D.C. United Beat Philadelphia 2-1 in Extra Time in the U.S. Open Cup
?U.S. Open Cup
2019 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup - Fourth Round
June 12, 2019 - Washington, D.C., Audi Field
Joseph Mora returned to the starting lineup for the first time since suffering an injury against Orlando City SC on March 31.
Paul Arriola and Júnior Moreno were unavailable due to international duty for USMNT and Venezuela, respectively.
Midfielder Antonio Bustamante and goalkeeper Christopher Seitz made their competitive debuts for the Black-and-Red.
Chris McCann scored his first goal for the Black-and-Red in the 118th minute of extra time.
Wayne Rooney scored a goal and recorded an assist in extra time to give D.C. United a 2-1 victory.
The Black-and-Red are now 3-2-0 against the Philadelphia Union in the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup
D.C. United have won three Lamar Hunt Open Cups in club history (1996, 2008, 2013).
The Black-and-Red are unbeaten in their last five matches at Audi Field.
D.C. United now have a record of 40-17-0 in the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup.
This was the first ever Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup match at Audi Field.
Goals by Half
D.C. United Lineup: Christopher Seitz; Joseph Mora (Chris McCann, 97'), Steven Birnbaum, Frédéric Brillant, Jalen Robinson (Quincy Amarikwa, 90'); Antonio Bustamante (Griffin Yow, 73'), Leonardo Jara, Ulises Segura, Lucas Rodríguez, Luciano Acosta; Wayne Rooney
Unused Substitutes: Earl Edwards Jr., Noah Pilato
Manager: Ben Olsen
Philadelphia Union's Lineup: Matt Freese; Fabio Alves Macedo (Matthew Real, 90'), Aurelien Colin, Olivier Mbaizo (Raymon Gaddis, 98'), Mark McKenzie; Haris Medunjanin, Alejandro Bedoya, Ilsinho, Jamiro Alvarenga; Fafa Picault (Zachary Zandi, 100'), Sergio Santos (Anthony Fontana, 109')
Unused Substitutes: Carlos Miguel Coronel, Benjamin Ofeimu, Issa Rayyan
Manager: Jim Curtin
REF: Marcos DeOliveira
AR1: Jeffrey Skinner
AR2: Jonah Kind
4TH: JC Griggs
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 12, 2019
- Kekuta Manneh's goal in extra time powers Orange and Blue into fifth round of U.S. Open Cup - FC Cincinnati
- D.C. United Beat Philadelphia 2-1 in Extra Time in the U.S. Open Cup - D.C. United
- Orlando City Advances to U.S. Open Cup Round of 16 with 3-1 Win at Memphis - Orlando City SC
- FC Dallas Defeats OKC Energy FC 4-0 - FC Dallas
- Sporting Exits Open Cup in Loss to Minnesota - Sporting Kansas City
- Notes & Quotes: New York City FC 4 - 0 North Carolina FC - New York City FC
- Orlando City SC Loans Josue Colman to Cerro Porteno - Orlando City SC
- Tour Aguila Returns to Texas with the Mexico City Derby - FC Dallas
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. Portland Timbers (Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup) - June 12, 2019 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Atlanta United-Charleston Battery Fourth Round U.S. Open Cup Match Rescheduled for June 13 - Atlanta United FC
- Philadelphia Union's Mark McKenzie to Return as Ambassador for Future Soccer Stars Foundation PlayDay - Philadelphia Union
- By the Numbers: Open Cup 2019 - Orlando City SC
- #FCDvOKC: 5Things You Need to Know About the Match - FC Dallas
- Sounders FC Signs Six Tacoma Defiance Players to Short-Term Agreements - Seattle Sounders FC
- ACF Fiorentina Replaces AS Roma in 2019 International Champions Cup - New York Red Bulls
- Real Salt Lake Hires Tom Spall as Academy Director - Real Salt Lake
- FC Dallas Loans Francis Atuahene, Ema Twumasi to Austin Bold FC - FC Dallas
- Real Salt Lake Drops 3-0 Result to LAFC in U.S. Open Cup - Real Salt Lake
- LAFC Defeats Real Salt Lake 3-0 to Advance in Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup - Los Angeles FC
- Vako scores twice, including game-winner, as San Jose advances to Fifth Round - San Jose Earthquakes
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Falls 2-1 to Saint Louis FC in Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup - Chicago Fire
- Postgame Notes: Houston Dynamo 3-2 Austin Bold FC (U.S. Open Cup Fourth Round) - Houston Dynamo
- Red Bulls Drop out of Open Cup, Fall to New England, 3-2 in OT - New York Red Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent D.C. United Stories
- D.C. United Announce Postseason Tour Presented by Events DC in St. Croix in the U.S. Virgin Islands
- Paul Arriola Called into USMNT Pre-Camp from November 2-9 in Bradenton, Fla., Ahead of CONCACAF Nations League Group Finale
- Post-Match Facts: Toronto FC V. D.C. United
- Griffin Yow Named in World Cup Squad for U.S. U-17 Boys' National Team
- Arriola, Moreno and Rodriguez on International Duty Ahead of Audi 2019 MLS Cup Playoff Match