Legends Split Series with Clippers
ONTARIO, CA - The Texas Legends (24-19) had their five-game win streak put to an end by the Agua Caliente Clippers (21-22) in a 117-111 finish in Ontario.
The two teams struggled through the first half, both hitting below a 40% clip. The Clippers opened the second quarter with a 13-2 run to take a 12-point advantage, but Texas responded immediately and continued chipping away at the lead. Dakota Mathias knocked down a three as the clock dwindled to give Texas a one-point edge at the break.
Agua Caliente regained control four minutes into the third and built another double-digit gap with two minutes to play. Texas opened the fourth facing a nine-point deficit, but a 12-2 run by the Clippers gave them their largest lead (+19) of the night. The double-digit gap proved too much for Texas who came within five but were unable to close in on the home team.
Cameron Payne neared another triple-double leading the Legends with 22 points, 8 rebounds, 10 assists, 3 steals, and a block. Antonius Cleveland also grabbed a double-double with 16 points, 11 rebounds, and 4 assists. Dakota Mathias finished with 17 points, 5 rebounds, and Aric Holman came off the bench for 14 points, 2 blocks. Josh Reaves and Jaylen Hoard added the final double-digit figures with 12 and 10 respectively.
Markel Crawford led the Clippers' scoring efforts with 24 off the bench while Mfiondu Kabengele tallied 18 points and a game-high 16 rebounds. Johnathan Motley put up 21 points, 5 rebounds, and 3 assists, and James Palmer Jr. tagged on 20 points, 6 rebounds.
The Legends return home for their final three-game homestand tipping off Friday against the Salt Lake City Stars at 7:30pm CT. For tickets or information call 214-469-0822 or visit www.TexLegends.com.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 8, 2020
- Legends Split Series with Clippers - Texas Legends
- Drive Drop Tough One to Mad Ants - Grand Rapids Drive
- Win over Legends Keeps Clips in Playoff Picture - Agua Caliente Clippers
- Fort Wayne Edges Grand Rapids in Closing Seconds, 105-103 - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Austin Spurs Defeat Oklahoma City Blue 117-114 - Austin Spurs
- Warriors Defeat Wolves, 115-112 - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Spellman's Triple-Double Not Enough in Home Loss to Warriors - Iowa Wolves
- Long Island Ends Three-Game Homestand with Loss to Greensboro - Long Island Nets
- Cavaliers Sign Sheldon Mac to 10-Day Contract - Canton Charge
- Blue Coats Fall to Magic, Magette at Home - Delaware Blue Coats
- Memphis Grizzlies Sign Jontay Porter - Memphis Hustle
- How Women Became Embedded in the Framework of Raptors 905 - Raptors 905
- Near Triple-Doubles Not Enough for Maine - Maine Red Claws
- Mokoka Leads Windy City to Tough Win over Maine, 120-112 - Windy City Bulls
- Stockton Kings Defeat South Bay Lakers, 126-118 - Stockton Kings
- South Bay Falls to Kings in Stockton - South Bay Lakers
- Hustle Fall in Sioux Falls, Drop Fourth Straight Game - Memphis Hustle
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Texas Legends Stories
- Legends Host Drive-Up COVID-19 Food Drive Presented by Kia
- Legends Launch Community Spotlight Series
- Matt Doherty Joins Legends for Virtual Pursuing Excellence Event
- Legends Host Virtual P.E. Classes for Local School Districts
- Legends Host First Ever Virtual Pursuing Excellence Event with Special Guest Houston Nutt