Lakers Take Down Squadron at Home, 123-109
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. - The Birmingham Squadron (1-4), NBA G League affiliate of the New Orleans Pelicans, was unable to keep up with the South Bay Lakers (3-2) in their Friday "Star Wars Night" matchup at the Legacy Arena, as the Lakers took the game 123-114.
The Squadron got off to a slow start, missing shots on nine scoring opportunities in a row (23 points) in the first quarter, giving South Bay an early lead. Birmingham kept it close for most of the game before allowing South Bay to pull away in the second half, leading by as many as 19 in the contest toward the end of the third quarter.
Despite the loss, the Squadron managed to finish with seven players scoring in double digits, led by Harper with 21 points. The lot also included Joe Young (16), John Petty Jr. (14), Ra'Shad James (12), Darius Adams (10), Riley LaChance (10) and Zach Hankins (10), who also posted his first double-double of the season with 11 rebounds, 9 of which were defensive.
Inside scoring seemed to be an emphasis for both teams as both the Squadron and Lakers put up 50+ points inside the paint, with the Lakers getting the 54-50 edge in that category. The Lakers also shot a very efficient clip from the field (.512), making 44 of 86 attempts on the night.
This Sunday, Jan. 23, the Birmingham Squadron will host Faith and Family Night as the team faces the Austin City Spurs at the BJCC Legacy Arena at 5:00 p.m. CT.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 22, 2022
- Stars Align for Vipers as Nix Drops 30 on Star Wars Night - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Vipers Sweep Two-Game Set against Stars - Salt Lake City Stars
- Windy City Drops Close One to Capital City - Windy City Bulls
- Swarm Drop Tight Battle with Blue Coats - Greensboro Swarm
- Santa Cruz Falls in Oklahoma City on Saturday Night, 117-113 - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Gold Snag Win against Fort Wayne in Final Seconds of the Fourth 124-122 - Grand Rapids Gold
- Maine Celtics Shatter Two Franchise Records in Blowout Win - Maine Celtics
- Capital City Claims T.J. Cline - Capital City Go-Go
- Charge Drop Pair to Raptors 905 - Cleveland Charge
- Wisconsin Herd Partners with United Airlines to Support Special Olympics Wisconsin - Wisconsin Herd
- New Orleans Pelicans Assign Naji Marshall and Trey Murphy III to Birmingham Squadron - Birmingham Squadron
- Carlik Jones Comes up Clutch in OT at OKC - Texas Legends
- Queen Fuels Vipers Past Stars - Salt Lake City Stars
- Queen Reaches Career High in Win against Salt Lake City Stars - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Spurs Take down Memphis, 114-107 - Austin Spurs
- Lakers Take Down Squadron at Home, 123-109 - Birmingham Squadron
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Birmingham Squadron Stories
- Birmingham Squadron Announces Six Priority Dates for 2022-23 Season
- Squadron Guard Jared Harper Earns All-NBA G League Third Team Honors
- Squadron Concludes Inaugural Season with Loss in Western Conference Quarterfinals
- Birmingham Squadron to Host Texas Legends in First Round of NBA G League Playoffs
- Squadron Secure Home Playoff Game with Fifth Straight Win