Brito to the Rescue
Jeanfred Brito sent the Beloit faithful home happy on Monday night with a walk-off, RBI-single in the bottom of the 11th inning. Brito's single plated Yangervis Solarte, who earlier walked, giving the Snappers a 4-3 win in extras.
Beloit got things going in the bottom of the first inning on an error from Kane County third baseman Justin Frash. Frash booted a ball off the bat of Rene Leveret, allowing Estarlin De Los Santos to score from second base. Estarlin's run put the Snappers up 1-0 after the first inning.
RBIs from Andrew Schmiesing and Chris Cates in the bottom of the fourth then put the Snappers up by a 3-0 count. Schmiesing cracked an RBI-double and Cates added an RBI-single to push Beloit's lead to three after four innings.
The game remained 3-0, thanks in part to another dominant performance from Steven Hirschfeld, until the top of the eighth inning. Kane County then scored three runs off of relievers Blake Martin and Santos Arias, to tie the game at 3-3.
The game stayed tied until the bottom of the 11th when the Snappers would finally end things. Jeanfred Brito hit a two-out, RBI-single to right field to give the Snaps the game one victory over the Cougars.
Beloit starter Steven Hirschfeld pitched brilliantly in his six innings of work, allowing just two hits and no runs. Hirschfeld also struck out four while lowering his ERA to 3.23 for the Snappers who improved to 31-32 in the second half with the win.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 26, 2008
- Snappers Fall in Extras - Beloit Snappers
- Bees Score 11 Runs in First Three Innings in 14-4 Win Over Quad Cities - Burlington Bees
- Kings Claim Final Home Game - Clinton LumberKings
- Cougars Win in 10, Even Series - Kane County Cougars
- Rattlers blanked in loss - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Burlington jumps out to 10-0 lead after two - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Sac Fly Tips 'Caps Past Loons - Great Lakes Loons
- Tucker wins game with walk-off sac fly - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Chiefs Fall 5-2 on Tuesday - Peoria Chiefs
- Big second lifts Dayton past Lugnuts - Lansing Lugnuts
- Dragons Win, Cut Magic Number to Three - Dayton Dragons
- Revere Named Midwest League MVP and Top Prospect - Beloit Snappers
- Rattlers Welcome the Zooperstars - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Treasurer to Award CollegeChoice 529 Investment Accounts at Ft. Wayne Wizards Game - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Kirwan Makes His Way Back to Beloit - Beloit Snappers
- Estanga stakes claim to post season award - Lansing Lugnuts
- Two Dragons Named to MWL Full-Season All-Star Team - Dayton Dragons
- Hamburger Beefs Up Clinton Bullpen - Clinton LumberKings
- Kibler, Figaro Named to MWL Post Season All-Stars - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Quezada Honored For Relief Efforts - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Lambo Selected MWL Post-Season All-Star - Great Lakes Loons
- Moreland, Gac Named Post-Season All-Stars - Clinton LumberKings
- 2008 Post Season All-Star Roster Unveiled - MWL
- Tickets Going Fast for Final Homestand of Season - Great Lakes Loons
- Kernels beat Wisconsin, 6-2 Magic Number down to 3 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Silver Hawks Clinch Playoff Spot - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Brito to the Rescue - Beloit Snappers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.