MoonDogs' Winning Streak Ends in St. Cloud
St. Cloud, Minn. - The Mankato MoonDogs (34-16) four-game winning streak was stopped by the St. Cloud Rox (37-12) on Saturday night with a 6-2 loss.
The Rox scored in the first inning thanks to Jordan Barth (Augustana) who singled in a run to make it 1-0.
The MoonDogs would come back in the third inning as Matt Higgins connected for a tape-measure homerun over the right-field wall for a two-run shot, putting Mankato on top 2-1.
That was the only lead the MoonDogs had on the night as the Rox scored three runs in the bottom of the fourth as Brice Matthews (Nebraska) drove a run home with a single, and then it was Otto Kemp (Point Loma Nazarene) who added two more with a single to the outfield to give the Rox a 4-2 lead.
St. Cloud would score two more with infield hits by Andrew Pinckney (Alabama) and Brice Matthews to make it 6-2 after five.
The bullpen for the Rox held the lead from there as Zach Gagnon (Tarleton State) and Josh Gainer (LIU-Brooklyn) shut out the MoonDogs for the final five innings.
The final game of the regular season series between the MoonDogs and Rox will be on Sunday as the two meet up again at Joe Faber Field for a 4:05 first pitch. Luke Young (Midland College) matches up with Noah Myhre (Minot State) on the mound.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from July 24, 2021
- Booyah Stumble against Kingfish - Green Bay Booyah
- Late Rally Lifts Chinooks over Dock Spiders - Lakeshore Chinooks
- MoonDogs' Winning Streak Ends in St. Cloud - Mankato MoonDogs
- Growlers Drop Series Opener to Jackrabbits Despite Furious Comeback - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Mallards Fall 12-10 in Shootout against Woodchucks - Madison Mallards
- Woodchucks Outslug Mallards in Win - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Losing Streak Ends with Another Win over Rockford - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Rivets Fall Behind, Can't Come Back at Traverse City - Rockford Rivets
- Bucks 'Buck' Larks in Shutout Win - Bismarck Larks
- Kingfish Power Past the Booyah 10-6 - Kenosha Kingfish
- Honkers Use Late Burst to Drop Mudpuppies - Rochester Honkers
- First-Place Rox Begin Crucial Weekend with Victory over MoonDogs - St. Cloud Rox
- Rain Halts Bombers Game as They Lead in the Third - Battle Creek Bombers
- Rafters-Bombers Postponed, Two Games Slated for Tomorrow - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Stingers Take Game 1 in Duluth - Willmar Stingers
- Duluth Pitching Crumbles Late Saturday - Duluth Huskies
- The Kingfish Drop Final Game of Series - Kenosha Kingfish
- The Kingfish Dominate in Battle Creek Doubleheader - Kenosha Kingfish
- Mallards Host Woodchucks for Weekend Set - Madison Mallards
- La Crosse Unable to Hold on to Early Lead, Swept by Rochester in 12-10 Loss - La Crosse Loggers
- Booyah Continue Road Trip - Green Bay Booyah
- Growlers Split with Mallards After 5-4 Extra Inning Victory - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Larks Score 13 Unanswered Runs as the Huskies Drop Their Fourth Straight - Duluth Huskies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Mankato MoonDogs Stories
- MoonDogs 20th Season Concludes In Great Plains West Sub-Divisional
- Rox Shutout MoonDogs at ISG Field to Open 2021 Postseason
- MoonDogs Fall Hosting Honkers in Regular Season Finale
- Pender Deals in Final Outing, MoonDogs Upend Honkers 6-4 at ISG Field
- Higgins Named Named Co-MVP, Reilly Brothers Garner Postseason All-Star Honors