The Texas Derby Resumes: Here're 5 Things You Need to Know About FC Dallas' Match vs Houston
FC Dallas (5-2-2, 17 points) travels to Houston to face the Dynamo (5-1-1, 16 points) in BBVA Compass stadium on Saturday in the first of two Texas Derby matches of the season. Dallas hosts Houston during Heineken Rivalry Week on August 24, 2019 at Toyota Stadium.
Details You Need to Know:
Gameday Social: #HOUvFCD
TV: 3PM on Univision (Spanish)
Radio: 3PM CT on FCDallas.com/Radio (English) and 1270AM (Spanish)
Streaming: Twitter (English)
Next Home Match: FC Dallas hosts the New York Red Bulls on Saturday, May 11 at 1PM CT
5 Things to Know About #HOUvFCD
The Texas Derby between FC Dallas and Houston Dynamo is among the fiercest rivalries in MLS. The clubs will compete twice this season and the overall winner of the series will have the right to take home El Capitan, an 18th century replica cannon. El Capitan has been housed in Toyota Stadium since last season when Dallas defeated Houston 4-2 on September 1 to win the 2018 Texas Derby series after the previous two meetings between the clubs ended in 1-1 draws in Houston.
Apart from leading the league in Homegrown minutes this season with 3,175, FC Dallas is also incorporating a youthful approach on the coaching side of things. Luchi Gonzalez, 38, officially became the youngest non-interim head coach in the league following the departure of Anthony Hudson from the Colorado Rapids this week. The average age of MLS head coaches is 46.9-years-old.
Midfielder Michael Barrios has been a near ever-present fixture in FC Dallas' starting XI for the past three years. The diminutive Colombian has played in 95 consecutive league appearances, the second longest uninterrupted streak for an out-field player in league history after Chris Klein with 141 uninterrupted appearances. Further, FC Dallas has a record of 16-3-3 when Barrios has gotten on the score sheet and a 29-7-7 when he's either scored or assisted.
FC Dallas is typically hot and cold when playing against Houston and has racked up a 10-10-13 record all-time. Similarly, Dallas has experienced mixed results when traveling down I-45 to play in BBVA Compass Stadium and has a 4-7-6 all-time away record against their main rivals.
About the Dynamo
The Dynamo is currently one point and place behind FC Dallas in the rankings with two fewer games played. Recently, they've enjoyed a good spell of results with five wins and just one loss in their last six games. Worryingly for Luchi Gonzalez and FC Dallas, Houston has yet to lose at home this season, winning four and drawing one game in BBVA Compass Stadium so far in 2019.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 3, 2019
- Columbus Crew SC Acquires $225,000 in Allocation Money Via Trade with the LA Galaxy - Columbus Crew SC
- LA Galaxy Acquire Targeted Allocation Money from Columbus Crew SC - LA Galaxy
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Sporting Kansas City - Atlanta United FC
- Impact Takes on New York City FC Saturday at Stade Saputo - Montreal Impact
- Ezequiel Barco Named to Argentina U-20 Squad for 2019 FIFA U-20 World Cup - Atlanta United FC
- LAFC Looks to Extend Winning Streak at Home on Saturday Night against Chicago Fire - Los Angeles FC
- OSC Weekly Ratings Wrapup - OSC Original by David Carlson
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. Minnesota United FC - May 4, 2019 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Preview: Orlando City Return Home to Face Toronto FC - Orlando City SC
- Preview: Sporting to Host Atlanta in Retro Night Showdown - Sporting Kansas City
- FC Dallas Acquires D.C. United First Round Pick in 2020 MLS SuperDraft - FC Dallas
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at Philadelphia Union - New England Revolution
- D.C. United Acquire Defender Marquinhos Pedroso off of Waivers - D.C. United
- The Texas Derby Resumes: Here're 5 Things You Need to Know About FC Dallas' Match vs Houston - FC Dallas
- Real Salt Lake Hosts Portland Timbers Saturday at Rio Tinto Stadium - Real Salt Lake
- George Bello to Miss 2-3 Months with Adductor Injury - Atlanta United FC
- MNUFC Trades Defender Francisco Calvo to Chicago Fire - Minnesota United FC
- Chicago Fire Acquires Defender Francisco Calvo from Minnesota United FC - Chicago Fire
- Philadelphia Union Add MLS Pool Goalkeeper Charlie Lyon - Philadelphia Union
- Philadelphia Union Partners with Hispanic Approach, Amanece Magazine - Philadelphia Union
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent FC Dallas Stories
- 2020 New Mexico Bowl Will be Played at Toyota Stadium
- Sixth-Seeded FC Dallas Upsets Third-Seeded Portland Timbers at Providence Park
- #PORvFCD: Five Facts You Need to Know
- FC Dallas and Chase Kick off Five Days of Giving with Five $10,000 Donations
- FC Dallas Faces Portland Timbers on November 22 at 9PM CT in MLS Cup Playoffs Round One Match