Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Sporting Kansas City
ATLANTA - Atlanta United returns to action Sunday when it travels to face Sporting Kansas City at Children's Mercy Park. The match is scheduled to kick-off at 9 p.m. EST and will be nationally televised on FS1. For all statistics and media information, please visit our new Media Resources page and game notes.
Atlanta is 0-1-1 all-time against Sporting KC and will be making its second trip to Children's Mercy Park. The teams played to a 1-1 draw in their first ever meeting in 2017, in Kansas City, where Jacob Peterson scored a late equalizer. Last season, Sporting KC won the two club's only matchup 2-0 on May 9, 2018 at Mercedes-Benz Stadium.
Atlanta defeated Colorado Rapids 1-0 on April 27 at Mercedes-Benz Stadium. Julian Gressel scored the game-winner in the 74th minute, poking home a Darlington Nagbe cross after the midfielder intercepted a pass, split two defenders as he dribbled to the end line and found Gressel at the near post. It was Gressel's first goal of the season in league play and the 10th of his MLS career.
Sporting KC is coming off a 4-4 draw against New England Revolution April 27 at Children's Mercy Park. After trailing 3-1 at halftime, Sporting KC scored three second-half goals to secure a draw in a wild game that featured 11 cards and saw New England finish with nine men. Kristian Németh and Felipe Gutiérrez each scored twice and lead Sporting KC with six and four goals scored this season. Sporting KC is 1-1-3 in its last five league games but is unbeaten at home this season with a 2-0-2 record.
Sunday, May 5 | Children's Mercy Park, Kansas City, KS |9 p.m. (EST)
Atlanta United (2-3-2, 8 points) vs. Sporting KC (2-2-4, 10 points)
English TV | FS1
Spanish Radio | La Mejor 1600 AM
English Radio | 92-9 The Game
8 p.m.: AT&T Countdown to Kickoff (FB Live/Periscope)
8:30 p.m.: The Pre-Game show (92-9 The Game)
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 3, 2019
- Columbus Crew SC Acquires $225,000 in Allocation Money Via Trade with the LA Galaxy - Columbus Crew SC
- LA Galaxy Acquire Targeted Allocation Money from Columbus Crew SC - LA Galaxy
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Sporting Kansas City - Atlanta United FC
- Impact Takes on New York City FC Saturday at Stade Saputo - Club de Foot Montreal
- Ezequiel Barco Named to Argentina U-20 Squad for 2019 FIFA U-20 World Cup - Atlanta United FC
- LAFC Looks to Extend Winning Streak at Home on Saturday Night against Chicago Fire - Los Angeles FC
- OSC Weekly Ratings Wrapup - OSC Original by David Carlson
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. Minnesota United FC - May 4, 2019 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Preview: Orlando City Return Home to Face Toronto FC - Orlando City SC
- Preview: Sporting to Host Atlanta in Retro Night Showdown - Sporting Kansas City
- FC Dallas Acquires D.C. United First Round Pick in 2020 MLS SuperDraft - FC Dallas
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at Philadelphia Union - New England Revolution
- D.C. United Acquire Defender Marquinhos Pedroso off of Waivers - D.C. United
- The Texas Derby Resumes: Here're 5 Things You Need to Know About FC Dallas' Match vs Houston - FC Dallas
- Real Salt Lake Hosts Portland Timbers Saturday at Rio Tinto Stadium - Real Salt Lake
- George Bello to Miss 2-3 Months with Adductor Injury - Atlanta United FC
- MNUFC Trades Defender Francisco Calvo to Chicago Fire - Minnesota United FC
- Chicago Fire Acquires Defender Francisco Calvo from Minnesota United FC - Chicago Fire FC
- Philadelphia Union Add MLS Pool Goalkeeper Charlie Lyon - Philadelphia Union
- Philadelphia Union Partners with Hispanic Approach, Amanece Magazine - Philadelphia Union
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.