Long Island Ends Three-Game Homestand with Loss to Greensboro
LONG ISLAND - The Long Island Nets (19-23), the NBA G League affiliate of the Brooklyn Nets, fell to the Greensboro Swarm (9-34) 116-98 tonight at NYCB LIVE, home of the Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum.
Long Island guard Devin Cannady finished the contest with a game-high 25 points on 11-of-16 shooting from the field to go along with three rebounds and two steals in 30 minutes off the bench.
Brooklyn Nets guard/forward Dzanan Musa, while on assignment with Long Island, finished with 20 points, nine rebounds, five assists and two steals in 31 minutes of action. Fellow Brooklyn assignee forward/center Nicolas Claxton finished with eight points on 4-of-7 shooting from the field and added eight rebounds, two steals and a block in 28 minutes of play.
Charlotte Hornets guard Dwayne Bacon, while on assignment with Greensboro, finished with a team-high 24 points, including 2-of-4 shooting from 3-point range, to go with 10 rebounds and three assists in 36 minutes of play, recording a double-double in the victory. Swarm forward KJ McDaniels finished the game with 17 points on 8-of-12 shooting from the field and added three rebounds, an assist, a steal and a block in 19 minutes off the bench.
The two teams got off to a back-and-forth start to open the game, with the Swarm holding a narrow 13-11 lead halfway through the first. The tight play continued through the remainder of the first, with Long Island taking a 29-27 lead into the second quarter.
The even play carried over into the second, with both teams tied at 38-38 midway through the quarter. Greensboro would begin to heat up after the midway point, taking a 55-49 lead to close out the first half.
Greensboro carried its strong play over into the third, extending the lead to 12 points with 5:48 remaining in the quarter. The Swarm would go on to outscore the Nets 31-24 in the quarter, taking an 86-73 lead into the fourth.
Long Island looked to battle its way back into the game in the final quarter, cutting the Greensboro lead to six points with 6:25 left to play. The Swarm would answer back, extending their lead to as many as 19 points with under a minute to play. Ultimately, the lead built by the Swarm in the third quarter was too much to overcome, as the Nets fell to Greensboro 116-98.
The Nets will hit the road to take on the Windy City Bulls next on Thursday, March 12, at 8 p.m. ET, while the Swarm will travel to Canton to take on the Charge next on Saturday, March 14, at 7 p.m. ET.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 8, 2020
- Legends Split Series with Clippers - Texas Legends
- Drive Drop Tough One to Mad Ants - Grand Rapids Drive
- Win over Legends Keeps Clips in Playoff Picture - Agua Caliente Clippers
- Fort Wayne Edges Grand Rapids in Closing Seconds, 105-103 - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Austin Spurs Defeat Oklahoma City Blue 117-114 - Austin Spurs
- Warriors Defeat Wolves, 115-112 - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Spellman's Triple-Double Not Enough in Home Loss to Warriors - Iowa Wolves
- Long Island Ends Three-Game Homestand with Loss to Greensboro - Long Island Nets
- Cavaliers Sign Sheldon Mac to 10-Day Contract - Canton Charge
- Blue Coats Fall to Magic, Magette at Home - Delaware Blue Coats
- Memphis Grizzlies Sign Jontay Porter - Memphis Hustle
- How Women Became Embedded in the Framework of Raptors 905 - Raptors 905
- Near Triple-Doubles Not Enough for Maine - Maine Red Claws
- Mokoka Leads Windy City to Tough Win over Maine, 120-112 - Windy City Bulls
- Stockton Kings Defeat South Bay Lakers, 126-118 - Stockton Kings
- South Bay Falls to Kings in Stockton - South Bay Lakers
- Hustle Fall in Sioux Falls, Drop Fourth Straight Game - Memphis Hustle
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Long Island Nets Stories
- Long Island Ends Three-Game Homestand with Loss to Greensboro
- Long Island Nets Fall to Lakeland Despite Second Half Comeback
- Long Island Nets to Host Nassau County AA Boys and Girls Basketball Championships this Sunday, March 8
- Long Island Nets Defeat Delaware for Third-Straight Victory
- Long Island Nets to Host Third-Annual Women's Empowerment Game, Presented by National Grid, this Wednesday, March 4