Mallards Drop Regular Season Finale 8-4
FOND DU LAC, Wis. - The Madison Mallards (42-30) fell 8-4 to the Fond du Lac Dock Spiders (36-35) at Herr-Baker Field in the final game of the regular season on Sunday. The Mallards out-hit the Dock Spiders 11-8, but could only muster four runs.
The Mallards took a quick 1-0 lead in the first inning. Austin Blazevic (SEMO) smacked an RBI single, extending his hitting streak to 19 games at the end of the regular season.
Fond du Lac countered with a three-run second inning. With the bases loaded, Brad Hudson (Southern Illinois) laced a bases-clearing triple to give the Dock Spiders a 3-1 lead.
Madison tied the game 3-3 in the third inning. Blazevic ripped another RBI single and then Jordan Stephens (Miami-Ohio) plated the game-tying run with a sacrifice fly.
In the fourth, the Dock Spiders took the lead and did not relinquish it. Duncan Hunter (Jacksonville) came off the bench and cranked a pinch-hit, two-RBI single to put the Spiders ahead 5-3.
Stephens roped another RBI single in the fifth and closed the gap to 5-4.
The Dock Spiders tacked on two more runs in the sixth thanks to RBIs from Zeb Adreon (Iowa) and another one from Hunter.
Ryan Sepede (BYU) poked through an RBI single in the seventh inning and pushed the Fond du Lac lead to 8-4, which ultimately held on as final.
River Carbone (Arizona Christian) earned the win in relief for the Dock Spiders.
Chase Gockel (Parkland College) donned the loss for the Mallards after allowing four runs across two innings.
After Zach Prajzner (Notre Dame) left the game with an injury, Hunter came off of the bench and immediately produced for the Dock Spiders. Hunter lined a two-RBI single to break a 3-3 tie and put Fondy on top. The Dock Spiders did not lose the lead after that point.
Blazevic ended the regular season on a 19-game hitting streak and finished 2-for-4 with two RBI. With a strong second half in the books, Blazevic ended the season hitting .339.
Stephens drove home a pair of runs and had a multi-hit game, going 2-for-3.
EJ Ranel (Lenoir-Rhyne) went 2-for-5 at the top of the order and scored two runs. Ranel also made a diving catch in right field defensively.
The Mallards will compete in the playoffs beginning on Monday. The time and opponent are yet to be determined. If the Wisconsin Rapids Rafters defeat the Lakeshore Chinooks, Madison will head to Rapids for a Monday night matchup. If the Rafters lose, the Mallards will host the Dock Spiders at the Duck Pond on Monday. Game times will be announced by the Northwoods League Sunday night. Hear every pitch of the 2019 Mallards' season live on The Zone, 96.7 FM and 1670 AM.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 11, 2019
- Stingers Fall to Duluth - Willmar Stingers
- Huskies End 2019 Season with Win over Willmar - Duluth Huskies
- Honkers Fall to MoonDogs in Season Finale - Rochester Honkers
- Chinooks Fall to Rafters in Final Game of the Season - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Mallards Set to Meet Rafters in First Round of Playoffs - Madison Mallards
- Rafters Win Second Half, Head to Playoffs - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- MoonDogs Wrap up Season with Sunday Win over Honkers - Mankato MoonDogs
- Rox Top Border Cats in Slugfest to Finish Schedule - Thunder Bay Border Cats
- Woodchucks Win Final Game of the Season in Green Bay - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Express Beat Bucks in Final Regular Season Game - Eau Claire Express
- St. Cloud Rox 2019 Playoff Picture - St. Cloud Rox
- Mallards Drop Regular Season Finale 8-4 - Madison Mallards
- Kalamazoo Caps off the Regular Season, Trouncing Traverse City - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Ferguson Plays All Nine, Bucks Fall 11-7 in Finale - Waterloo Bucks
- Tucker Completes Feat as Bombers Drop Final Game - Battle Creek Bombers
- And Now We Wait - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Kingfish Close out Season with Win over Bombers - Kenosha Kingfish
- Playoff Spot at Stake in Final Day of Regular Season - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Loggers Walk off Bismarck in the Bottom of the Ninth - La Crosse Loggers
- Mallards Close out Regular Season against Dock Spiders - Madison Mallards
- Positives for Border Cats and Rox in Doubleheader Split - Thunder Bay Border Cats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Madison Mallards Stories
- Spooktacular Lineup of Movies Headed to the Haunted Duck Pond Drive-In
- Harry Potter Night Jersey Auction to Benefit the Children's Theater of Madison
- Mallards General Manager Tyler Isham Moving On
- Mallards Offer Exclusive 2020 Bobbleheads with Drive-In Movies
- in Memoriam: Madison Mallards 2020 Season (2020-2020)