Drive Drop Tough One to Mad Ants
FORT WAYNE, IN - The Grand Rapids Drive (25-17) fell short to the Mad Ants (20-22) after a highly competitive, physical game that resulted in 12 lead changes and 11 ties, with a final score of 105-103.
Walt Lemon Jr. was an offensive force for the Mad Ants, tallying up 25 points and 8 assists along with the go-ahead basket with 16 seconds left. Pacers two-way player Brian Bowen II followed up with 20 points, 5 rebounds and 3 blocks. Other Mad Ants in double figures were Stephan Hicks (16 points, 6 rebounds & 3 steals), Ben Moore (15 points, 4 rebounds & 4 steals) and Daxter Miles Jr. (13 points, 4 rebounds & 2 steals).
Drive guard Tra-Deon Hollins, who used to suit up for the Mad Ants, commanded the floor for Grand Rapids this afternoon, racking up an impressive double-double with 20 points, 12 assists, 5 steals and 3 rebounds. Hollins got the start as Pistons two-way player Jordan Bone was up with Detroit for the weekend. Pistons assignee Donta Hall, currently on his second 10-day contract with Detroit, added 15 points, 8 rebounds and 2 blocks. Adam Woodbury, another former Mad Ant, contributed another solid double-double with 11 points and 13 rebounds, 7 coming on the offensive end. Other Drive players in double figures were Pistons two-way player Louis King (12 points & 3 rebounds), Khalil Iverson (12 points & 3 rebounds) and Dakarai Allen (11 points, 4 rebounds & 3 steals).
Trailing most of the first half, Grand Rapids mounted an impressive fourth quarter comeback and led by 8 points with just over 2 minutes to go. But missed free-throws and costly turnovers down the stretch were too much to overcome for the Eastern Conference's fourth-seeded Drive. Grand Rapids dominated the paint yet again, racking up 64 points compared to 40 for the Mad Ants. Additionally, the Drive's defense allowed the team to bring in 18 second chance points, topping the Mad Ants' 6 points, but the home team's tenacious defense allowed them to snag a steal on an inbound pass and run out the final seconds on the clock to claim the win.
The Drive and Mad Ants will see each other soon as they'll both head to Grand Rapids for a rematch on Wednesday, March 11th at DeltaPlex Arena. Tip-off is at 7 p.m. local time.
Highlights:Full Game >>> https://bit.ly/2VTFKVg
Box Score >>> https://on.nba.com/332RlmM
Standings >>> https://on.nba.com/2PXDN6m
Tra-Deon Hollins (20pts, 12ast & 5stl) >>> https://bit.ly/39Llr0F
Donta Hall (15pts, 8reb & 2blk) >>> https://bit.ly/39ARbp0
Khalil Iverson (12pts on 6-9 FGM) >>> https://bit.ly/2TBwKTs
Louis King (12pts) >>> https://bit.ly/2VXKlWO
Adam Woodbury (11pts & 13reb) >>> https://bit.ly/2W2gyfD
Dakarai Allen (11pts, 4reb & 3stl) >>> https://bit.ly/2Q0hI7g
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 8, 2020
- Legends Split Series with Clippers - Texas Legends
- Drive Drop Tough One to Mad Ants - Grand Rapids Drive
- Win over Legends Keeps Clips in Playoff Picture - Agua Caliente Clippers
- Fort Wayne Edges Grand Rapids in Closing Seconds, 105-103 - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Austin Spurs Defeat Oklahoma City Blue 117-114 - Austin Spurs
- Warriors Defeat Wolves, 115-112 - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Spellman's Triple-Double Not Enough in Home Loss to Warriors - Iowa Wolves
- Long Island Ends Three-Game Homestand with Loss to Greensboro - Long Island Nets
- Cavaliers Sign Sheldon Mac to 10-Day Contract - Canton Charge
- Blue Coats Fall to Magic, Magette at Home - Delaware Blue Coats
- Memphis Grizzlies Sign Jontay Porter - Memphis Hustle
- How Women Became Embedded in the Framework of Raptors 905 - Raptors 905
- Near Triple-Doubles Not Enough for Maine - Maine Red Claws
- Mokoka Leads Windy City to Tough Win over Maine, 120-112 - Windy City Bulls
- Stockton Kings Defeat South Bay Lakers, 126-118 - Stockton Kings
- South Bay Falls to Kings in Stockton - South Bay Lakers
- Hustle Fall in Sioux Falls, Drop Fourth Straight Game - Memphis Hustle
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.