OSC Weekly Ratings Wrapup
by David Carlson
May 3, 2019 - Major League Soccer (MLS)
New York not helping MLS ratings
In addition to the mediocre national ratings for Major League Soccer, which we have summarized below for the past weekend, the addition of New York City teams to the television schedule hasn't seemed to help the numbers. In a recent article on World Soccer Talk (https://worldsoccertalk.com/2019/04/25/mls-tv-ratings-disaster-new-york-city/), they point out that NYC team games actually seem to lower the overall ratings. Meanwhile, L.A. team games are help the average. Considering that Seattle, Portland and Vancouver are in the top 10 for attendance in MLS along with the LA Galaxy and LAFC, it would seem that the West Coast is the hot bed right now for MLS soccer.
|Sunday April 28|
|MLS on FS1, 1:30pm||Not in Top 150 programs|
|MLS on ESPN, 3:30pm||.08, 209k|
ESPN's MLS rating rose slightly from last week, from a .06/166k (4p) to .08/209k (3:30p). On the other hand, the FS1 game didn't rank this week, where last week's 7pm start time got a similar rating to last week's ESPN game.
G League reports increased ratings for 2018-19 season
In a review of the just completed G League season, the NBA claimed that ratings for the G League games on NBA TV and ESPNU were up 5% over the previous season. No broadcasts have been found in the daily top 150 cable shows, but both ESPNU and NBA TV have lower exposure than many other cable networks, and the G League is still not a very big draw on television. With that said, an increase in ratings shows some promise to grow the league on TV going into next season, with the number of NBA teams with an affiliate going from 27 to 28. Only Denver and Portland are lacking a G League affiliate.
NOTE: Don't know what the "demo" is? Unsure of why the different ratings numbers don't match up? Read our explanation of TV ratings in our first article here.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 3, 2019
- Columbus Crew SC Acquires $225,000 in Allocation Money Via Trade with the LA Galaxy - Columbus Crew SC
- LA Galaxy Acquire Targeted Allocation Money from Columbus Crew SC - LA Galaxy
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Sporting Kansas City - Atlanta United FC
- Impact Takes on New York City FC Saturday at Stade Saputo - Club de Foot Montreal
- Ezequiel Barco Named to Argentina U-20 Squad for 2019 FIFA U-20 World Cup - Atlanta United FC
- LAFC Looks to Extend Winning Streak at Home on Saturday Night against Chicago Fire - Los Angeles FC
- OSC Weekly Ratings Wrapup - OSC Original by David Carlson
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. Minnesota United FC - May 4, 2019 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Preview: Orlando City Return Home to Face Toronto FC - Orlando City SC
- Preview: Sporting to Host Atlanta in Retro Night Showdown - Sporting Kansas City
- FC Dallas Acquires D.C. United First Round Pick in 2020 MLS SuperDraft - FC Dallas
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at Philadelphia Union - New England Revolution
- D.C. United Acquire Defender Marquinhos Pedroso off of Waivers - D.C. United
- The Texas Derby Resumes: Here're 5 Things You Need to Know About FC Dallas' Match vs Houston - FC Dallas
- Real Salt Lake Hosts Portland Timbers Saturday at Rio Tinto Stadium - Real Salt Lake
- George Bello to Miss 2-3 Months with Adductor Injury - Atlanta United FC
- MNUFC Trades Defender Francisco Calvo to Chicago Fire - Minnesota United FC
- Chicago Fire Acquires Defender Francisco Calvo from Minnesota United FC - Chicago Fire
- Philadelphia Union Add MLS Pool Goalkeeper Charlie Lyon - Philadelphia Union
- Philadelphia Union Partners with Hispanic Approach, Amanece Magazine - Philadelphia Union
The opinions expressed in this article are those of the writer(s), and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.