Trio of RiverDogs Named to SAL Postseason All-Star Team
CHARLESTON, SC - The South Atlantic League office announced Monday that Charleston RiverDogs pitcher David Phelps, outfielder Melky Mesa and infielder Corban Joseph have been selected to the league's Postseason All-Star Team. The three honorees are the most for any team in the league.
Phelps, a 14th round pick last year out of the University of Notre Dame, was the RiverDogs' most consistent starter before his promotion to the High-A Tampa Yankees of the Florida State League in late July. The St. Louis native posted a 10-3 record in 19 starts with a 2.80 ERA, which is still tied for sixth-best in the league.
Mesa has staked his claim as one of the premier power hitters in all of Class-A, currently sitting with 20 home runs, tied for third in the loop. The Dominican Republic native also ranks sixth in the league with 72 RBI, tied for fourth with 50 extra base hits and his 74 runs scored are fifth- best in the circuit.
Joseph's presence has been unmistakable since his promotion to Charleston from extended spring training in May. The Franklin, Tenn. native has raked at a .303 clip, which ranks fourth in the league. The former fourth round pick in 2008 was also recently named the Topps Player of the Month for July in SAL after hitting an incredible .410 with 13 multi-hit games, including eight in a row at one point.
The RiverDogs have had a postseason all-star pick in three consecutive seasons, with catcher Jesus Montero garnering those laurels in 2008 and third baseman Mitch Hilligoss doing the same in 2007.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 31, 2009
- Legends win final home game of 2009 - Lexington Legends
- Power take rubber match from Crawdads - West Virginia Power
- Suns score five straight to win - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Drive end August with one-run loss to Legends, 3-2 - Greenville Drive
- Crawdads edged 4-2 by Power - Hickory Crawdads
- Braves hold off Dogs, 2-0 - Rome Braves
- Delgado masters Charleston, 2-0 - Charleston RiverDogs
- Kannapolis loses again in Greensboro, 4-2 - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Gnats-GreenJackets Postponed - Savannah Sand Gnats
- Key break helps Jackets avoid sweep - Augusta GreenJackets
- Dusty Wathan and Anthony Gose on SAL All-Star Team - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Trio of RiverDogs Named to SAL Postseason All-Star Team - Charleston RiverDogs
- Luke Prihoda Named SAL Pitcher of the Week - Charleston RiverDogs
- GreenJackets Announce 2010 Home Opener - Augusta GreenJackets
- Mazzola Earns SAL All-Star Honors - Augusta GreenJackets
- South Atlantic League Announces 2009 Annual All-Star Team - SAL
- Morrison named to 2009 SAL Annual All-Star Team - Hickory Crawdads
- Aristil Goes the Distance: Tourists Win 7-0 - Asheville Tourists
- Tourists Pacheco, Robinson Honored By South Atlantic League - Asheville Tourists
- Hot Rods shut out in series finale with Asheville, 7-0 - Bowling Green Hot Rods
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charleston RiverDogs Stories
- RiverDogs Announce Game Times for 2019 Season
- Severns Named RiverDogs' New Head Groundskeeper
- RiverDogs Reschedule Shrimp and Grits Food Festival to Sunday, November 11
- RiverDogs Add Two New Members to Front Office
- RiverDogs Host Second Annual Shrimp and Grits Food Festival Saturday, November 10