By the Numbers: Open Cup 2019
5 - Open Cup wins in MLS
Since joining MLS in 2015, Orlando City have a 5-4 all-time record in the US Open Cup. The Lions have won their opening round game in every US Open Cup except 2017, leaving them with a 7-1 record in openers. This includes Orlando's time in USL, in which the Lions were 8-4 in the tournament.
2-0 - Record in shootouts
Orlando have been in two penalty kick shootouts in the USOC, winning both of them. Orlando out-lasted Charleston 9-8 in 2015, with little-used Danny Mwanga hitting the winner. The Lions then eased past DC United last season, with Earl Edwards Jr. saving attempts from Luciano Acosta and Yamil Asad.
3 - Total quarterfinal appearances
Orlando first reached the quarterfinals of the US Open Cup as a USL side in 2013, when they knocked off the Colorado Rapids and then dramatically defeated Sporting Kansas City on the road. The Lions have twice made the final eight as an MLS team. The 2015 side saw off Charleston Battery on penalties after a wild 4-4 affair, then took out the Columbus Crew before falling in Chicago. 2018's Lions crushed NPSL side Miami United FC, then beat DC United on penalties only to fall 1-0 in Philadelphia. Orlando have never reached the US Open Cup semifinals.
47 - US Open Cup goals
Orlando City have scored 47 goals across just 21 games in eight US Open Cups. 33 of the goals came in the USL years, with the Lions routinely clobbering small sides like ASC New Stars (4-0), KC Athletics (7-0), and Ocala Stampede (4-1).
8-4 - O'Connor USOC record
James O'Connor has had major success as a head coach in the US Open Cup. His Louisville City sides were 8-3 in his time on the sidelines, including an unprecedented four wins in 2018. O'Connor took charge of Orlando for the 1-0 loss to Philadelphia last year, and will be looking for his first win as a coach for the Lions (he participated in many of Orlando's USL wins as a player). The gaffer has never lost his opening match of the tournament.
1.5 - FAIRWINDS Credit Union
Score up to 1.5% cash back and LionNation points when you use your FAIRWINDS Orlando City Visa® or Orlando Pride Visa® on game day purchases and everyday essentials. Apply today and get purple carded.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 12, 2019
- Kekuta Manneh's goal in extra time powers Orange and Blue into fifth round of U.S. Open Cup - FC Cincinnati
- D.C. United Beat Philadelphia 2-1 in Extra Time in the U.S. Open Cup - D.C. United
- Orlando City Advances to U.S. Open Cup Round of 16 with 3-1 Win at Memphis - Orlando City SC
- FC Dallas Defeats OKC Energy FC 4-0 - FC Dallas
- Sporting Exits Open Cup in Loss to Minnesota - Sporting Kansas City
- Notes & Quotes: New York City FC 4 - 0 North Carolina FC - New York City FC
- Orlando City SC Loans Josue Colman to Cerro Porteno - Orlando City SC
- Tour Aguila Returns to Texas with the Mexico City Derby - FC Dallas
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. Portland Timbers (Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup) - June 12, 2019 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Atlanta United-Charleston Battery Fourth Round U.S. Open Cup Match Rescheduled for June 13 - Atlanta United FC
- Philadelphia Union's Mark McKenzie to Return as Ambassador for Future Soccer Stars Foundation PlayDay - Philadelphia Union
- By the Numbers: Open Cup 2019 - Orlando City SC
- #FCDvOKC: 5Things You Need to Know About the Match - FC Dallas
- Sounders FC Signs Six Tacoma Defiance Players to Short-Term Agreements - Seattle Sounders FC
- ACF Fiorentina Replaces AS Roma in 2019 International Champions Cup - New York Red Bulls
- Real Salt Lake Hires Tom Spall as Academy Director - Real Salt Lake
- FC Dallas Loans Francis Atuahene, Ema Twumasi to Austin Bold FC - FC Dallas
- Real Salt Lake Drops 3-0 Result to LAFC in U.S. Open Cup - Real Salt Lake
- LAFC Defeats Real Salt Lake 3-0 to Advance in Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup - Los Angeles FC
- Vako scores twice, including game-winner, as San Jose advances to Fifth Round - San Jose Earthquakes
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Falls 2-1 to Saint Louis FC in Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup - Chicago Fire
- Postgame Notes: Houston Dynamo 3-2 Austin Bold FC (U.S. Open Cup Fourth Round) - Houston Dynamo
- Red Bulls Drop out of Open Cup, Fall to New England, 3-2 in OT - New York Red Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.