ACF Fiorentina Replaces AS Roma in 2019 International Champions Cup
NEW YORK - Relevent Sports Group (RSG) announced today that ACF Fiorentina will participate in the 2019 International Champions Cup (ICC), the premier summer club soccer tournament. The announcement comes less than a week after Italian-American businessman Rocco Commisso completed the purchase of the historic Italian club. ACF Fiorentina replaces AS Roma, who withdrew from the tournament due to UEFA Europa League Qualifier obligations.
Fiorentina will play in three matches across the United States. The team's schedule includes:
Tuesday, July 16 - ACF Fiorentina vs Chivas de Guadalajara - SeatGeek Stadium, Bridgeview, IL
Saturday, July 20 - Arsenal vs ACF Fiorentina - Bank of America Stadium, Charlotte, NC
Wednesday, July 24 - ACF Fiorentina vs Benfica - Red Bull Arena, Harrison, NJ
"As a proud Italian American, I can think of no better way to introduce myself as the new owner of ACF Fiorentina than to play in the International Champions Cup," said ACF Fiorentina's President, Rocco B. Commisso. "I am especially excited for Fiorentina's match on July 24th in Harrison, NJ, as the New York metropolitan area is where I grew up, played soccer, founded my cable company, Mediacom Communications, and continue to live today."
ACF Fiorentina, also known as La Viola (The Purple One), is a legendary Italian club with a rich history in Serie A. Regarded as one of the top clubs in Italian football, a group affectionally known as the "Seven Sisters," ACF Fiorentina has won both Italian and European championships. ACF Fiorentina is one of the fourteen European teams that played the finals in all three major continental competitions including the Champions League, the UEFA Cup Winners and the UEFA Cup.
"Rocco Commisso has given the ACF Fiorentina fans an idea of the type of owner he will be; bold, ambitious, and focused on success," said RSG Executive Chairman Charlie Stillitano. "With AS Roma needing to step away, Commisso jumped at the opportunity to have his club play three great matchups this summer and we can't wait to welcome them back on America soil."
On June 6, the club announced that Rocco Commisso, Italian American chairman of Mediacom, is its new owner. ACF Fiorentina's participation in the ICC is one of the first actions Commisso took in his new reign over the club.
AS Roma has been a long-time participant in the ICC but was forced to withdraw due to UEFA Europa League Qualifier obligations.
"We were delighted to once again receive the invitation from the ICC to play in the tournament, and were very much looking forward to participating," said AS Roma Chief Executive Guido Fienga. "We looked at every available option in order to avoid withdrawing, however, in the end the decision had to be made in light of next season's commitments. I apologize to all the fans hoping to come and watch us this summer. We share your disappointment, but I want to assure you all that we will return soon."
Fans who had bought tickets for any of the matches involving AS Roma will be able to retain their tickets for the matches involving Fiorentina or request a refund within the next 14 days.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 12, 2019
- Kekuta Manneh's goal in extra time powers Orange and Blue into fifth round of U.S. Open Cup - FC Cincinnati
- D.C. United Beat Philadelphia 2-1 in Extra Time in the U.S. Open Cup - D.C. United
- Orlando City Advances to U.S. Open Cup Round of 16 with 3-1 Win at Memphis - Orlando City SC
- FC Dallas Defeats OKC Energy FC 4-0 - FC Dallas
- Sporting Exits Open Cup in Loss to Minnesota - Sporting Kansas City
- Notes & Quotes: New York City FC 4 - 0 North Carolina FC - New York City FC
- Orlando City SC Loans Josue Colman to Cerro Porteno - Orlando City SC
- Tour Aguila Returns to Texas with the Mexico City Derby - FC Dallas
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. Portland Timbers (Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup) - June 12, 2019 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Atlanta United-Charleston Battery Fourth Round U.S. Open Cup Match Rescheduled for June 13 - Atlanta United FC
- Philadelphia Union's Mark McKenzie to Return as Ambassador for Future Soccer Stars Foundation PlayDay - Philadelphia Union
- By the Numbers: Open Cup 2019 - Orlando City SC
- #FCDvOKC: 5Things You Need to Know About the Match - FC Dallas
- Sounders FC Signs Six Tacoma Defiance Players to Short-Term Agreements - Seattle Sounders FC
- ACF Fiorentina Replaces AS Roma in 2019 International Champions Cup - New York Red Bulls
- Real Salt Lake Hires Tom Spall as Academy Director - Real Salt Lake
- FC Dallas Loans Francis Atuahene, Ema Twumasi to Austin Bold FC - FC Dallas
- Real Salt Lake Drops 3-0 Result to LAFC in U.S. Open Cup - Real Salt Lake
- LAFC Defeats Real Salt Lake 3-0 to Advance in Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup - Los Angeles FC
- Vako scores twice, including game-winner, as San Jose advances to Fifth Round - San Jose Earthquakes
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Falls 2-1 to Saint Louis FC in Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup - Chicago Fire
- Postgame Notes: Houston Dynamo 3-2 Austin Bold FC (U.S. Open Cup Fourth Round) - Houston Dynamo
- Red Bulls Drop out of Open Cup, Fall to New England, 3-2 in OT - New York Red Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Red Bulls Stories
- New York Red Bulls Open MLS Season at Home on March 1
- New York Red Bulls Select Kendall McIntosh in 2019 MLS Re-Entry Draft
- New York Red Bulls Announce End of Year Roster Decisions
- New York Red Bulls and Sky Blue FC Announce New Partnership
- New York Red Bulls Announce 2019 Team Awards