Postgame Notes: Houston Dynamo 3-2 Austin Bold FC (U.S. Open Cup Fourth Round)
Houston Dynamo 3-2 Austin Bold FC
Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup - Fourth Round
Tuesday, June 11, 2019
Advanced the Dynamo to the Round of 16 in the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup for the fifth consecutive season.
Was Houston's sixth consecutive win in the tournament.
Improved Houston's all-time record in the Open Cup to 18-12 overall.
Improved Houston's record at home in the Open Cup to 14-5 all-time.
Was Houston's first win against Austin Bold FC.
Improved Houston to 3-0 in the Open Cup against teams from Austin. The Dynamo defeated the Austin Aztex in 2009 and 2015.
Improved Houston's record against Texas-based teams in the Open Cup to 5-4 all-time.
Improved Houston's record in all competitions this season to 10-5-3.
The Dynamo led Austin Bold FC 3-0 at halftime. In all competitions, it was the sixth time this year that Houston held the lead at intermission, and they are now 5-0-1 in those games.
The Dynamo scored the first goal of the game. Across all competitions, it was the eighth time this year that Houston scored the game's first goal and they are now 6-0-1 in those games.
The Dynamo led 3-2 at the 75-minute mark. It was the eighth game this year in which they led after 75 minutes, and they are now 7-0-1 in those contests.
The Dynamo won for the first time this year when conceding more than one goal.
Austin Bold FC outshot the Dynamo 17-9. Across all competitions, it was the ninth time this season that Houston were outshot by their opponent, and they improved to 5-3-1 in those contests.
Houston controlled possession in the match, holding the ball for 54.2 percent of the contest. It was the ninth time this year that the Dynamo had more of the ball than their opponent, and they improved to 6-1-2 in those matches.
DYNAMO STARTING XI (4-3-3):
Tyler Deric; DaMarcus Beasley (C), Alejandro Fuenmayor, Kevin Garcia, Chris Duvall; Juan David Cabezas, Matías Vera, Tomás Martínez; Tommy McNamara, Ronaldo Peña, Marlon Hairston
INDIVIDUAL PLAYER NOTES:
MF Tomás Martínez scored his 10th goal for the club across all competitions when he banged in the opener in the 14th minute with a left-footed strike.
Martínez recorded his first assist in the Open Cup and his 16th with the club in all competitions when he teed up FW Ronaldo Peña for Houston's second goal in the 31st minute.
Martínez started his 66th career game and his 58th career start in all competitions, and his fifth appearance and fourth start in the Open Cup.
Martínez made his 16th appearance of the year and his 15th start of the season across all competitions.
FW Ronaldo Peña scored his first goal of the year when he fired a right-footed shot into the roof of the net in the 31st minute. It was his second career goal for the club across all competitions.
Peña recorded his first assist with the club when he set up MF Matías Vera for Houston's third goal in the 40th minute.
Peña made his second start of the year for the club, and his first since Feb. 26 vs. CD Guastatoya in the Concacaf Champions League.
Peña made his 11th career appearance for the team in all competition and his fourth start.
MF Matías Vera scored his first goal for the Dynamo when he broke through off of a give-and-go with FW Ronaldo Peña and scored in the 40th minute.
Vera made his 17th start in 18 matches for the Dynamo across all competitions this year and made his debut in the Open Cup.
DF DaMarcus Beasley made his 127th career appearance in all competitions tonight and made his fourth appearance in the Open Cup with Houston.
Beasley made his seventh start for the team in all competitions this season.
MF Eric Bird made his season debut for the Dynamo when he came in for FW Marlon Hairston in the 81st minute.
MF Juan David Cabezas started his second career Open Cup game - he also started and played all 90 minutes in the 2018 Open Cup Final. For the season, it was the Colombian's seventh appearance and second start in all competitions. Tonight marked his first start since the first match of the year at CD Guastatoya in the Concacaf Champions League on Feb. 19.
GK Tyler Deric made his first appearance for the Dynamo in the 2019 season. It was his fifth career appearance in the Open Cup and his 83rd career start for the club in all competitions.
DF Chris Duvall made his Houston Dynamo debut tonight.
DF Alejandro Fuenmayor made his sixth appearance and sixth start in all competitions this season. For his Dynamo career, it was the Venezuelan's 30th career appearance and 29th start in all competitions and his fifth start in the Open Cup.
MF Boniek García made his 17th appearance for the Dynamo in 2019 when he came on for MF Matías Vera at the beginning of the second half. It was García's 209th career appearance for the club in all competitions.
DF Kevin Garcia made his seventh appearance for the Dynamo in Open Cup play tonight and made his fifth appearance and third start in all competitions this season.
FW Marlon Hairston made his 12th appearance of the season and started his fourth game in all competitions for the Dynamo.
MF Tommy McNamara made his Open Cup debut with the Dynamo and continueed his streak of having played in every game this season for the club. With GK Joe Willis and FW Mauro Manotas not dressing for the match, McNamara will be the only player on the squad who has played in every match.
FW Michael Salazar, Jr. made his first appearance for the Dynamo when he came in for FW Ronaldo Peña in the 79th minute.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 12, 2019
- Kekuta Manneh's goal in extra time powers Orange and Blue into fifth round of U.S. Open Cup - FC Cincinnati
- D.C. United Beat Philadelphia 2-1 in Extra Time in the U.S. Open Cup - D.C. United
- Orlando City Advances to U.S. Open Cup Round of 16 with 3-1 Win at Memphis - Orlando City SC
- FC Dallas Defeats OKC Energy FC 4-0 - FC Dallas
- Sporting Exits Open Cup in Loss to Minnesota - Sporting Kansas City
- Notes & Quotes: New York City FC 4 - 0 North Carolina FC - New York City FC
- Orlando City SC Loans Josue Colman to Cerro Porteno - Orlando City SC
- Tour Aguila Returns to Texas with the Mexico City Derby - FC Dallas
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. Portland Timbers (Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup) - June 12, 2019 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Atlanta United-Charleston Battery Fourth Round U.S. Open Cup Match Rescheduled for June 13 - Atlanta United FC
- Philadelphia Union's Mark McKenzie to Return as Ambassador for Future Soccer Stars Foundation PlayDay - Philadelphia Union
- By the Numbers: Open Cup 2019 - Orlando City SC
- #FCDvOKC: 5Things You Need to Know About the Match - FC Dallas
- Sounders FC Signs Six Tacoma Defiance Players to Short-Term Agreements - Seattle Sounders FC
- ACF Fiorentina Replaces AS Roma in 2019 International Champions Cup - New York Red Bulls
- Real Salt Lake Hires Tom Spall as Academy Director - Real Salt Lake
- FC Dallas Loans Francis Atuahene, Ema Twumasi to Austin Bold FC - FC Dallas
- Real Salt Lake Drops 3-0 Result to LAFC in U.S. Open Cup - Real Salt Lake
- LAFC Defeats Real Salt Lake 3-0 to Advance in Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup - Los Angeles FC
- Vako scores twice, including game-winner, as San Jose advances to Fifth Round - San Jose Earthquakes
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Falls 2-1 to Saint Louis FC in Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup - Chicago Fire
- Postgame Notes: Houston Dynamo 3-2 Austin Bold FC (U.S. Open Cup Fourth Round) - Houston Dynamo
- Red Bulls Drop out of Open Cup, Fall to New England, 3-2 in OT - New York Red Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Houston Dynamo Stories
- Houston Dynamo Adds Omid Namazi and Pablo Mastroeni as Assistant Coaches
- Houston Dynamo Name Tab Ramos Head Coach
- Mexican Powers Club America & C.F. Monterrey to Face off in LIGA MX Friendly at BBVA Stadium
- Four Houston Dynamo Players Called up for International Duty
- Match Between Tigres U.A.N.L. and Club Santos Laguna at BBVA Stadium Cancelled