Dusty Wathan and Anthony Gose on SAL All-Star Team
LAKEWOOD, NJ - BlueClaws manager Dusty Wathan and centerfielder Anthony Gose were named to the 2009 South Atlantic League All-Star team, it was announced Monday by league President Eric Krupa.
Wathan, 36, in his just his second year as a manger, first with the BlueClaws, was named the Manager of the team after leading the BlueClaws to the Northern Division first-half title. It is just the second playoff appearance in BlueClaws team history.
"It's a great honor to be selected by my peers, but this is a team honor," said Wathan. "You're only as good as your players and staff and we''ve had a great group this year."
Wathan is the first BlueClaws manager to be selected in their nine-year history to the SAL All-Star team.
Gose, 19, leads all of Minor League Baseball with 74 stolen bases, and broke the BlueClaws franchise record when he stole his 60th base on August 4th. Gose was drafted in the 2nd round of the 2008 draft by the Phillies.
"Gose has been outstanding all year long and certainly deserves this honor," said Wathan. "He provides a tremendous presence both in the box and then when he gets on base."
Gose is the fifth BlueClaws player to be selected. Carlos Carrasco and Matt Maloney were selected in 2006, Quintin Berry in 2007, and Freddy Galvis in 2008.
West Virginia's Rudy Owens was named Most Outstanding Pitcher. Hagerstown catcher Derek Norris was named the league's Most Outstanding Major Leauge Prospect, and Asheville catcher Jordan Pacheco was named the league''s Most Valuable Player.
The Lakewood BlueClaws have led the South Atlantic League in attendance in each year of existence and recently became the fastest in the SAL and New Jersey to reach 4-million fans.
Lakewood's first home playoff game will be Friday, September 11th at 7:05. Tickets are on sale now at 732-901-7000, the BlueClaws Box Office, or BlueClaws.com. The 2009 BlueClaws Post-season is presented by Central Jersey Blood Center.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 31, 2009
- Legends win final home game of 2009 - Lexington Legends
- Power take rubber match from Crawdads - West Virginia Power
- Suns score five straight to win - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Drive end August with one-run loss to Legends, 3-2 - Greenville Drive
- Crawdads edged 4-2 by Power - Hickory Crawdads
- Braves hold off Dogs, 2-0 - Rome Braves
- Delgado masters Charleston, 2-0 - Charleston RiverDogs
- Kannapolis loses again in Greensboro, 4-2 - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Gnats-GreenJackets Postponed - Savannah Sand Gnats
- Key break helps Jackets avoid sweep - Augusta GreenJackets
- Dusty Wathan and Anthony Gose on SAL All-Star Team - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Trio of RiverDogs Named to SAL Postseason All-Star Team - Charleston RiverDogs
- Luke Prihoda Named SAL Pitcher of the Week - Charleston RiverDogs
- GreenJackets Announce 2010 Home Opener - Augusta GreenJackets
- Mazzola Earns SAL All-Star Honors - Augusta GreenJackets
- South Atlantic League Announces 2009 Annual All-Star Team - SAL
- Morrison named to 2009 SAL Annual All-Star Team - Hickory Crawdads
- Aristil Goes the Distance: Tourists Win 7-0 - Asheville Tourists
- Tourists Pacheco, Robinson Honored By South Atlantic League - Asheville Tourists
- Hot Rods shut out in series finale with Asheville, 7-0 - Bowling Green Hot Rods
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.