Swarm Drop Tight Battle with Blue Coats
(GREENSBORO, N.C.) - The Greensboro Swarm, the NBA G League affiliate of the Charlotte Hornets, dropped a competitive game 118-109 to the Delaware Blue Coats (Philadelphia 76ers affiliate) on Saturday at the Fieldhouse at the Greensboro Coliseum Complex. The Swarm (3-3) pulled within four points of the Blue Coats (4-2) multiple times late in the fourth but unfortunately 11-for-22 shooting from Delaware in the quarter hindered a the comeback attempt.
The Swarm had sensational performances from two Hornets players, James Bouknight and Kai Jones. Bouknight was aggressive on offense throughout and finished with 26 points, 11 rebounds and seven assists in 35 minutes. His double-double marks his first as a professional. Kai Jones' night was equally impressive, scoring 19 points and pulling down 16 rebounds in 33 minutes. His 16 boards are the most by a Swarm individual in a game this season.
Delaware shot 48 percent from the field and had four players with at least 20 points. Leading the way for the Blue Coats was Paul Reed with 25 points and 14 rebounds. Fellow starters Braxton Key and Jarron Cumberland each had 21 points, respectively. The leading scorer in the game came off the bench as Jared Brownridge shot 9-for-14, including eight 3-pointers, for 28 points in 27 minutes.
There was only one lead change in the game but the Swarm remained in striking distance throughout. Greensboro whittled down a double figure Blue Coats lead twice in the second half, which reinvigorated the crowd but timely responses from Brownridge and Cumberland always seemingly ensued.
Greensboro had three others score 10-plus points. Joe Chealey had a strong 17 points, four assists and three rebounds effort; Cameron McGriff chipped in 13 points and two steals; Jalen Crutcher continued his streak of success with 16 points and two steals and Scottie Lewis contributed 11 points and three blocks.
The two sides play again on Wednesday, January 27, at 7:00 p.m. ET. That contest will be in Delaware, the first of a four-game road trip for the Swarm.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 22, 2022
- Stars Align for Vipers as Nix Drops 30 on Star Wars Night - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Vipers Sweep Two-Game Set against Stars - Salt Lake City Stars
- Windy City Drops Close One to Capital City - Windy City Bulls
- Swarm Drop Tight Battle with Blue Coats - Greensboro Swarm
- Santa Cruz Falls in Oklahoma City on Saturday Night, 117-113 - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Gold Snag Win against Fort Wayne in Final Seconds of the Fourth 124-122 - Grand Rapids Gold
- Maine Celtics Shatter Two Franchise Records in Blowout Win - Maine Celtics
- Capital City Claims T.J. Cline - Capital City Go-Go
- Charge Drop Pair to Raptors 905 - Cleveland Charge
- Wisconsin Herd Partners with United Airlines to Support Special Olympics Wisconsin - Wisconsin Herd
- New Orleans Pelicans Assign Naji Marshall and Trey Murphy III to Birmingham Squadron - Birmingham Squadron
- Carlik Jones Comes up Clutch in OT at OKC - Texas Legends
- Queen Fuels Vipers Past Stars - Salt Lake City Stars
- Queen Reaches Career High in Win against Salt Lake City Stars - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Spurs Take down Memphis, 114-107 - Austin Spurs
- Lakers Take Down Squadron at Home, 123-109 - Birmingham Squadron
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.