Crawdads edged 4-2 by Power
Aug. 31, 2009 - FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Contact: Andrew Buchbinder, Director of Broadcasting/Media Relations email@example.com Front Office: (828) 322-3000 www.hickorycrawdads.com
CHARLESTON, WV - The Hickory Crawdads were edged, 4-2, by the West Virginia Power before 1,085 fans at Appalachian Power Park on Monday evening. For the second straight game, SS Andres James went 4-for-4, finishing the series a perfect 8-for-8.
The Power moved in front with an unearned run in the bottom of the first inning against RHP Joe Wieland. C Tony Sanchez drove in CF Starling Marte from second base with an RBI double to right-center field, cracking the scoreless tie and putting the Power ahead, 1-0.
The Crawdads came right back with a pair of runs in the top of the third inning to take a 2-1 lead against RHP Hunter Strickland. SS Andres James started the frame with an infield single and moved to second on a sacrifice bunt by 2B Mike Hollander. CF Jared Bolden then drew a walk, and both runners advanced on a ground out by C Vinny DiFazio. LF Cristian Santana then ripped a two-out infield single down the third base line that brought in both James and Bolden, giving the Crawdads the 2-1 lead.
West Virginia plated another unearned run against Wieland in the bottom of the fifth inning, tying the game at 2-2. Marte led off the inning with a triple to center field and scored on a throwing error on the play.
Marte struck again for the Power, cracking the 2-2 tie in the bottom of the seventh inning against RHP Fabio Castillo. SS Adenson Chourio got on base with a one-out single, stole second and took third on a throwing error on the play. Marte then brought him in with an RBI single up the middle, putting the Power ahead, 3-2. West Virginia then added an insurance run against RHP Cody Eppley in the bottom of the eighth. DH Calvin Anderson brought in 1B Kyle Morgan from third base on a grounder to short, making it 4-2.
The Crawdads got two runners on board with singles by 3B Matt West and James in the top of the ninth inning, but came up just short, falling by the final score of 4-2. Castillio was tagged with the loss for Hickory, while Erickson earned the win and RHP Noah Krol registered the save for West Virginia.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 31, 2009
- Legends win final home game of 2009 - Lexington Legends
- Power take rubber match from Crawdads - West Virginia Power
- Suns score five straight to win - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Drive end August with one-run loss to Legends, 3-2 - Greenville Drive
- Crawdads edged 4-2 by Power - Hickory Crawdads
- Braves hold off Dogs, 2-0 - Rome Braves
- Delgado masters Charleston, 2-0 - Charleston RiverDogs
- Kannapolis loses again in Greensboro, 4-2 - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Gnats-GreenJackets Postponed - Savannah Sand Gnats
- Key break helps Jackets avoid sweep - Augusta GreenJackets
- Dusty Wathan and Anthony Gose on SAL All-Star Team - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Trio of RiverDogs Named to SAL Postseason All-Star Team - Charleston RiverDogs
- Luke Prihoda Named SAL Pitcher of the Week - Charleston RiverDogs
- GreenJackets Announce 2010 Home Opener - Augusta GreenJackets
- Mazzola Earns SAL All-Star Honors - Augusta GreenJackets
- South Atlantic League Announces 2009 Annual All-Star Team - SAL
- Morrison named to 2009 SAL Annual All-Star Team - Hickory Crawdads
- Aristil Goes the Distance: Tourists Win 7-0 - Asheville Tourists
- Tourists Pacheco, Robinson Honored By South Atlantic League - Asheville Tourists
- Hot Rods shut out in series finale with Asheville, 7-0 - Bowling Green Hot Rods
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Hickory Crawdads Stories
- Barkley Promoted to Group Sales Executive
- Crawdads to Host Trunk-Or-Treat at the Ballpark
- Crawdads Announce Participation in 2019 MiLB Copa De La Diversion
- Minor League Teams Across Carolinas Unite for Storm Relief
- Great Smokies Shootout has Positive Economic Impact on the Community