McLennan Standouts to Make Honkers Debut Tonight
ROCHESTER, MINN. - As the Rochester Honkers welcome a new wave of full-time players for the 2021 season this week, they will do so with two boasting some spring hardware.
McLennan Community College's Miguel Santos and Hank Bard join the Team in Teal having recently been crowned 2021 NJCAA Division I Baseball National Champions after the Highlanders' 7-3 championship game victory over Central Arizona last week. The Highlanders rode an impressive 23-game winning streak to the title, dominating postseason play with all wins coming by two or more runs.
In the title-clinching game, Santos delivered a go-ahead solo homer to break a 1-1 tie, continuing his reputation for rising to the occasion in the postseason. Over seven playoff games, the freshman from Burleson, Tex. Batted .333 with three home runs, eight extra-base hits, and six RBIs, earning him a spot on the JuCo World Series all-tournament team. Santos was a key member of McLennan's lineup at second base all season long, finishing the season with a .344 average, 14 home runs, and 54 RBIs. He ended the year carrying a 6-game hitting streak.
Bard, a utility player from Parker, Colo., appeared in 44 games this season, batting .275 with three home runs and 21 RBIs. The sophomore notched hits in nine of his last 15 games in the spring.
The national championship is the first for McLennan since the 1983 season.
Both Santos and Bard will make their debuts in Rochester uniforms in Tuesday night's home contest against the Mankato MoonDogs. Gates open at 5:30 for first pitch at 6:35 for Monopoly Night at Mayo Field.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from June 14, 2021
- Huskies Blow by Mud Puppies - Duluth Huskies
- Kingfish Pull off an 13-11 Victory against Kalamazoo - Kenosha Kingfish
- Chinook Pitching Stifles Woodchucks in Loss - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Fondy Cruises to Win at Traverse City - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Booyah Recover from Early Deficit - Green Bay Booyah
- Wisconsin Rapids Completes Homestand with Shutout Victory over Madison - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Pit Spitters Fond du Lacking Offense, Drop Opener 6-2 - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Kingfish Fall 7-4 in Game Two to Bombers - Kenosha Kingfish
- McLennan Standouts to Make Honkers Debut Tonight - Rochester Honkers
- Mallards Head to Wisconsin Rapids Once Again to Face Rafters - Madison Mallards
- Former Wisconsin Rapids Rafter Ernie Clement Debuts with the Indians - Northwoods
- Rivets Stumble Early, Can't Come Back against Fond du Lac - Rockford Rivets
- Chinooks Blast Rafters for Fourth-Straight Road Win - Lakeshore Chinooks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rochester Honkers Stories
- Honkers Can't Get Bats Going in Loss to St. Cloud
- Honkers Lose Late Lead, Settle for Series Split against Bismarck
- Honkers Use Five-Run Sixth to Take Series Opener with Bismarck
- Alazaus Leads the Way for Rochester in Second Complete Game Shutout Performance
- Honkers Fall a Hit Short in Loss to Eau Claire