Playoff Spot - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Brito to the Rescue - Beloit Snappers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Dayton Dragons Stories
- Dragons Announce 2021 Schedule, Includes 120 Games
- Dayton Dragons, Reds Confirm Player Development Agreement, Announce Dayton Coaching Staff
- Dragons, Day Air Credit Union, Community Help Raise over $16,000 for The Dayton Foodbank
- Reds Invite Dragons to Continue Partnership
- Dayton Dragons announce holiday "50/50 Raffle" Presented by Day Air Credit Union Benefitting The Dayton Foodbank