Suns score five straight to win
LAKEWOOD, NJ - The Lakewood BlueClaws got out to a 3-0 lead on Monday night, but the Hagerstown Suns scored the final five runs of the ballgame and won 5-3.
The BlueClaws (31-30) got out to a great start against Suns (22-38) starter Marcos Frias as they touched him up for three runs in the first two innings. Frias had pitched in his last two starts against the BlueClaws and allowed just one run in 12 innings. However, Frias settled and the BlueClaws came unscrewed.
In the top of the second inning BlueClaws starter Justin De Frauts exited the game with an undisclosed injury and Jordan Ellis came on in relief. Ellis worked a clean two outs to finish the second but struggled in the third.
In the third, Ellis (4-4) got the leadoff hitter Robert Jacobsen but then allowed a double and three free passes, two walks and a hit batter, before a three-run double by Tyler Moore made it a four-run inning and a Suns lead.
Ryan Bergh relieved Ellis and worked well as he did not allow a run in 2.1 innings of work to bridge the gap to Santo Hernandez. In total, Ellis allowed five runs in 3.1 innings.
Frias (9-4) worked a total of five innings to earn the win, his ninth of the season. Frias allowed three runs, two earned on the night. He was relieved by Chris Lugo who was outstanding in relief, going the final four innings.
The loss is the third straight for the BlueClaws. They were the last team in full-season Minor League Baseball to lose three in a row and this is their second such streak.
The BlueClaws will continue their final homestand of the season with game two of a three game series with the Suns at 7:05 pm Tuesday. For the third straight turn in the rotation, Trevor May (3-1) will face AJ Morris (0-3).
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 31, 2009
- Legends win final home game of 2009 - Lexington Legends
- Power take rubber match from Crawdads - West Virginia Power
- Suns score five straight to win - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Drive end August with one-run loss to Legends, 3-2 - Greenville Drive
- Crawdads edged 4-2 by Power - Hickory Crawdads
- Braves hold off Dogs, 2-0 - Rome Braves
- Delgado masters Charleston, 2-0 - Charleston RiverDogs
- Kannapolis loses again in Greensboro, 4-2 - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Gnats-GreenJackets Postponed - Savannah Sand Gnats
- Key break helps Jackets avoid sweep - Augusta GreenJackets
- Dusty Wathan and Anthony Gose on SAL All-Star Team - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Trio of RiverDogs Named to SAL Postseason All-Star Team - Charleston RiverDogs
- Luke Prihoda Named SAL Pitcher of the Week - Charleston RiverDogs
- GreenJackets Announce 2010 Home Opener - Augusta GreenJackets
- Mazzola Earns SAL All-Star Honors - Augusta GreenJackets
- South Atlantic League Announces 2009 Annual All-Star Team - SAL
- Morrison named to 2009 SAL Annual All-Star Team - Hickory Crawdads
- Aristil Goes the Distance: Tourists Win 7-0 - Asheville Tourists
- Tourists Pacheco, Robinson Honored By South Atlantic League - Asheville Tourists
- Hot Rods shut out in series finale with Asheville, 7-0 - Bowling Green Hot Rods
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.