Mavericks Unable to Catch Americans
INDEPENDENCE, Mo. - The Missouri Mavericks fell behind the Allen Americans in the second period on Friday night at Silverstein Eye Centers Arena and were unable to dig out of the hole. The 3-1 loss to start Missouri's six-game home stand dropped its record to 26-22-7 on the season.
Scoring chances were few and far between in the first period as the Mavericks and Americans played to a scoreless draw. The intensity was high from the start, though, as Jacob Doty and Mike Gunn dropped the gloves just over two minutes into the game, and numerous heavy hits were thrown.
Stephon Williams made his second consecutive start for the Mavericks and stopped each of the seven shots he faced in the first. His counterpart, Riley Gill, turned away each of the three shots he saw and ran his string of scoreless periods at Silverstein Eye Centers Arena to four. In his previous start here on November 30, Gill picked up a 24-save shutout in Allen's 1-0 win.
The Americans broke the scoreless draw on their first possession of the second period. After winning the opening draw, Allen built a quick rush from the neutral zone that led to Gary Steffes' 16th goal of the season 15 seconds into the frame.
Missouri dominated the second period in shots on goal at 16-9, but found themselves down 2-0 despite consistent pressure against Gill. Kale Kerbashian picked up his fifth of the season at 8:24 to extend Allen's lead. Penalty minutes started to fill the scoresheet shortly after that. Dane Fox earned a 10-minute misconduct at 8:59 and Doty got into his second fight of the game less than a minute later after he dilvered a big hit at center ice.
After killing off the charging minor that Doty received, the Mavericks cashed in a power play of their own. Kevin Tansey took a feed in the slot and rifled it home for his 10th goal of the season. Darren Nowick and Dan Correale assisted on the score. Allen answered back with a power play goal of its own from David Makowski in the final minute of the second to restore the two-goal lead headed to the third.
The third period belonged to the Mavericks as they out-shot the Americans by a 14-5 count, but Gill was there to turn away each Missouri shot and perserve Allen's two-goal lead. Williams was pulled for the extra attacker with just over two minutes to play, but neither team scored in the extra-attacker situation.
Williams took the loss with an 18-save effort on the night. The Mavericks went 1-for-7 on the power play and 3-for-4 on the penalty kill.
Mark your calendar! The Mavericks are back in action on home ice Saturday, March 4 at 7:05 p.m. to face the Allen Americans! The Mavericks will finish off their Military Appreciation Weekend which will feature a live postgame auction of their red, white and blue military-themed jerseys. These are the first specialty jerseys the Mavericks have ever worn in back-to-back games, and the auction proceeds will benefit Warriors' Ascent. Groups of 15 or more are eligible for discounted tickets and preferred seating based on availability. Call the Mavericks at 816-252-7825 to book your group outing.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 3, 2017
- Mavericks Unable to Catch Americans - Kansas City Mavericks
- Monarchs Come from Behind to Beat Royals, 3-2 - Reading Royals
- Fuel Battle for a Point in Wheeling Overtime Win - Indy Fuel
- Pacan Records Three Points as Beast Drop Close One to K-Wings - Brampton Beast
- Vladar Makes Career High 39 Saves in Atlanta's 7-2 Loss - Atlanta Gladiators
- Strong First Period Fuels Oilers to Victory in Wichita - Tulsa Oilers
- Hot Start Propels Admirals Past Jackals - Norfolk Admirals
- Nailers Drive Past Fuel on Wydo's Overtime Winner - Wheeling Nailers
- Wings Win Fifth Straight Behind Schneider's Three-Point Effort - Kalamazoo Wings
- Jackals Can't Dig out of Early Hole in Norfolk - Elmira Jackals
- Monarchs Prevail in 3-2 Win over Royals - Manchester Monarchs
- Harstad Returns to Steelheads - Idaho Steelheads
- ECHL Transactions - March 3 - ECHL
- Conacher Returns to Solar Bears from Marlies - Orlando Solar Bears
- Blackhawks Assign Kenton Helgesen to Fuel - Indy Fuel
- Monarchs Announce Roster Moves - Manchester Monarchs
- GameDay - Aces at Utah - Friday, March 3, 2017 - Alaska Aces
- Game Day Storylines- at Rapid City - Idaho Steelheads
- Mavericks Game Preview - March 3 vs. Allen - Kansas City Mavericks
- Nailers at Fuel Game Day Snap Shot, March 3 - Wheeling Nailers
- Family Special | 4 Tickets for $17| March 31 Game - Tulsa Oilers
- Reading Royals V Manchester Monarchs (Friday, 0) - Reading Royals
- Beast Bolster Lineup with Addition of NHL Draft Pick Durocher - Brampton Beast
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.