Morrison named to 2009 SAL Annual All-Star Team
HICKORY, NC - Eric Krupa, president of the South Atlantic League, announced on Monday the selections to the 2009 SAL Annual All-Star Team. Hickory Crawdads 1B Erik Morrison was selected to the All-Star Team as the league's top utility infielder, while Asheville Tourists C Jordan Pacheco earned Most Valuable Player, West Virginia Power LHP Rudy Owens was named Most Outstanding Pitcher and Hagerstown Suns C Derek Norris was tabbed Most Outstanding Major League Prospect.
Morrison, 23, played in 94 games with the Crawdads during the 2009 season, before being promoted to the Bakersfield Blaze in the California League (High-A) on August 19. He led the Crawdads in most offensive categories, including batting average (.297), home runs (18), RBIs (66), doubles (32), hits (105), on-base percentage (.368) and slugging percentage (.558). The Pismo Beach, California, native still is tied for sixth in the league in both home runs and batting average, and also ranks second in extra-base hits with 53. His 32 doubles are also tied for fourth in the Crawdads single season record books.
Morrison, a 2009 SAL Midseason All-Star, put together a team-high hitting streak of 15 games from June 10 to June 29, which is also tied for the seventh-longest hitting streak in the league. He also compiled two 11-game hitting streaks, which are the second-longest on the team this season. Morrison was selected by the Rangers in the 46th round of the 2008 draft out of the University of Kansas.
Pacheco has compiled a league-high .325 average with 13 home runs and 79 RBIs in 111 games with the Tourists. Owens went 10-1 with a 1.70 ERA in 19 starts with the Power. He struck out 91 batters and only walked 15 in 100.2 innings. Norris is hitting .288 with 23 homers and 83 RBIs for the Suns. He is second in the league in both long-balls and RBIs. The All-Star Team was voted on by the 16 South Atlantic League teams' field managers, general managers, sports writers and broadcasters for a total of 64 votes.
The Crawdads conclude their three-game road series against the Power on Monday at 7:05 p.m. Catch all the action live on The Big Dawg 92.1 FM and Hickorycrawdads.com, and be sure to tune in early for Crawdads Countdown, presented by George's On The Lake!
Hickory returns to L.P. Frans Stadium for their final home series of the 2009 season from Tuesday, Sept. 1 to Thursday, Sept. 3 against the Greensboro Grasshoppers. The Crawdads Unemployment Night will be extended to this series as well. Fans can receive four free tickets to any of the three games by presenting their NCESC debit card or printed online statement at the Crawdads Ticket Office.
The Tuesday, Sept. 1 game is the last Dollar Day of the season -- buy one grandstand ticket and get an additional one for just a buck! Nine other items around the ballpark will also be priced at only $1, including select delicious concessions items and souvenir programs. Then, all kids in attendance on Wednesday, Sept. 2 can run the bases like the pros after the game. The series and home schedule concludes with a $1 Beverage Night on Thursday, Sept. 3, when your favorite beverages cost just a buck at L.P. Frans Stadium!
Single game tickets for all 2009 Crawdads games are on sale at the Crawdads Ticket Office and online at www.hickorycrawdads.com and start at just $6! Season tickets, mini-plans and group outings are available at the Crawdads office, located at 2500 Clement Blvd. NW or by calling 322-3000.
Season tickets, group outings and corporate partnerships for the 2010 season are available right now at the Crawdads Front Office or by calling (828) 322-3000.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 31, 2009
- Legends win final home game of 2009 - Lexington Legends
- Power take rubber match from Crawdads - West Virginia Power
- Suns score five straight to win - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Drive end August with one-run loss to Legends, 3-2 - Greenville Drive
- Crawdads edged 4-2 by Power - Hickory Crawdads
- Braves hold off Dogs, 2-0 - Rome Braves
- Delgado masters Charleston, 2-0 - Charleston RiverDogs
- Kannapolis loses again in Greensboro, 4-2 - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Gnats-GreenJackets Postponed - Savannah Sand Gnats
- Key break helps Jackets avoid sweep - Augusta GreenJackets
- Dusty Wathan and Anthony Gose on SAL All-Star Team - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Trio of RiverDogs Named to SAL Postseason All-Star Team - Charleston RiverDogs
- Luke Prihoda Named SAL Pitcher of the Week - Charleston RiverDogs
- GreenJackets Announce 2010 Home Opener - Augusta GreenJackets
- Mazzola Earns SAL All-Star Honors - Augusta GreenJackets
- South Atlantic League Announces 2009 Annual All-Star Team - SAL
- Morrison named to 2009 SAL Annual All-Star Team - Hickory Crawdads
- Aristil Goes the Distance: Tourists Win 7-0 - Asheville Tourists
- Tourists Pacheco, Robinson Honored By South Atlantic League - Asheville Tourists
- Hot Rods shut out in series finale with Asheville, 7-0 - Bowling Green Hot Rods
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.