Kalamazoo Caps off the Regular Season, Trouncing Traverse City
Kalamazoo, Mich. - The Kalamazoo Growlers (37-35) downed the Traverse City Pit Spitters (52-20) by a final score of 15-4.
The Growlers scored five runs in the first, as the first six batters reached base. Hunter Thorn (Purdue Northwest) singled through the left side to score Nick Neville. In the ensuing at bat, Emilio Rosas (Southern California) drilled his second home run and first grand slam of the summer to put Kalamazoo on top.
KZoo added four more runs in the third on another grand slam by Jarrett Smetana (Kent State), driving in Thorn, Clay Owens (Southern California) and Joe Stewart (MSU).
Nate Wargolet (1-0, GVSU) pitched 4.2 shutout innings, allowing four hits, while striking out four Pit Spitters.
Wargolet was replaced by Travis Bowman (Mount Mercy), who retired seven of the next eight batters he faced.
Traverse City scored all four runs on four hits in the seventh, including a two run single by Trace Slancik (Hope). Mario Camilletti (Oakland) and Michael Slaten (Benedictine) had back-to-back RBIs as well.
The Growlers capped off the eighth by scoring six runs on four hits, including a three-run double by Owens. The other three runs came on a Nick Neville (South Carolina) RBI walk, an RBI single by Rosas and an RBI groundout by Stewart.
Jarrett Smetana was the standout of the game for the Growlers, who in his first game in the order this season, went 3-5 with four RBIs, two runs scored and a stolen base.
Sean Hoey (0-1, Hope) registered his first loss of the summer after allowing eight earned runs on seven hits.
The Kalamazoo Growlers return to action tomorrow, in the first game of the 2019 Northwoods League Playoffs against the Traverse City Pit Spitters. First pitch is slated for 7:05 p.m. JT Rogoszewski (CMU) and Chad Patrick (Purdue Northwest) are the designated starters for the game.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 11, 2019
- Stingers Fall to Duluth - Willmar Stingers
- Huskies End 2019 Season with Win over Willmar - Duluth Huskies
- Honkers Fall to MoonDogs in Season Finale - Rochester Honkers
- Chinooks Fall to Rafters in Final Game of the Season - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Mallards Set to Meet Rafters in First Round of Playoffs - Madison Mallards
- Rafters Win Second Half, Head to Playoffs - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- MoonDogs Wrap up Season with Sunday Win over Honkers - Mankato MoonDogs
- Rox Top Border Cats in Slugfest to Finish Schedule - Thunder Bay Border Cats
- Woodchucks Win Final Game of the Season in Green Bay - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Express Beat Bucks in Final Regular Season Game - Eau Claire Express
- St. Cloud Rox 2019 Playoff Picture - St. Cloud Rox
- Mallards Drop Regular Season Finale 8-4 - Madison Mallards
- Kalamazoo Caps off the Regular Season, Trouncing Traverse City - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Ferguson Plays All Nine, Bucks Fall 11-7 in Finale - Waterloo Bucks
- Tucker Completes Feat as Bombers Drop Final Game - Battle Creek Bombers
- And Now We Wait - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Kingfish Close out Season with Win over Bombers - Kenosha Kingfish
- Playoff Spot at Stake in Final Day of Regular Season - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Loggers Walk off Bismarck in the Bottom of the Ninth - La Crosse Loggers
- Mallards Close out Regular Season against Dock Spiders - Madison Mallards
- Positives for Border Cats and Rox in Doubleheader Split - Thunder Bay Border Cats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kalamazoo Growlers Stories
- 27th Annual Kalamazoo Blues Fest Comes to Homer Stryker Field
- Coach Piechocki Back for Fourth Season in Charge
- Growlers Announce Second Ballpark Holiday Fest
- Growlers Release 2020 Schedule with New Start Times to Accommodate Fans
- Kalamazoo Growlers Bring Mac & Cheese Fest to Homer Stryker Field