Notes & Quotes: New York City FC 4 - 0 North Carolina FC
New York City FC 4 - 0 North Carolina FC
Wednesday, June 12, 2019
Belson Stadium - Queens, NY
2019 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup - Fourth Round
New York City FC: Brad Stuver; Juan Pablo Torres, Sebastien Ibeagha, Anton Tinnerholm, Tony Rocha; Justin Haak, Daniel Bedoya (80' Alexandru MitriÈÄ), Keaton Parks; Valentin Castellanos, Maxi Moralez (90'+2' Héber), Jesus Medina (90' Ismael Tajouri-Shradi)
SUBS UNUSED: Luis Barraza
North Carolina FC: Alex Tambakis; Aaron Guillen, Sam Brotherton (46' Caleb Duvernay), Alexander Comsia, D.J. Taylor; Graham Smith, Nazmi Albadawi, Steven Miller (61' Yamikani Chester), Andre Fortune (79' Austin Panchot), Ben Speas; Ulrich Ewolo
SUBS UNUSED: Trace Alphin, Timmy Mehl, Viktor Igbekoyi, Robert Kristo
25' - NYC - Aaron Guillen (Own Goal)
45'+2' - NYC - Jesus Medina (Assisted by: Tony Rocha)
52' - NYC - Keaton Parks (Assisted by: Juan Pablo Torres)
76' - NYC - Keaton Parks (Assisted by: Maxi Moralez)
41' - NYC - Daniel Bedoya (YC - Unsporting Behavior)
62' - NCFC - Graham Smith (YC - Unsporting Behavior)
66' - NYC- Justin Haak (YC - Unsporting Behavior)
Full Match Statistics: click here
New York City FC headed to Belson Stadium on the campus of St. John's University for the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup to take on North Carolina FC.
The U.S. Open Cup, a single-elimination tournament, provided an opportunity for the younger members of the team to shine through and show the coach what they have to offer.
For the matchup, Dome Torrent looked upon Justin Haak, Keaton Parks, Juan Pablo Torres, and Daniel Bedoya to start for the club. A big night for the young Boys in Blue as Torres and Bedoya made their debuts in City blue, while Parks and Haak earned their first starts.
Brad Stuver was back in net for the Club and, veteran, Maxi Moralez was serving as captain for the night.
NYCFC kicked off the night early in the 4' minute with Bedoya crossing the ball to Valentín Castellanos to make a play, but Castellanos was caught offside.
On the other side of the ball North Carolina FC created a chance on goal in the 15' minute, luckily for City the shot was too wide.
The first goal of the night came in the 25' minute, as the Boys in Blue pushed the ball forward in back-to-back attempts from Castellanos and Medina, but weren't able to put the ball in the net. Thanks to a deflection off NCFC's Aaron Guillén, NYCFC was on the board 1-0.
The next shot from Castellanos came in the 32' minute which went straight into the arms of NCFC keeper, Alex Tambakis.
Right before the halftime whistle, Tony Rocha played the ball into the feet of Jesus Medina who finished calmly for his first goal of the season.
NYCFC retired to the locker room up 2-0 at halftime.
The young duo, Torres and Parks went to work in the 52' minute as Torres crossed the ball to Parks who headed it into the back of the net for his first goal in City blue. First start and first goal in the same game, what a night!
Parks wasn't done there.... His second goal for NYCFC came in the 76' minute. On a play where Castellanos broke through the NCFC defense and played the ball across the pitch to Moralez who found Parks to add onto the lead, putting NYCFC up 4-0.
Stuver came up big for NYCFC time and time again in the match, he maintained a clean sheet on a save in added time to seal the shutout win.
NYCFC advanced to the fifth round of the U.S. Open Cup for the first time, in a big night for the young players who put their skills and talent on display,
NYCFC HEAD COACH DOMÈNEC TORRENT
On today's game...
I'm really happy, especially because it is not easy for the fans. It is important because we are stronger with them. I want to thank our supporters, it is not easy, because it is Wednesday 7pm. It is important for the club because they told me this is our first time moving onto the next round. I'm going to try to win the next game, if we're lucky we'll win the trophy."
On the new players getting into the rhythm of the game early...
"The team is in top form right now and when that happens it's easier for the rest of the players to play. They have quality to play, I don't have any doubt about that. It's not a surprise for me that Keaton, and even Justin. When I decided to play with Justin, it's not because I want to show our fans that we have a new player. It's because he deserved to play...It's not about Justin, Keaton played amazing and Danny."
NYCFC MIDFIELDER KEATON PARKS
On making the most of his opportunity to play...
"It felt good to get a full 90 under me, and to get the win of course. It felt good to get two goals, I'm just taking advantage of any opportunity that I get. Tonight, was a huge opportunity for me, and the team and we showed it."
On maintaining this streak of good results...
"We work hard every day in training, and we have a lot of chemistry within the team. We have a lot of good friendships in the locker room, so the chemistry is there. It's just about giving us the opportunity. Sometimes it's hard, but for the [U.S. Open] Cup tonight and the game, we did what we had to do."
NYCFC DEFENDER JUAN PABLO TORRES
On today's game and playing in the back...
"[I knew] that I was going to play that position going into the game, so I just tried to prepare as best as possible. I've been training there for maybe two weeks, so I just tried to use what I learned in training. Some of the guys on the team helped me out giving me advice on how to play that position. It was definitely new, but I didn't feel too uncomfortable."
NYCFC MIDFIELDER DANIEL BEDOYA
On the occasion of making his debut in his former home stadium...
"It's special being here in my hometown. At the end of the day it's not about me, that I'm here and I went to St. Johns. It's about the team and it's about getting that first win."
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 12, 2019
- Kekuta Manneh's goal in extra time powers Orange and Blue into fifth round of U.S. Open Cup - FC Cincinnati
- D.C. United Beat Philadelphia 2-1 in Extra Time in the U.S. Open Cup - D.C. United
- Orlando City Advances to U.S. Open Cup Round of 16 with 3-1 Win at Memphis - Orlando City SC
- FC Dallas Defeats OKC Energy FC 4-0 - FC Dallas
- Sporting Exits Open Cup in Loss to Minnesota - Sporting Kansas City
- Notes & Quotes: New York City FC 4 - 0 North Carolina FC - New York City FC
- Orlando City SC Loans Josue Colman to Cerro Porteno - Orlando City SC
- Tour Aguila Returns to Texas with the Mexico City Derby - FC Dallas
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. Portland Timbers (Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup) - June 12, 2019 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Atlanta United-Charleston Battery Fourth Round U.S. Open Cup Match Rescheduled for June 13 - Atlanta United FC
- Philadelphia Union's Mark McKenzie to Return as Ambassador for Future Soccer Stars Foundation PlayDay - Philadelphia Union
- By the Numbers: Open Cup 2019 - Orlando City SC
- #FCDvOKC: 5Things You Need to Know About the Match - FC Dallas
- Sounders FC Signs Six Tacoma Defiance Players to Short-Term Agreements - Seattle Sounders FC
- ACF Fiorentina Replaces AS Roma in 2019 International Champions Cup - New York Red Bulls
- Real Salt Lake Hires Tom Spall as Academy Director - Real Salt Lake
- FC Dallas Loans Francis Atuahene, Ema Twumasi to Austin Bold FC - FC Dallas
- Real Salt Lake Drops 3-0 Result to LAFC in U.S. Open Cup - Real Salt Lake
- LAFC Defeats Real Salt Lake 3-0 to Advance in Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup - Los Angeles FC
- Vako scores twice, including game-winner, as San Jose advances to Fifth Round - San Jose Earthquakes
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Falls 2-1 to Saint Louis FC in Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup - Chicago Fire
- Postgame Notes: Houston Dynamo 3-2 Austin Bold FC (U.S. Open Cup Fourth Round) - Houston Dynamo
- Red Bulls Drop out of Open Cup, Fall to New England, 3-2 in OT - New York Red Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York City FC Stories
- New York City FC to Begin Voluntary Individual Outdoor Workouts in Accordance with MLS and New York State Guidelines
- New York City FC and the YES Network Debut "NYCFC - Home For The City" Special this Friday, May 1 on YES
- Health and Well Wishes from NYCFC
- New York City FC Sporting Department Confirms First Case of COVID-19
- MLS Announces Further Postponement