Aristil Goes the Distance: Tourists Win 7-0
(Bowling, Green, KY)Following a 16 inning ballgame on Sunday, the Tourists needed a strong start from their starter on Monday afternoon. Asheville got that and more from Jonathan Aristil with a complete game shutout, taking two of three games from Bowling Green. Aristil allowed just six hits and one walk while striking out three in his fourth win of the season. The victory keeps Asheville at least 3.5 games ahead in first place with just seven more remaining in the regular season.
Asheville broke a scoreless tie in the fifth inning off Hot Rods starting pitcher Shane Dyer. Carlos Martinez was hit by a pitch and moved to second on an errant pickoff throw. Then with two outs, Kiel Roling singled in Martinez for the first run of the game. Mike Zuanich would reach on an error by the third baseman Jeremy Beckham, moving Roling to second base. Roling would come in to score on a single from Jimmy Cesario,
Jimmy Cesario finished off a powerful month with is fifth homerun in August - a three run blast - to give Asheville a 6-0 lead in the seventh inning. Scott Robinson and Dleta Cleary Jr. singled to begin the four-run seventh inning. Kiel Roling then brought in Robinson with a double and Cesario followed up with his 10th homerun of the season.
Kiel Roling had a four-hit game that included his 20th homerun of the season in the ninth inning. Roling currently leads the league in batting (.336) and tied for third in homeruns with twenty. Delta Cleary finished the game with three hits but was removed in the later innings while getting hit in the lower body with a line drive off the bat of Mike Zuanich. Cleary left the field under his own ability.
The Tourists return home on Tuesday for the final homestand of the regular season against the Lexington Legends. Alan DeRatt will get the start for Asheville with the first pitch at 7:05.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 31, 2009
- Legends win final home game of 2009 - Lexington Legends
- Power take rubber match from Crawdads - West Virginia Power
- Suns score five straight to win - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Drive end August with one-run loss to Legends, 3-2 - Greenville Drive
- Crawdads edged 4-2 by Power - Hickory Crawdads
- Braves hold off Dogs, 2-0 - Rome Braves
- Delgado masters Charleston, 2-0 - Charleston RiverDogs
- Kannapolis loses again in Greensboro, 4-2 - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Gnats-GreenJackets Postponed - Savannah Sand Gnats
- Key break helps Jackets avoid sweep - Augusta GreenJackets
- Dusty Wathan and Anthony Gose on SAL All-Star Team - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Trio of RiverDogs Named to SAL Postseason All-Star Team - Charleston RiverDogs
- Luke Prihoda Named SAL Pitcher of the Week - Charleston RiverDogs
- GreenJackets Announce 2010 Home Opener - Augusta GreenJackets
- Mazzola Earns SAL All-Star Honors - Augusta GreenJackets
- South Atlantic League Announces 2009 Annual All-Star Team - SAL
- Morrison named to 2009 SAL Annual All-Star Team - Hickory Crawdads
- Aristil Goes the Distance: Tourists Win 7-0 - Asheville Tourists
- Tourists Pacheco, Robinson Honored By South Atlantic League - Asheville Tourists
- Hot Rods shut out in series finale with Asheville, 7-0 - Bowling Green Hot Rods
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.