LAFC Defeats Real Salt Lake 3-0 to Advance in Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup
The Los Angeles Football Club (LAFC) advanced to the Round of 16 in the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup with a 3-0 win over Real Salt Lake on Tuesday night at Rio Tinto Stadium in Sandy, UT.
MLS MVP candidate Carlos Vela started the scoring for LAFC in the 8th minute off a beautiful pass from Eduard Atuesta, and Lee Nguyen and Adama Diomande added second half goals to help the Black & Gold to the fourth Open Cup win in Club history.
Pablo Sisniega made his debut for LAFC in goal and made several key saves, including a tough block on a Tate Schmitt close-range shot moments before Nguyen put LAFC ahead 2-0 in the 64th minute. Diomande scored off a rebound from Fito Zelaya's free kick in the 93rd minute to finish the scoring, and ensure that the top team in MLS would remain unbeaten in its last nine matches in all competitions.
The oldest, longest-running national competition in the country, the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup was founded in 1914 and features clubs from all divisions and leagues of American soccer. LAFC will find out its opponent for the next round of the Open Cup on Thursday.
LAFC returns to league play on Friday, June 28 on the road against the Colorado Rapids at 7:00 p.m. PT at DICK's Sporting Goods Park (UniMás, ESPN 710 AM, KFWB 980 AM).
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 12, 2019
- Kekuta Manneh's goal in extra time powers Orange and Blue into fifth round of U.S. Open Cup - FC Cincinnati
- D.C. United Beat Philadelphia 2-1 in Extra Time in the U.S. Open Cup - D.C. United
- Orlando City Advances to U.S. Open Cup Round of 16 with 3-1 Win at Memphis - Orlando City SC
- FC Dallas Defeats OKC Energy FC 4-0 - FC Dallas
- Sporting Exits Open Cup in Loss to Minnesota - Sporting Kansas City
- Notes & Quotes: New York City FC 4 - 0 North Carolina FC - New York City FC
- Orlando City SC Loans Josue Colman to Cerro Porteno - Orlando City SC
- Tour Aguila Returns to Texas with the Mexico City Derby - FC Dallas
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. Portland Timbers (Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup) - June 12, 2019 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Atlanta United-Charleston Battery Fourth Round U.S. Open Cup Match Rescheduled for June 13 - Atlanta United FC
- Philadelphia Union's Mark McKenzie to Return as Ambassador for Future Soccer Stars Foundation PlayDay - Philadelphia Union
- By the Numbers: Open Cup 2019 - Orlando City SC
- #FCDvOKC: 5Things You Need to Know About the Match - FC Dallas
- Sounders FC Signs Six Tacoma Defiance Players to Short-Term Agreements - Seattle Sounders FC
- ACF Fiorentina Replaces AS Roma in 2019 International Champions Cup - New York Red Bulls
- Real Salt Lake Hires Tom Spall as Academy Director - Real Salt Lake
- FC Dallas Loans Francis Atuahene, Ema Twumasi to Austin Bold FC - FC Dallas
- Real Salt Lake Drops 3-0 Result to LAFC in U.S. Open Cup - Real Salt Lake
- LAFC Defeats Real Salt Lake 3-0 to Advance in Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup - Los Angeles FC
- Vako scores twice, including game-winner, as San Jose advances to Fifth Round - San Jose Earthquakes
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Falls 2-1 to Saint Louis FC in Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup - Chicago Fire
- Postgame Notes: Houston Dynamo 3-2 Austin Bold FC (U.S. Open Cup Fourth Round) - Houston Dynamo
- Red Bulls Drop out of Open Cup, Fall to New England, 3-2 in OT - New York Red Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Los Angeles FC Stories
- LAFC Foundation Partners with the American Heart Association's 'Teaching Gardens' Nutrition Program
- LAFC Forward Carlos Vela Named 2019 Landon Donovan MLS MVP
- LAFC and Kaiser Permanente Celebrate Initiative to Refurbish Futsal Courts Across Los Angeles
- LAFC Eliminated from Playoffs After Falling 3-1 to Seattle Sounders FC
- LAFC Fans Encouraged to Bring Donations for Firefighters and Victims of Los Angeles Wildfires