Mokoka Leads Windy City to Tough Win over Maine, 120-112
The Windy City Bulls, presented by BMO Harris Bank, the official G League affiliate of the Chicago Bulls, earned a 120-112 road win over the Maine Red Claws Sunday afternoon.
Windy City jumped out to an early 11-3 lead with Maine committing eight turnovers while the Bulls moved the ball well to knock down five three pointers as a team in the first quarter.
Adam Mokoka got off to a strong start with ten points and three rebounds to help Windy City hold the lead through most of the opening frame.
Mokoka's fellow Frenchman and Boston Celtics Assignment player Vincent Poirier gave the Red Claws a boost off the bench with seven points and seven rebounds to cut the Bulls' lead to 31-28 heading into the second quarter.
Maine exploited a height advantage down low to out-rebound Windy City 32-25 over the first 24 minutes as the Red Claws led heading into the break, 61-60.
It was a balanced scoring attack on both sides as four Bulls players finished the half in double-figures, compared to three for the Red Claws.
Mokoka led Windy City with 15 points, six rebounds and five assists. Justin Simon chipped in 12 points, six rebounds and four assists.
Contributing for Maine were Jaysean Paige with 12 points, six rebounds and four assists and former Windy City Bulls player Kaiser Gates with 11 points, three rebounds and one steal.
To counteract the size disadvantage in the paint, Windy City continued to fire and hit shots from beyond the arc in the second half, knocking down 14 threes as a team to carry a 92-88 lead into the fourth quarter.
The defensive intensity was present all afternoon for the Bulls, and carried into the final frame as well as Windy City converted 28 Red Claw turnovers into 34 points on the other end to close out a hard-fought road victory over one of the top teams in the G League.
Maine entered the contest with a full complement of NBA players in the lineup including Boston Celtics Two-Way players Tacko Fall and Tremont Waters, as well as Celtics Assignment players Poirier and Carsen Edwards.
Six Bulls players finished in double-figures led by Mokoka with 27 points on 5-for-8 from long range to go with nine rebounds and eight assists, and Daniel Dixon with 24 point on 7-for-14 from the field including five threes of his own. Simi Shittu finished with 21 points, seven rebounds and six steals.
Fall ended the game at a near triple-double for Maine with 16 points, 14 rebounds and nine blocks.
Windy City (17-25) will head home for the next two games as they host the Canton Charge on Tuesday night and the Long Island Nets on Thursday night at Sears Centre Arena.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 8, 2020
- Legends Split Series with Clippers - Texas Legends
- Drive Drop Tough One to Mad Ants - Grand Rapids Drive
- Win over Legends Keeps Clips in Playoff Picture - Agua Caliente Clippers
- Fort Wayne Edges Grand Rapids in Closing Seconds, 105-103 - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Austin Spurs Defeat Oklahoma City Blue 117-114 - Austin Spurs
- Warriors Defeat Wolves, 115-112 - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Spellman's Triple-Double Not Enough in Home Loss to Warriors - Iowa Wolves
- Long Island Ends Three-Game Homestand with Loss to Greensboro - Long Island Nets
- Cavaliers Sign Sheldon Mac to 10-Day Contract - Canton Charge
- Blue Coats Fall to Magic, Magette at Home - Delaware Blue Coats
- Memphis Grizzlies Sign Jontay Porter - Memphis Hustle
- How Women Became Embedded in the Framework of Raptors 905 - Raptors 905
- Near Triple-Doubles Not Enough for Maine - Maine Red Claws
- Mokoka Leads Windy City to Tough Win over Maine, 120-112 - Windy City Bulls
- Stockton Kings Defeat South Bay Lakers, 126-118 - Stockton Kings
- South Bay Falls to Kings in Stockton - South Bay Lakers
- Hustle Fall in Sioux Falls, Drop Fourth Straight Game - Memphis Hustle
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Windy City Bulls Stories
- Windy City Bulls Awarded the 2019-20 NBA G League's Promotion of the Year
- NBA G League Cancels Remainder of 2019-20 Season
- Windy City Bulls Virtual 5K to Benefit the Barn Senior Program of Schaumburg
- Windy City Bulls Player-Designed Shirt Sales to Benefit Local Food Pantry
- Mokoka Leads Windy City to Tough Win over Maine, 120-112