Tourists Pacheco, Robinson Honored By South Atlantic League
Asheville Tourists catcher Jordan Pacheco was named the South Atlantic League's Most Valuable Player and was joined by teammate Scott Robinson on the Class A circuit's 2009 Annual All-Star team, in an announcement made by SAL president Eric Krupa on Monday afternoon.
Pacheco enters the first-place Tourists' game at Bowling Green on Monday leading the SAL with a .325 batting average, one point ahead of teammate Kiel Roling. Pacheco is also tied for second in the league with 139 hits and tied for third with 79 RBIs. He has also contributed 29 doubles, four triples and 13 home runs while playing excellent defense behind the plate and guiding the Tourist pitching staff.
Robinson, who was selected as an outfielder on the SAL all-star team, is third on the circuit with a .311 batting average. He leads the SAL with 91 runs scored and 146 hits while ranking second with 42 steals. Robinson has added 32 doubles, five triples, three home runs and 35 RBIs to the Tourists' cause while doing a spectacular job of covering center field for manager Joe Mikulik's club.
The Southern Division pennant race returns to McCormick Field on Tuesday, September 1, at 7:05 p.m. when the Tourists open their final regular-season homestand, a three-game set against the Lexington Legends. Tickets for the three regular-season games as well as the South Atlantic League playoff are available at the McCormick Field box office. For more information, call the Tourists front office at (828) 258-0428.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 31, 2009
- Legends win final home game of 2009 - Lexington Legends
- Power take rubber match from Crawdads - West Virginia Power
- Suns score five straight to win - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Drive end August with one-run loss to Legends, 3-2 - Greenville Drive
- Crawdads edged 4-2 by Power - Hickory Crawdads
- Braves hold off Dogs, 2-0 - Rome Braves
- Delgado masters Charleston, 2-0 - Charleston RiverDogs
- Kannapolis loses again in Greensboro, 4-2 - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Gnats-GreenJackets Postponed - Savannah Sand Gnats
- Key break helps Jackets avoid sweep - Augusta GreenJackets
- Dusty Wathan and Anthony Gose on SAL All-Star Team - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Trio of RiverDogs Named to SAL Postseason All-Star Team - Charleston RiverDogs
- Luke Prihoda Named SAL Pitcher of the Week - Charleston RiverDogs
- GreenJackets Announce 2010 Home Opener - Augusta GreenJackets
- Mazzola Earns SAL All-Star Honors - Augusta GreenJackets
- South Atlantic League Announces 2009 Annual All-Star Team - SAL
- Morrison named to 2009 SAL Annual All-Star Team - Hickory Crawdads
- Aristil Goes the Distance: Tourists Win 7-0 - Asheville Tourists
- Tourists Pacheco, Robinson Honored By South Atlantic League - Asheville Tourists
- Hot Rods shut out in series finale with Asheville, 7-0 - Bowling Green Hot Rods
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.