Manager Diego Alonso: "We Have to Insist Until It HappensÃ¢ÂÂ
Heading into the third and final group stage match in the MLS is Back Tournament, Inter Miami will seek to get the first MLS win in Club history and keep the team's hopes of advancing to the knockouts round alive. Manager Diego Alonso remains as ambitious and as committed as ever to getting the three points for Inter Miami against New York City FC the morning of Monday, July 20.
"We're preparing with great enthusiasm, eager to go out in search of our first three points. We have to insist until it happens. I can't find another way of living life itself or soccer other than chasing our dreams and striving to make them come true," said Alonso.
For the Uruguayan manager, the players have been performing at a great level on the pitch and with time their unity as a group and collective performance will only continue to improve.
"I think we have less than what we deserve so far. The team wasn't vastly outperformed in any of the four matches. In my opinion, I think the only match in which the rival was better than us was against LAFC. But in the other three games, I think we deserved more, we deserved a result in our favor. On the one hand, that shows there have been some very good things. For me, our performance in the last match is the best one out of the four matches we have played," added Alonso.
"On the other hand, it shows that there are things that need to be adjusted. I think that is part of the daily work. It is part of bonding. It is part of having a team that never played together before, not only a team that is new because the manager is new, but because the players are also new and need to bond. We need to play more games for that feeling to be there, so that there is more communication. You gain that by competing and by correcting details in training so that the bond and understanding between the players gets stronger. There's no other way of gaining that."
Alonso also reassured the Club's fans that his sole focus lies in creating a winning team, and that the organization has the necessary elements to head in the right direction.
"I'm very happy to be the manager of Inter Miami and I'm convinced that we will not only win many matches but that we are going to be extremely competitive. I'm going to win titles with this team, I have no doubts about that and I'm fully convinced. I know that this is a process and that at first it's tough. We would all have liked for this story to begin differently, but I'm convinced of who I am, of the players we have, the owners and front office that we have and what we want to achieve," he concluded.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 17, 2020
- D.C. United Draw 1-1 against New England in the Second Match of the MLS Is Back Tournament - D.C. United
- Revolution and D.C. United Play to 1-1 Draw in MLS Is Back Tournament - New England Revolution
- Rapids Fall Late - Colorado Rapids
- Pareja, Lions Look for Group Stage Clean Sweep - Orlando City SC
- Ulloa: "It's Going to be a Final for Us on Monday MorningÃ¢ÂÂ - Inter Miami CF
- LA Galaxy and East Side Riders Bike Club to Host Group Bike Ride from Watts to Dignity Health Sports Park on Saturday - LA Galaxy
- Manager Diego Alonso: "We Have to Insist Until It HappensÃ¢ÂÂ - Inter Miami CF
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo Face Portland Timbers in Critical Group F Match - Houston Dynamo
- Chicago Fire FC Launches Expansive Reimagined Kids Club Program for Kids 12-And-Under - Chicago Fire
- Philadelphia Union Sign Defender Nathan Harriel to Homegrown Contract - Philadelphia Union
- Orlando City Acquires 2021 MLS SuperDraft First Round Pick from Philadelphia Union - Orlando City SC
- Major League Soccer Announces New Expansion Timeline - MLS
- LAFC Faces Crosstown Rival La Galaxy in Second Group Stage Match of the MLS Is Back Tournament Saturday Night - Los Angeles FC
- Orlando City Faces Philadelphia Union on Monday - Orlando City SC
- WGN-TV to Air Rebroadcast of Win over Seattle Sounders FC on Sunday Afternoon in Lead-Up to Match Versus San Jose Earthquakes - Chicago Fire
- Orlando City SC Academy College Commitments - Orlando City SC
- Game Preview: New England Revolution vs. D.C. United - New England Revolution
- Columbus Crew SC Adds Corey Wray to Black & Gold's Technical Staff - Columbus Crew SC
- Servando Carrasco on Fort Lauderdale CF: "If I Want to Really Get the Best out of My Teammates I Have to Set the Example First" - MLS
- Columbus Crew SC Defender Vito Wormgoor Undergoes Successful Ankle Surgery - Columbus Crew SC
- Red Bulls Fall to Columbus, 2-0 - New York Red Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Inter Miami CF Stories
- Inter Miami CF to Join eMLS Ahead of 2021 Competitive Season
- Inter Miami CF to Host Orlando City SC on Saturday
- Inter Miami CF Will Open Stadium to Limited Number of Season Ticket Members on Saturday
- Inter Miami CF Falls to Montreal Impact on the Road
- Inter Miami CF to Visit Montreal Impact on Saturday