Warriors Defeat Wolves, 115-112
DES MOINES, Iowa - The Santa Cruz Warriors (21-21) defeated the Iowa Wolves (18-24) Sunday afternoon at Wells Fargo Arena, 115-112, in the final game of a three-game road trip.
Warriors guard Jonathon Simmons led all scorers with 26 points on 9-of-13 from the field, adding four rebounds and three steals. Fellow guard Andrew Harrison added 20 points, eight rebounds and seven assists, while guard Jeremy Pargo finished with 11 points and six assists in the Warriors victory.
Wolves guard Barry Brown led the team with 25 points and four assists and guard James Webb III finished with 19 points and seven rebounds off the bench. Omari Spellman, on assignment from the Minnesota Timberwolves, notched a triple-double with 18 points, 13 rebounds and 12 assists. He is the first player to record a triple-double against Santa Cruz since March 13, 2018, when JJ Avila posted 16 points, 13 rebounds and 10 assists for the Texas Legends.
The Warriors surged in front early, taking a 25-10 lead after forcing the Wolves to miss their first seven shots. Iowa went on an 13-0 run mid-way through the quarter, bringing the score to within one point to close out the quarter, 33-32. Jonathon Simmons finished the half with 12 points and two steals, helping the Warriors secure a 63-59 lead after 24 minutes.
The Wolves built an 89-75 lead with 4:18 to go in the third quarter, but Santa Cruz regained the lead with 8:18 remaining in the fourth. The Warriors led 110-103 with 2:06 remaining in the game before Iowa countered with a 7-0 run to tie it up with 46 seconds to go. Simmons hit three of four free throws down the stretch and Brown missed a game-tying 3-pointer with 10 seconds remaining, allowing the Sea Dubs to snap a three-game losing skid.
The Warriors, now a game behind the Sioux Falls Skyforce (22-20) for the final playoff spot in the Western Conference, head back to Kaiser Permanente Arena to host the Oklahoma City Blue (20-20) on March 12 at 7 p.m. The first 1,000 fans will receive a Hardwood Classics Blanket presented by Ticketmaster. For more information on the Santa Cruz Warriors 2019-20 NBA G League season, presented by Kaiser Permanente, visit santacruzbasketball.com or call (831) 713-4400.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 8, 2020
- Legends Split Series with Clippers - Texas Legends
- Drive Drop Tough One to Mad Ants - Grand Rapids Drive
- Win over Legends Keeps Clips in Playoff Picture - Agua Caliente Clippers
- Fort Wayne Edges Grand Rapids in Closing Seconds, 105-103 - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Austin Spurs Defeat Oklahoma City Blue 117-114 - Austin Spurs
- Warriors Defeat Wolves, 115-112 - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Spellman's Triple-Double Not Enough in Home Loss to Warriors - Iowa Wolves
- Long Island Ends Three-Game Homestand with Loss to Greensboro - Long Island Nets
- Cavaliers Sign Sheldon Mac to 10-Day Contract - Canton Charge
- Blue Coats Fall to Magic, Magette at Home - Delaware Blue Coats
- Memphis Grizzlies Sign Jontay Porter - Memphis Hustle
- How Women Became Embedded in the Framework of Raptors 905 - Raptors 905
- Near Triple-Doubles Not Enough for Maine - Maine Red Claws
- Mokoka Leads Windy City to Tough Win over Maine, 120-112 - Windy City Bulls
- Stockton Kings Defeat South Bay Lakers, 126-118 - Stockton Kings
- South Bay Falls to Kings in Stockton - South Bay Lakers
- Hustle Fall in Sioux Falls, Drop Fourth Straight Game - Memphis Hustle
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Santa Cruz Warriors Stories
- Recovery Resource Center at Kaiser Permanente Arena to Reduce Hours
- Kaiser Permanente Arena to Serve as Polling Site for 2020 General Election
- Kaiser Permanente Arena to Become Recovery Resource Center for Victims Affected by the Czu Lightning Complex Fire
- Santa Cruz Warriors Awarded 2019-20 NBA G League Social Responsibility/Youth Basketball Award for Sea Dub Classics Program
- Santa Cruz Warriors Raise over $5,000 for Community Foundation Santa Cruz County COVID-19 Local Response Fund