Luke Prihoda Named SAL Pitcher of the Week
CHARLESTON, SC - Charleston RiverDogs right-handed pitcher Luke Prihoda has been named the South Atlantic League Pitcher of the Week, as announced by the league office on Monday.
The right-handed reliever went 2-0 with one save in three appearances last week and posted a perfect 0.00 ERA. Combined, he pitched five complete innings and allowed only two hits, walked none and struck out seven.
The Weimar, Texas native was signed by the New York Yankees in July as a free agent from the Grand Prairie AirHogs of the independent American Association.
Originally a 24th round pick in 2007 by the Arizona Diamondbacks, Prihoda was released in 2008 and picked up with the Edinburg Coyotes of the independent United Baseball League.
The all-time saves leader at Sam Houston State University was named the NCAA "Stopper of the Year" in 2007, which is awarded to the nation's best relief pitcher.
He becomes the RiverDogs' third pitcher of the week joining Cory Arbiso (July 20-26) and Hector Noesi (May 11-17). Offensively, Charleston has had infielder Corban Joseph (July 20-26) and outfielder Melky Mesa (June 22-28) collect player of the week citations.
Charleston embarks on its final road trip of the season Monday night, kicking off a four-game series in three days against Rome at State Mutual Stadium in Rome, Ga. The RiverDogs return to Joseph P. Riley, Jr. Park on Thursday, Sept. 3, for a five-game homestand against the Savannah Sand Gnats to close out the 2009 season. Tickets may be purchased by calling (843) 577-DOGS (3647) or online at www.riverdogs.com.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 31, 2009
- Legends win final home game of 2009 - Lexington Legends
- Power take rubber match from Crawdads - West Virginia Power
- Suns score five straight to win - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Drive end August with one-run loss to Legends, 3-2 - Greenville Drive
- Crawdads edged 4-2 by Power - Hickory Crawdads
- Braves hold off Dogs, 2-0 - Rome Braves
- Delgado masters Charleston, 2-0 - Charleston RiverDogs
- Kannapolis loses again in Greensboro, 4-2 - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Gnats-GreenJackets Postponed - Savannah Sand Gnats
- Key break helps Jackets avoid sweep - Augusta GreenJackets
- Dusty Wathan and Anthony Gose on SAL All-Star Team - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Trio of RiverDogs Named to SAL Postseason All-Star Team - Charleston RiverDogs
- Luke Prihoda Named SAL Pitcher of the Week - Charleston RiverDogs
- GreenJackets Announce 2010 Home Opener - Augusta GreenJackets
- Mazzola Earns SAL All-Star Honors - Augusta GreenJackets
- South Atlantic League Announces 2009 Annual All-Star Team - SAL
- Morrison named to 2009 SAL Annual All-Star Team - Hickory Crawdads
- Aristil Goes the Distance: Tourists Win 7-0 - Asheville Tourists
- Tourists Pacheco, Robinson Honored By South Atlantic League - Asheville Tourists
- Hot Rods shut out in series finale with Asheville, 7-0 - Bowling Green Hot Rods
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charleston RiverDogs Stories
- Lockridge Bails out RiverDogs for Series Finale Win
- Luis Gil Dominates over Five Innings, Dogs Cough up Ninth Inning Lead in Eventual Extras Loss
- RiverDogs Encourage Fans to Slow Down, Bring Dogs, and Kick Back for a Week at the Joe
- RiverDogs Score Five Unanswered, Fall Short of Comeback in Augusta
- Dogs Clinch Series Behind Strong Orozco Start